Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ready Player One

Options
  • 30-03-2018 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭

Surprised that of all the forums on Boards, the VR forum doesnt have a Ready Player One thread!

Cant get to see it till next Tuesday or Wednesday myself, so no spoilers please.

Cant wait though. VR was what persuaded me to build my first Gaming Rig in 10 years back in 2016 and this movie is what has persuuaded me to venture to the Cinema again for the first time since Avatar in 2009!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I can't believe how many people say they "read the book".

I've never even heard of the book or the author. Was it a big trend to read this book a few years back or something???

Surprised gamers are still reading books en masse too :)

I'm going purely out of curiosity. Reckon IMAX is the way to go, or 2D sufficient?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

The book's fun but its literally "80s reference - The Quest."
    Also there's a couple of decent tie in games free on the Viveport app (not sure if there's a way of getting them to work with the rift though).
    https://www.viveport.com/apps/efc1113a-3041-45e5-9ace-9bb68e3b0890

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Read the book a few years ago, its good fun and worth a read but as said its really just a nostalgia reference.

Mixed reviews on the movie, a lot of unfortunate changes due to licensing, no frickin pacman, cmon.

The book sounds like a video game version of one of those teen novels like The Hunger Games, so probably why I ignored any references to it.

In fact the movie itself looks geared toward that sort of audience and I'd give it a miss if it weren't for the fact that so many VR-heads are saying its a requisite part of VR culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Dr Bob wrote: »
    The book's fun but its literally "80s reference - The Quest."
    Also there's a couple of decent tie in games free on the Viveport app (not sure if there's a way of getting them to work with the rift though).
    https://www.viveport.com/apps/efc1113a-3041-45e5-9ace-9bb68e3b0890

Aechs Garage is a tie in on Sansar (free). Pretty cool. Has BSG OST Cylon Raider and Colonial Viper, the Starfighter from Buck Rogers, Ferris Buellers Day Off Vintage Ferrari, ED209 from Robocop, the Winnebago from Spaceballs, the 2001 Space Pod and Iron Giant. Have to create a Sansar account and theres a ong loading time.

Another good tie-in playable on Rift is the Oasis Zero-G Dance Venue in the WaveVR (free) which is a Social VR Dance Club app. Due to rights issue its only available to US users of steam but as always, where there is a will theres a way ;):D

https://steamdb.info/app/453000/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

Saw it last night and I enjoyed it a lot despite falling asleep a bit due to fatigue but opening the eyes back up in the action moments!

Visuals wise it's one of the most impressive movies I've seen, half way through I was thinking it's not so great but it really made up for it in the second half with all the action.

It has a fitting 80s soundtrack and there's references galore.

Worth watching imo, could only see it in 2D. Might get the 3D Blu-ray when it comes out for bigscreen.

So 2D is good enough? I was more pushed to go the whole IMAX thing for Blade Runner 2049 (which was totally worth it) as I'm a huge Blade Runner fan... but as I know nothing about this movie, perhaps 2D is fine

mrcheez wrote: »
    So 2D is good enough? I was more pushed to go the whole IMAX thing for Blade Runner 2049 (which was totally worth it) as I'm a huge Blade Runner fan... but as I know nothing about this movie, perhaps 2D is fine

I'd say go for the 3D if you can as it would be amazing i reckon. I didn't have the option.

Apparently 3d is supposed to be a major thing in this flick. HMM might need to IMAX it

• Advertisement

mrcheez wrote: »

That's the 3d Blu-ray bought for me!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I was looking for an excuse to start putting YT videos up again , and VR and Gauntlet was a good enough reason to!

Saw it at the IMAX. Very enjoyable flick. Real summer blockbuster feel to it and feels like the summer has started :)

I knew nothing of the story so enjoyed it for what it was and the 3D was so good you forgot you had glasses on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Saw it in Imax, very enjoyable film.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Doge wrote: »

...because it was only available on Viveport till today or yesterday.

Calibos wrote: »
    ...because it was only available on Viveport till today or yesterday.

I just realised that gauntlet was part of the mini games so Dr. Bob was on the case a while back!

Advertisement