Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What week go to doctor to confirm pregnancy

• 30-03-2018 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

What week do you go to doctor to confirm pregnancy? Asking for my sister who is 4 weeks according to one of those online apps (three confirmed chemist bought tests) is 4 weeks too early to go?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭Ms2011

You can go to the doctor whenever you want but the maternity hospital won't see you until closer to 12 weeks unless there is a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭cornflake1

I went at five weeks, gave myself a week after the test. The maternity and infant care scheme, which covers free GP visits just says to go to the GP before 12 weeks. Hospital visit then at 12 weeks. If your sister wants to go private and has a preferred consultant then ringing them early on is recommended in case they fill up. Usually give an early scan too around 8/9 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

Just to let you know, visiting the doctor initially isn't strictly necessary - if you're happy with your pregnancy test results you can just self-refer to your hospital of choice. That's what I did on my second pregnancy and it worked out grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

On my 2 pregnancies I’ve gone to the doctor about a week after doing the test but they just took my word for it and referred me onto the maternity hospital where I was seen around 12/13 weeks. They didn’t do their own pregnancy test. I really just went to get signed up to them for the combined care scheme and to get my pregnancies on their records, could have referred myself to the maternity hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

The tests that you buy in the chemist can be more sensitive than the GP has so don’t go too early. I went at around 5 weeks and the GP test came back negative (even though I was pregnant and confirmed by home test). Around 5-6 weeks is the earliest to go, just to get booked in for combined care. Have an idea of which consultant you want before the GP visit- I got caught out by this so my GP chose for me (I come from UK where you don’t get a choice!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Never went. I didn't want combined care so contacted the hospital myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

I went at 5 weeks to get signed up for the combined care. GP didn't bother doing the test as she said the at home tests are actually better than the dipstick one she'd be using and if that told me I was the 3-5 weeks pregnant it meant I was.
    Have her research as well whether she wants to go public or private. I didn't realise I'd be making the decision that early and had to call them back to confirm before they could refer me on to the hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭appledrop

I went about 5-6 weeks + doctor did do test but showed up faint enough. Apparently the chemist tests are better. I would advise going to GP as mine was very helpful gave advice about combined care + answered questions I had about going public v private.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

If she’s a first time mom with any question then the gp visit can be useful.

Some suggestions to be mindful of
    -need to get on folic acid and if high BMI need prescription folic acid
    -any questions about medications you are on currently and whether they are suitable for pregnancy or you need to come off
    -things to avoid eating/drinking
    -concerns about travel
    -advice on hospital or consultant and public v private if you haven’t research done yourself

Advertisement