Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I waive child support?

• 30-03-2018 2:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I wish to waive child support and maintenance in exchange for a one time lump sum favourable asset split. Will a court accept this? My soon to be ex is concerned that I will get the lump sum and be awarded child support on top of it at some point in  the future,  should I petition the court. I am completely willing to release him from any further financial support in order to sever all financial ties. Will a court agree to this and assure  him he is safe from a future claim by me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The child support is for the benefit of the child not for you. When you're child is over 18 and needs financial support for college, age who going to tell him /her that you sold it out?

TLDR unless the amount is sufficient to provide adequately in the future, then no, a court won't agree.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If it's agreed you won't need to go to Court surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Klinger

I don't need to go to court, but he is insisting it is legally water tight, so wants court to rubber stamp it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Why are you so fixed on this lump sum? As someone else has already mentioned, maintenance is for the child'd upkeep. It's not your money. If that were me, I would take the money and invest it for the kids.

What did you intend to do with the lump sum? Was it gong to be out away for the benefit of the chidlren?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Klinger

This is how he wants to do it, not me. I am willing to agree to it, it is a significant amount and will allow our child to be well cared for, including college. Its not about me, or my needs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement