Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old LapTop.

Options
  • 30-03-2018 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

My uncle gave me an old laptop, it's running Windows XP.
    The problem is: It's not showing 'available networks', it's just not giving me a choice to connect to my Sky Router.. Everything else I have just shows available networks and I choose my home broadband router and just enter the router password and it's connected...
    If I get a flash drive will that do the job!?
    Does a flash drive plugged into laptop usb then pick up available networks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

A usb flash drive provides some storage space, it has no effect on network connectivity.

It sounds like the problem in the network card, it could be disabled, could be faulty, might only work on 2.4 and your router is pushing out 5.0. Do you see any neighbours WiFi networks on the laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Have you checked for an on/off switch for the wireless?
    Some laptops have such a switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,630 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Sounds like OP call USB WiFi adapter a "flash drive".

Yes, USB WiFi adapter would do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

Windows XP didn't support WPA2 until Service Pack 3.
    Before doing anything else, check to see what version of Windows is on it - if it says SP2 or lower, you'll have to update it.
    While you're at it, changing the OS to almost anything else will give you a better experience!

What model is the laptop? It should be easy to work out then if there's built in wireless, but even a USB wifi dongle won't connect to modern networks without the update.

• Advertisement

Correct me if I'm wrong
    1.WPA2 - security protocol - even if not supported still should show SSID as available network if WiFi card present. Wouldn't be able to connect obviously.
    2.With USB adapter should work as encryption/handshake is done on/via card/adapter. Getting drivers for XP might be culprit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

If there's a WiFi card, it should show ssid, but likely not connect to it. Finding the model of the laptop helps rule out there being an existing wireless card that's turned off.

WPA2 would still require support in the operating system on a usb dongle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Sorry guys, thanks for all your quick replies.
    I will check all this when I'm finished working tonight.

theteal wrote: »
    A usb flash drive provides some storage space, it has no effect on network connectivity.

It sounds like the problem in the network card, it could be disabled, could be faulty, might only work on 2.4 and your router is pushing out 5.0. Do you see any neighbours WiFi networks on the laptop?

It doesn't even show a list of available WiFi 📶 neighbours etc

It does give some options about ethernet and some other connections... Vodafone is showing in internet option, that's probably how it was connected before!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Windows XP is a real pain when it comes to wireless. Are you sure that there is wireless available with your current computer configuration? Maybe your uncle had a PCMCIA or USB wireless adapter installed.

You said that there are wireless connections in the list. They may be old ones that the laptop were able to access. Follow this to remove all older connections and try again.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-networking/how-to-delete-a-wifi-network-profile-windows-xp/602a616d-8adc-4e73-9f52-8213c1a9ba08

Do you have an ethernet cable that you could use to connect the laptop to the router? It would help us to know if the network adapters are active or not.

niallb wrote: »
    Windows XP didn't support WPA2 until Service Pack 3.
    Before doing anything else, check to see what version of Windows is on it - if it says SP2 or lower, you'll have to update it.
    While you're at it, changing the OS to almost anything else will give you a better experience!

What model is the laptop? It should be easy to work out then if there's built in wireless, but even a USB wifi dongle won't connect to modern networks without the update.

It's an E-SYSTEM EI 3102 and it's in great condition..

I'll try Monday connecting Ethernet cable.

This may be what it was connected to before!?

Wireless Zero Configuration Reference
    The Wireless Zero Configuration can also be started and stopped from a command prompt. To start the Wireless Zero Configuration, run the following command:
    net start wzcsvc

To stop the Wireless Zero Configuration, run the following command:
    net stop wzcsvc

• Registered Users Posts: 17 NialltheITGuy

WiFi Card shows Wireless G version, which is old and may not be compatible with today G Versions.

Buy a small usb WiFi with N+ 2.4Ghz / 5ghz ( It will say this on the box ) some have XP Compatibility.

N and AC WiFi standards are in use nowadays, the G standards are old and todays G can be incompatible with old G WiFi Cards.

WiFi: (Confirmed working with XP/Vista/7/8.1/10)
    pcworld dot ie -> tplink tlwn725n usb wireless adapter n150

Source:(Please Google, I cannot post URLS)
    actiontec DOT com evolution-wi-fi-standards-look-802-11abgnac

WiFi Card shows Wireless G version, which is old and may not be compatible with today G Versions.

N and AC WiFi standards are in use nowadays, the G standards are old and todays G can be incompatible with old G WiFi Cards

Are you just making this up as you go along?

802.11b/g/n is the common implemented standard. If you’re saying some 802.11g cards/nics won’t work with 802.11b/g/n routers becuse they’re ‘old G type’, you're wrong.

JZ
    A real life IT guy.

Good write up and it looks promising, I'll try this later and see what happens.

Buy a small usb WiFi with N+ 2.4Ghz / 5ghz ( It will say this on the box ) some have XP Compatibility.

N and AC WiFi standards are in use nowadays, the G standards are old and todays G can be incompatible with old G WiFi Cards.

WiFi: (Confirmed working with XP/Vista/7/8.1/10)
    pcworld dot ie -> tplink tlwn725n usb wireless adapter n150

Source:(Please Google, I cannot post URLS)
    actiontec DOT com evolution-wi-fi-standards-look-802-11abgnac

I'll try configuring it first and if that doesn't work WiFi adapters are pretty cheap, so I'll give that a go :)

• Advertisement

I have experienced numerous older Wireless G based network cards not joining newer Routers.
    (If you dont believe me about this, google it there are many, many, many fine examples)
    It falls on the WPA2 protocol implemented by XP.
    XP clearly supports WPA2 (with updates), but also depends on the wireless card you have, it would have to support wpa2 if using g or n bands.

From an XP Guru:
    1. Make sure, you verify under "Preferred Networks" click on the connection that's not working, click properties.

Verify WPA2 is an option in "Authentication". If it's not download the latest drivers for your wireless adapter, restart computer and check again.

2. Next problem is XP's Wireless Lan Manager; it is absolute garbage on XP for WPA2. I have seen many XP SP3 unable to connect to WPA2 because of this. You need to use the wireless manager that comes with your wireless adapter drivers. When you install them opt to install with the software, not just the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Just be aware most banking websites won’t let you use them if you are using XP and you have to assume any information you put into it is available to scammers has XP is no longer updated or secured by microsoft. As long as you are only doing thinks you would mind anyone else knowing about XP should be fine.

Install Linux, There are many Types but Zorin OS (Irish Guys) have decent Distro.

distrowatch dot org and google what will run well.

I do this with all XP laptops I get. I have many that'll be donated to my local school once all refurbished.

"old G" .... "new G" .....
    WTF you are talking

"old G" .... "new G" .....
    WTF you are talking

G (Original - Old)

Super G (new)

Super AG (new)

I ment to say XP and WPA2/PSK has trouble unless SP3 is installed, still buggy after the fact.

Newer NICS are better. TP-Link N150 less than €20, no issues.

I'm getting a bit confused here, I really just want to get online for now.. Then I can download update any extras to bring this 'baby' into the future.... I can't do all this until Monday,. I'll update you all on my progress.

quickest would be create WEP access on Router TEMPORARILY.

WEP has no problems with XP but very insecure. Use this to connect the XP laptop.

Access to your router is written on the Router. WEP would replace your current WPA2 2.4Ghz setting, G only works at 2.4Ghz, Keep the settings on 5Ghz Wifi side if you have it, no need to change these.

Without changing WiFi Settings:
    If you have a Network cable, plug it in directly to router to go online, make sure ethernet port is active and set to automatic DHCP Lease

@Sam Quentin
    Ignore all that nonsense...., troubleshot you build in WiFi card or get USB adapter, confirm you got SP3 on your XP
    Super G (new)

Super AG (new)
    Non of these were approved as 802.11 Standard, feature only....
    www.pcmag.com
    Be warned, however, that Super G is not standards-based......
    wikipedia.org
    Super G is one of several competing incompatible proprietary extension approaches....
    http://ethw.org
    This feature may interfere with other networks and may not support all b and g client cards.

Even if "feature" not supported should read SSID

We'r getting there..
    Now showing available networks.
    But just wont connect!?

• Advertisement

Only one of those available networks give me a chance to enter 'network key'.

Advertisement