Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driver using bus lane

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,068 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

greenspurs wrote: »
    ie. instructing a motorist to move out of the cycle I would agree with , but then to cycle alongside said motorist and tap on their bonnet to further admonish them , I think is wrong.

You may well think that it's wrong, but it's a big ol' leap from thinking it's wrong, to identifying cyclists that "think they cant do wrong". If he tapped on the car window and said "I'm a perfect cyclist so get out of the bus lane" then you might have a point. But he didn't - so again, I'm mystified as to where you got the "think they cant do wrong" from.
    Further examples ? have a read through the Cycling forum, and you will be well able to identify the individuals that ,
    A) Think they are always correct about everything.
    B) if you don't agree with their point of view , they will try to pick your posts apart with pedantic skill ,a and a holier than thou attitude.
    C) Motorists are evil
    D) Cyclists are always right.
    E) All of the above
    So you definitely don't have any specific examples of cyclists who "think they can't do wrong" then. Interesting.

Do you need to exaggerate so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Weird answer - is there something to hide? What particular junction was it? What roads came together at this junction? I'm interested to know what particular junction has red lights for traffic coming from different directions at the same time.

Well if you must know it is in the IFSC by the new Coffee Angel.

Still confused as to why you would need to know that though as it's a very common type of junction? Bit worrying that you seem to have never noticed one before. Perhaps you have inadvertently gone through a red light at one before thinking you were good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I don't think he needs help to tell us where the incident happened yesterday. Or does he?[/QUOTE]

I think that as I'm directly answering your question which I'm assuming is directed to me, that the mod will not think I'm trying to flout the 'red light discussion' admonition.

I wasn't trying to help him I was trying to help you. You seemed to doubt that such traffic light sequencing exists, and having sat at them a few times, painful when no actual pedestrians are around, I just put them up there.

Wasn't baiting you, or anything like it, and I will apologise if you think that's my motivation.

Cheers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Mod note: any further OT posts will be deleted.
    And keep it civil, attack the post not the poster. Any further bickering will be deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

You may well think that it's wrong, but it's a big ol' leap from thinking it's wrong, to identifying cyclists that "think they cant do wrong". If he tapped on the car window and said "I'm a perfect cyclist so get out of the bus lane" then you might have a point. But he didn't - so again, I'm mystified as to where you got the "think they cant do wrong" from.

So you definitely don't have any specific examples of cyclists who "think they can't do wrong" then. Interesting.

Do you need to exaggerate so much?

Have you read (A) and (B) ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

ie. instructing a motorist to move out of the cycle I would agree with , but then to cycle alongside said motorist and tap on their bonnet to further admonish them , I think is wrong.

I tapped on her bonnet and motioned her to move over.

I could have left it at that......fair enough.

I then spoke to her to ask why she felt she was entitled to use it.

As a motorist as well it irks me when I see motorists driving up the bus lane to get ahead of traffic. Am sure many motorist would like to ask those drivers why they feel that are allowed to use the bus lane.

So I was being a bol-lox on purpose.

I see many motorists in the morning who feel it's ok to use the bus lane as an under taking lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

How do you know that it was a waste of time?

I don't think anyone is suggesting that confronting drivers should be mandatory or expected, but I don't see the rationale for sneering at those who do confront either.

In terms of making me feel better, it was counterproductive. In terms of making my route less stressful, it was counterproductive. In the greater scheme, I suppose those people I tried to talk to might have rethought their driving style, but I don't think they did (no way of knowing this).

I hope I didn't come across as sneering at people who do confront. I just would counsel against it, if anyone were especially interested in my counsel (they're not).

EDIT: There are still occasions when I go to have a word with someone over something they've done, but I seldom feel as if it was worth it afterwards, and I do it rarely. Your mileage may vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

micar wrote: »
    I tapped on her bonnet and motioned her to move over.

I could have left it at that......fair enough.

I then spoke to her to ask why she felt she was entitled to use it.

As a motorist as well it irks me when I see motorists driving up the bus lane to get ahead of traffic. Am sure many motorist would like to ask those drivers why they feel that are allowed to use the bus lane.

So I was being a bol-lox on purpose.

I see many motorists in the morning who feel it's ok to use the bus lane as an under taking lane.

I agree with you about motorists being cheesed off sitting in traffic and watching chancers driving up the bus lane, then some nitwit lets them back in when either : a Garda appears on the horizon; a bus is stopped at a bus stop blocking their progress.

I'm mainly a motorist now, but years ago I cycled daily to work from one side of the city to the other. I would NEVER strike a vehicle or admonish a driver. I once saw a cyclist being absolutely felled, when he laid his hand on a pedestrian. Quite simply, you never know who you're dealing with. Either let it go, or report it to the authorities (no matter how ineffective you might think that to be).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

greenspurs wrote:
    A blind eye ?? to what everyone else does ?? WHo has insinuated that? Whos has mentioned that ?? Don't be pedantic.

He gestured to her to move out of the bus lane....
    And then decided to have a go again when at the traffic lights ?

Prob has it on GoPro too and on youtube, There are too many of the "self righteous" type of cyclists on the road that think they cant do wrong, and love it when someone else makes a mistake ..

I don't get it. You tell the OP they were out of order and "doing the work of the Traffic Corps", etc. I ask whether you think that basically we should all ignore the behaviour of others and your response is peppered with stuff like "self righteous [cyclists]", "cant do wrong", derisory references to someone posting stuff on youtube, etc. No room for discussion, then.

...incidentally, you are missing an apostrophe there - sorry, I could let that go but, you know, I can't do wrong and stuff, my pedantic self righteous smugness would never let me forgive myself, etc.

greenspurs wrote:
    Further examples ? have a read through the Cycling forum, and you will be well able to identify the individuals that ,
    A) Think they are always correct about everything.
    B) if you don't agree with their point of view , they will try to pick your posts apart with pedantic skill ,a and a holier than thou attitude.
    C) Motorists are evil
    D) Cyclists are always right.
    E) All of the above

Wow. How did we get here, exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

tomasrojo wrote: »
    In a period when I went back to college, and my weekly commute expanded hugely, and I was cycling through much busier streets, I did go through a brief phase of talking to drivers about their wrongdoings, only where it affected me. It was a horrible experience of hostility, scorn and abuse, and I was much happier when I stopped doing it.

I can see why this looks like tacit condoning of such behaviour, but, honestly, it was a waste of time, and if I were in some way required to keep confronting drivers, I'd probably stop cycling.

Choosing not to take issue with the antisocial, even dangerous, behaviour of others is fair enough, that's a personal choice for each and every one of us. What bothers me though is when people seem to attack others for the very fact of making a choice different to theirs, as is the case with quite a few posts in this thread.

If someone feels that they can make a difference for the better, by no more than taking issue with someone's irresponsible behaviour, and if they take it upon themselves to do so in a way that is legal and rational, then I applaud them for it. Question their reasoning, their methods, etc., that's all fine as far as I am concerned, but deriding them just for trying to do something "good" is bizarre. If we get the society we deserve, as I think is likely, I don't want to be part of the kind of society that some people in this thread are so vocally advocating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Bet you a tenner you wouldn't have done that if you looked in the window and saw me looking back at you. Grow up.

What’s so wrong with tapping your bonnet? If I tapped it, it would be due to your driving and no other reason. It’s not like your bonnet gets damaged, or would you prefer to have it dented from hitting somebody through careless driving ? The tapping is also a call for a driver to cop on or as you put it, “Grow up”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

This happens to me alot with a car coming up behind me on cycle lane. I play dumb and move out to middle of the lane so they cant pass me and then cycle as slowly as possibly can so they actually end up going slower than if they were in the proper lane. Cars won't usually leave them slip back into car lane so they're stuck frustrated and hopefully learning a lesson !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

seefin wrote: »
    This happens to me alot with a car coming up behind me on cycle lane. I play dumb and move out to middle of the lane so they cant pass me and then cycle as slowly as possibly can so they actually end up going slower than if they were in the proper lane. Cars won't usually leave them slip back into car lane so they're stuck frustrated and hopefully learning a lesson !

I live very close to Dublin City Centre so a lot of my cycling takes me through very traffic busy areas, I really couldn't be bothered doing anything like this, the only thing it really achieves is you getting into a confrontation and who needs the stress of that

• Site Banned Posts: 13 Shanowen Shakedown

If there’s no bus or taxi (or any other genuine user of the bus lane) behind or anywhere in the queue of traffic, just hit the brakes and stay stationary which will force them back into the lane they should be in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Summer In the City

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    What’s so wrong with tapping your bonnet? If I tapped iit, it would be due to your driving and no other reason. It’s not like your bonnet gets damaged, or would you prefer to have it dented from hitting somebody through careless driving ? The tapping is also a call for a driver to cop on or as you put it, “Grow up”

Because you have no right to tap anyone's car. Also the tapping isn't the main problem here. Following the woman down the road to scold her further would get you so much abuse off most men the op wouldn't have done it in a fit.

I borrowed my mother's car the other day which no man would ever buy. I was moving slowly and indicating to pull in to a drive way to my right. Some dope behind pulled out and tried to overtake me almost colliding with the side of my car. He was apoplectic until I rolled down the window and he saw who he was dealing with. All apologies then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Because you have no right to tap anyone's car. Also the tapping isn't the main problem here. Following the woman down the road to scold her further would get you so much abuse off most men the op wouldn't have done it in a fit.

I borrowed my mother's car the other day which no man would ever buy. I was moving slowly and indicating to pull in to a drive way to my right. Some dope behind pulled out and tried to overtake me almost colliding with the side of my car. He was apoplectic until I rolled down the window and he saw who he was dealing with. All apologies then.

I responded to your post and your post only. It was subsequently deleted. I wonder why?
    Why do you feel you have to end posts in a threatening or intimidatory way? Is that how you fancy yourself - a tough guy ? If your driving endangered me, I would not care how you looked in your car, and if you threatened me or worse I would report you for it. Chill out!

Bet you a tenner you wouldn't have done that if you looked in the window and saw me looking back at you.
    Some dope behind pulled out and tried to overtake me almost colliding with the side of my car. He was apoplectic until I rolled down the window and he saw who he was dealing with. All apologies then.

Ronnie Pickering?

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    I responded to your post and your post only. It was subsequently deleted. I wonder why?
    Why do you feel you have to end posts in a threatening or intimidatory way? Is that how you fancy yourself - a tough guy ? If your driving endangered me, I would not care how you looked in your car, and if you threatened me or worse I would report you for it. Chill out!

I didn't delete anything.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Ronnie Pickering?

Hardly, I didn't even open my mouth. My point is that the op wouldn't have behaved the way he did if it was a man driving the 4x4.

I didn't delete anything.

Your post "Bet you a tenner you wouldn't have done that if you looked in the window and saw me looking back at you. Grow up." was removed

I spoken a lot more men than women about their driving......please don't assume I wouldn't have the balls to speak to you.

• Advertisement

Your post "Bet you a tenner you wouldn't have done that if you looked in the window and saw me looking back at you. Grow up." was removed

I spoken a lot more men than women about their driving......please don't assume I wouldn't have the balls to speak to you.

I didn't remove it.

Why did this one deserve a thread on boards? Do you have examples of previous threads you have started where you have "spoken" to men?

You can't know that until you're looking into the legendary visage of One Punch Ronnie.

I didn't remove it.

Why did this one deserve a thread on boards? Do you have examples of previous threads you have started where you have "spoken" to men?

A moderator did.

The reason I posted this was because she said she was a on duty guard and said she had a right to use the bus lane.
    She was in civilian clothing and in her private car .

I was questioning the validity of her statement.

Have a read of my post in the near misses forum. Two drivers I demonstrated with were male and the other female.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

thread closed pending review by mods. it's turned into a tit for tat argument that is not going anywhere constructive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement