Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Cheese do you put in your Toasties?

Options
  • 30-03-2018 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭

Im looking for a nice strong cheese that melts well and doesnt turn to water when I toast it, Ive tried the sliced Edam and Gouda and a couple of others from Aldi and they're nice enough, melt perfectly into stringy cheese but a bit bland in the taste department, Im looking for something with a proper kick to it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

You could add something like Dijon Mustard or Worcestershire Sauce to bring out the flavour....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

You could add something like Dijon Mustard or Worcestershire Sauce to bring out the flavour....

^^ This.
    After spending some time with French friends, I started making quite a bit more of an effort with my cheese toasties. I make a really thick cheese sauce, with a dollop of mustard and a pinch of nutmeg. I spread that on the toast, then put a slice of emmental or similar on top, then toast it. A bit more like a croque monsieur, but without the ham.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭caviardreams

If you feel like cheating, M&S do a nice cheese on toast spread :D
    https://www.marksandspencerfoodhall.co.uk/product/posh-cheese-on-toast--49f20c5f-b031-40bb-b396-e45bc586c833

I like a nice slice of an extra mature cheddar - tesco actually have a nice one, or Dubliner works well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I typically mix a few different cheeses together as there is no one perfect cheese for texture and taste IMO. And you should always freshly grate the cheese. Using pre-grated or sliced cheese just won’t work as well either.

I mostly use the Specially Selected vintage cheddar from Aldi, then I’d add some aged Dutch Gouda for a bit more flavour. Then I add a cheese that will provide more gooiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

If you feel like cheating, M&S do a nice cheese on toast spread :D
    https://www.marksandspencerfoodhall.co.uk/product/posh-cheese-on-toast--49f20c5f-b031-40bb-b396-e45bc586c833

I like a nice slice of an extra mature cheddar - tesco actually have a nice one, or Dubliner works well too.

I bet that M&S stuff is nice - just reading the ingredients makes me think it's a good idea! :D

Didn't Aldi use to do "burger melts"? Cheesy roundy things you'd put on top of your burger and melt them to make cheeseburgers? Those may work well, too, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Shenshen wrote: »
    A bit more like a croque monsieur, but without the ham.

A croque madame?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jlayay

mozzarella.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Look at ye with all your fancy cheese.

Toasties are lot more simple with easy singles:)

I think it's only about 10% cheese but it's whole lot easier.

Mustard is a nice addition though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

A toasted Stilton cheese with mango chutney sandwich is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Jlayay wrote: »
    mozzarella.
    I much prefer if mozzarella is browned. I have a nonstick pancake pan which I never overheat (so still works well!). I sprinkle grated moazzarella direct on the pan and put 2 slices of bread in the toaster. You can even flip the cheese if done enough, but I usually just press a piece of toast into it and wipe it around so it all sticks. Now flip the pan upside down holding the toast and it should just fall off. Wipe the toasted cheese with some mustard and on with the other slice (or not).

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Look at ye with all your fancy cheese.

Toasties are lot more simple with easy singles:)
    I use easi singles on burgers but do not like them on their own on toasted sandwiches. They have mature easi singles now, currently on offer in tesco. They are not really that much different to regular ones though

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=289148849

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thargor wrote: »
    Im looking for a nice strong cheese that melts well and doesnt turn to water when I toast it, Ive tried the sliced Edam and Gouda and a couple of others from Aldi and they're nice enough, melt perfectly into stringy cheese but a bit bland in the taste department, Im looking for something with a proper kick to it.

I use a medium cheddar. Maybe try mature cheddar?

Just realised I am out of bread because of a craze for cheese toasties... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Rediscovered my love for Easi Singles in the snow.(nothing else left in the shops!)

Nostalgia for childhood -easi singles on watching Wanderly Wagon. Loved how the cheese blackened and blistered.

To bring it up to date - Bit of wostershire space on top.

Tried the mature ones and agree no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I think easi singles are best on a slice of Brennan’s and popped under the grill until they puff up and brown. Mmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Add some peanut butter to yr toastie.......it's fab

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lidl vintage cheddar makes a great toastie.
    Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, chilli flakes (preferably Espalette), pontack sauce and lots of black pepper all add good flavour to a cheese toastie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

When it comes to melted cheese, really there's only cheddar and then everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

I'm quite partial to a bit of Port Salut or Applewood Smoked cheese. Lovely with ham or the thinly sliced chorizo or even just tomato slices and a bit of salt and pepper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Aldi have a mature cheddar which is almost "soft" so old is it - comes in a black wrapper. Not sure of the brand. That and a splash of WS works :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just tried cheddar on a sliced hot cross bun as I am low on bread. My advice is DO NOT DO THIS.. OK? OK!

Advertisement