Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driver using bus lane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭ignorance is strength

jimd2 wrote: »
    Just one question, do you follow your fellow cyclists after they break red lights? Not all do break lights but such a high percentage do break lights that you will almost certainly see other cyclists break lights on a daily basis.

With your sense of zeal and being a fellow cyclist you might be just what the road safety authority need to get people to change their ways.

Surely - surely - you can see that the illegal actions of cars are far more disruptive than those of cyclists? And why must the OP enforce all laws? Are they not entitled to rebuke rule-breakers that particularly annoy them without also having to tell someone walking by to pick up their litter? When you break a rule, it’s not the police or the state you are affecting, it’s your fellow citizens; therefore, this attitude of “stay out of this” is idiotic.

Based on your post history you seem to be getting into these situations a lot ...

I genuinely hate your attitude. Why, from that, do you disparage the OP rather than the road users whose behaviour is the cause?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,068 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Just one question, do you follow your fellow cyclists after they break red lights? Not all do break lights but such a high percentage do break lights that you will almost certainly see other cyclists break lights on a daily basis.
    If YOU have a problem with cyclists breaking red lights, why don't YOU do something (legal) about it to address this problem, like talking to cyclists. Why do you expect OTHER people to take action to address the problem that concerns YOU, instead of sneering at those who do choose to take action themselves?
    greenspurs wrote: »
    Its not just talking , though is it?
    Its more or less instructing another adult to drive their car (albeit where they should be) and then to then further 'advise' the driver that they shouldn't be in the bus lane ? That is doing the work of the Traffic Corps.

People nowadays don't like being told what to do, nevermind by a cyclist.
    Except that it is LITERALLY just talking. It is one adult talking to another adult. The cyclist has now power to instruct the driver to do anything, so it is just talking. He can persuade, convince, influence, maybe even threaten Garda reporting - but it is LITERALLY all talk - nothing else.

The work of the Garda Traffic Corps is to issue fines and prosecute people in Court, so the cyclist is not doing their work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Speaking of cyclists breaking red lights, on my way to work yesterday I saw 2 cyclists coming from different directions both break red lights and crash into each other.

I didn't stick around to see if the OP went over and tapped on their bikes and did their duties of a volunteer Traffic Corp member.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Speaking of cyclists breaking red lights, on my way to work yesterday I saw 2 cyclists coming from different directions both break red lights and crash into each other.

I didn't stick around to see if the OP went over and tapped on their bikes and did their duties of a volunteer Traffic Corp member.

So the lights were red for traffic coming from different directions? Interesting...

• Advertisement

So the lights were red for traffic coming from different directions? Interesting...

Not familiar with the pedestrian light at junction, I take it?

Not familiar with the pedestrian light at junction, I take it?

I've seen them once or twice all right, and they're usually in synch with the traffic lights, which generally work so that when traffic is coming from two different directions, one has red and one has green.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Leaving 'entitlement' aside, I can't see how it would differ from being endangered on an ordinary road.

99.9% of roads do not have a bus lane. How do you manage on those roads or how did you manage before we had any bus lanes?

I don’t get why you always try to bring up irrelevant poiints. It does not matter how long bus lanes are in existence or if there is one at all. Normal rules of the road existed before bus lanes and will stil exist if they were scrapped right now.

If a motorist pulls into a bus lane or passes a cyclist without regard to their presence or safety on any other lane, and by doing so impedes or endangers them, that cyclist is entitled to be pissed off by their poor driving and breach of the RTA. If they can take that up with the motorist, that’s their choice. Motorists are quite capable of using their car horns to intimidate and impose their thoughts on other road users, including cyclists. We don’t have a horn to sound and a bell is ineffective in most cases. Please bear in mind, this is motorist behaviour led...if there is no issue with their driving there is no reason to confront. If you don’t do that, fine, but it’s not wrong to challenge a driver if their driving is substandard. It’s not policing to do either. It should be a conversation between two civil adults but many motorist just use it to further make a point that cyclists are some form of low life that should not be on the roads.

I have a question for you:
    Have you ever beeped another road user and if so, was that just to say ‘hello’ or advise that motorist of something, possibly their poor driving ? And before you say it, I know the rules about sounding a car horn, but many motorists don’t, and use it to vent and intimidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

In a period when I went back to college, and my weekly commute expanded hugely, and I was cycling through much busier streets, I did go through a brief phase of talking to drivers about their wrongdoings, only where it affected me. It was a horrible experience of hostility, scorn and abuse, and I was much happier when I stopped doing it.

I can see why this looks like tacit condoning of such behaviour, but, honestly, it was a waste of time, and if I were in some way required to keep confronting drivers, I'd probably stop cycling.

I've seen them once or twice all right, and they're usually in synch with the traffic lights, which generally work so that when traffic is coming from two different directions, one has red and one has green.

And at what point in this scenario do pedestrians go? Lights were red for all traffic lanes as pedestrian lights were green.

• Advertisement

And at what point in this scenario do pedestrians go? Lights were red for all traffic lanes as pedestrian lights were green.

What junction was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Surely - surely - you can see that the illegal actions of cars are far more disruptive than those of cyclists? And why must the OP enforce all laws? Are they not entitled to rebuke rule-breakers that particularly annoy them without also having to tell someone walking by to pick up their litter? When you break a rule, it’s not the police or the state you are affecting, it’s your fellow citizens; therefore, this attitude of “stay out of this” is idiotic.

Surely - surely - you can see that the illegal actions of cyclists in breaking the red lights are more frequent and potentially as dangerous (if not more so) than drivers driving in the bus lane?

Neither should be happening but I am rightly pointing out both issues that our zealous cyclist should be aware of.

That said I am well aware of the very very dangerous actions of some people in cars as I was almost in a very serious accident yesterday due to a lunatic overtaking movement.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    In a period when I went back to college, and my weekly commute expanded hugely, and I was cycling through much busier streets, I did go through a brief phase of talking to drivers about their wrongdoings, only where it affected me but, honestly, it was a waste of time, and if I were in some way required to keep confronting drivers, I'd probably stop cycling.

How do you know that it was a waste of time?

I don't think anyone is suggesting that confronting drivers should be mandatory or expected, but I don't see the rationale for sneering at those who do confront either.

Wow, my point summarised completely.

The frequency of breaking of red lights by cyclists is so high that our zealous cyclist must be seeing it happening every day and probably cringing (but maybe joining them on occasions perhaps?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

This post has been deleted.

How many posts are you taking about. I've been cycling to work 4 days per week for the 8 years.....each week 180km.

I have 4 close calls in 2 days. Of those 2 really shook me.

I had two close calls on Monday morning and two again yesterday morning.

I explained all 4.....please explain how am i "getting into these situaions"....these were a result of dangerous driving and not dangerous cycling

All this in the backdrop of 2 cyclists dying on Irish roads in the last 10 days.

As a result of these I've just bought a cycle camera.

With your sense of zeal and being a fellow cyclist you might be just what the road safety authority need to get people to change their ways.

I spoke to one cyclist who almost killed himself going through a red light. He didn't appreciate it.

I had to shout at one to stop who went up the inside of a left turning lorry.

Spoke to another cycling in the cycle lane without their hands on the handlebar.

If YOU have a problem with cyclists breaking red lights, why don't YOU do something (legal) about it to address this problem, like talking to cyclists. Why do you expect OTHER people to take action to address the problem that concerns YOU, instead of sneering at those who do choose to take action themselves?

Ha ha Andrew you are a little sensitive to my comments.

If I was to go after every cyclist that breaks a red light in Dublin I would be causing much more potential danger to my fellow road users as I would be most likely stopped at said red light while said cyclist is weaving in and out of traffic way in front.

I did take a drivers details yesterday to report to gardai.

micar wrote: »
    I spoke to one cyclist who almost killed himself going through a red light. He didn't appreciate it.

I had to shout at one to stop who went up the inside of a left turning lorry.

Spoke to another cycling in the cycle lane without their hands on the handlebar.

I have to say fair play to you. Well done.

What junction was this?

Weird question. Why would the specific junction be relevant?

If you mean type, it was a crossroads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭ignorance is strength

Surely - surely - you can see that the illegal actions of cyclists in breaking the red lights are more frequent and potentially as dangerous (if not more so) than drivers driving in the bus lane?

Neither should be happening but I am rightly pointing out both issues that our zealous cyclist should be aware of.

“Surely” is used in that way when it is self-evident. It is not self-evident that cyclists breaking a red light is significantly dangerous to anyone but themselves. (This is not to defend rule-breaking cyclists; it annoys me no end, as a pedestrian, when they cut in front of me when I’m crossing on a green light.) You might notice that I called it disruptive, not dangerous. It’s hardly dangerous that a car is in a bus lane. But the disruption it causes and the indirect effect in corrupting “road morals” is significant.

I can’t even be bothered to respond to the second paragraph.

• Advertisement

Weird question. Why would the specific junction be relevant?

If you mean type, it was a crossroads.
    Weird answer - is there something to hide? What particular junction was it? What roads came together at this junction? I'm interested to know what particular junction has red lights for traffic coming from different directions at the same time.

Ha ha Andrew you are a little sensitive to my comments.

If I was to go after every cyclist that breaks a red light in Dublin I would be causing much more potential danger to my fellow road users as I would be most likely stopped at said red light while said cyclist is weaving in and out of traffic way in front.

I did take a drivers details yesterday to report to gardai.

So why do you expect other people to do it, if you're not prepared to do it yourself?

I guess you could try going after the 88% of red light jumpers that are motorists, not cyclists (ref: Luas red light camera).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The frequency of breaking of red lights by cyclists is so high
    12%.
    http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Road%20Safety/Observational%20Surveys/RSA%20observational%20study%202015%20%E2%80%93%20Cyclist%20compliance%20with%20traffic%20lights.pdf

i know - the plural of anecdote, etc. etc. - but last year or the year before, cycling along collins avenue and onto the malahide road, i decided to keep track of how many times, when a light went amber or red, a motorist would break it.
    i gave up after 12 - in a row. as in, every single junction i came to when i could see the transition of the lights, at least one motorist broke the lights, to the point i became bored and stopped counting.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

Approaching a left turn , the line is broken to enable left turn.
    On several occasions I have been almost hit and, honked at by cars speeding illegally in the bus lane.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Mod note: this thread is not about cyclists and red lights, if you are new to the forum I would suggest you familiarise yourself with the charter before posting.
    Please stay on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Weird answer - is there something to hide? What particular junction was it? What roads came together at this junction? I'm interested to know what particular junction has red lights for traffic coming from different directions at the same time.

Perhaps I can offer a couple here, just as examples of such types of junctions where red lights show in all directions simultaneously:

Beaumont Road/Shantalla Road
    Howth Rd/Sybil Hill Rd.

It may be that it only happens when the pedestrian button has been pressed - I'm almost certain that's the case in Beaumont. In the other one, every single time I've driven through it, I've sat waiting while red showed everywhere for traffic and green for pedestrians on both roads. At this one there are a number of schools beside the junction so that could be why.

Saw the mod note about 'red lights' AFTER I posted, apologies, but was simply answering a query about where this type of junction exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

doozerie wrote: »
    Nowadays? When have been ever liked being told what to do? By a cyclist or anyone else?

And does that mean we should all just turn a blind eye to everything everyone else does?

A blind eye ?? to what everyone else does ?? WHo has insinuated that? Whos has mentioned that ?? Don't be pedantic.

He gestured to her to move out of the bus lane....
    And then decided to have a go again when at the traffic lights ?

Prob has it on GoPro too and on youtube, There are too many of the "self righteous" type of cyclists on the road that think they cant do wrong, and love it when someone else makes a mistake ..

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

There are too many of the "self righteous" type of cyclists on the road that think they cant do wrong, and love it when someone else makes a mistake ..
    Could you point to some specific examples of cyclists who think that they can't do wrong?

Perhaps I can offer a couple here, just as examples of such types of junctions where red lights show in all directions simultaneously:

Beaumont Road/Shantalla Road
    Howth Rd/Sybil Hill Rd.
    I don't think he needs help to tell us where the incident happened yesterday. Or does he?

Prob has it on GoPro too

Don't have one but I did buy a roadhawk cycle camera today.

If impact of a motorist doing something wrong has a significantly greater impact on the safety of the cyclist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Could you point to some specific examples of cyclists who think that they can't do wrong?

I don't think he needs help to tell us where the incident happened yesterday. Or does he?

ie. instructing a motorist to move out of the cycle I would agree with , but then to cycle alongside said motorist and tap on their bonnet to further admonish them , I think is wrong.

Further examples ? have a read through the Cycling forum, and you will be well able to identify the individuals that ,
    A) Think they are always correct about everything.
    B) if you don't agree with their point of view , they will try to pick your posts apart with pedantic skill ,a and a holier than thou attitude.
    C) Motorists are evil
    D) Cyclists are always right.
    E) All of the above

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement