Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike for Triathalon

Options
  • 30-03-2018 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi all

I am looking for advice regarding a road bike for triathlons. I have signed up for an Olympic Triathalon next month and badly need to upgrade my bike as it is second hand and 10/12 years old.

Looked yesterday at a Cube Attain race GTC 2016 which I liked but to be honest my knowledge on bikes is limited. Would anyone have knowledge or experience of this bike or be able to recommend a better alternative in the same type of budget of €1200 - €1400.

Thanks in advance for any guidance, advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭carbonceiling

Don't worry about the bike, just get your existing bike serviced, then turn up and have a go at the race.

If it's your first race, it really doesn't matter what the bike is like. Do a few races and see how you get on first.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭TriFirst

doniepony wrote: »
    Hi all

I am looking for advice regarding a road bike for triathlons. I have signed up for an Olympic Triathalon next month and badly need to upgrade my bike as it is second hand and 10/12 years old.

Looked yesterday at a Cube Attain race GTC 2016 which I liked but to be honest my knowledge on bikes is limited. Would anyone have knowledge or experience of this bike or be able to recommend a better alternative in the same type of budget of €1200 - €1400.

Thanks in advance for any guidance, advice

It has a good spec in that its got an ultegra groupset and weighs just over 8kg so if you can manage to get it for 12-1400 then fair play to you. Cube is a decent brand also. Personally I opted for a disc brake bike when I upgraded as disc brakes are a step up from caliper brakes especially when it comes to braking in the wet. The downside with disc brakes is they add a bit of weight and cost to the overall cost, but if you can afford it its worth doing. Most of the bike bike manufacturers are scaling up production of their disc brake bike range, and I think its only a matter of time before caliper brakes become a thing of the past.

Advertisement