Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old LapTop.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Looks like your network card recognize WPA security protocol only as per your screenshot.
    SKYEEFEB must be on WPA2

447010.PNG

You never confirmed you have SP3 installed.
    For testing purposes you could change security protocol on SKY router to WPA if available and try to connect.
    Note:
    1. All modifications or router should be performed over Ethernet connection(wired connection)
    1. Changing security protocol on router will wipe existing password so take note of it if want to use same again. Record all/any changes done for ease restore
    2. All devices currently connected over WiFi will/might loose connection until original settings restored on router or reconnected with new settings

Also move closer to router to eliminate weak signal issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Looks like your network card recognize WPA security protocol only as per your screenshot.
    SKYEEFEB must be on WPA2

447010.PNG

You never confirmed you have SP3 installed.
    For testing purposes you could change security protocol on SKY router to WPA if available and try to connect.
    Note:
    1. All modifications or router should be performed over Ethernet connection(wired connection)
    1. Changing security protocol on router will wipe existing password so take note of it if want to use same again. Record all/any changes done for ease restore
    2. All devices currently connected over WiFi will/might loose connection until original settings restored on router or reconnected with new settings

Also move closer to router to eliminate weak signal issues.

I don't think it recognized that other eir network either.. I'm sure it issued the same 'can't connect' message as my sky network!? I'm at work now, so can't check until tomorrow or Monday.
    Also I really don't want to change any settings on my Sky router.
    And yes I was nearly beside router when trying to connect...

Edit: What's SP3?

SP3 = service pack 3, last available for XP
    Right click your My Computer icon, choose Properties and under the General tab it will show you if you have XP SP3 installed.

xp_properties.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Out of curiosity, why would anybody want to connect an insecure OS to the internet?

SP3 = service pack 3, last available for XP
    Right click your My Computer icon, choose Properties and under the General tab it will show you if you have XP SP3 installed.

xp_properties.png

SP2

• Advertisement

Available on Microsoft catalog

Available on Microsoft catalog

I'll try plugging in with ethernet cable, then I'll download one of those packs..
    Do you think it'll pick up the internet straight away when I directly plug cable from router to laptop..
    This laptop was hardly used and has still just got only the original programs that come pre-loaded, nothing else has been added.. No pics, no videos, no clutter NOTHING. I've played dash-cam footage on it and the video player is seamless(unlike my go to laptop).
    That's why I'd like this 'baby' up and running, I'll probably only use it for boards.ie, some car forums UK & Ireland that I'm a member off and uploading pics and videos from diy jobs and dash-cams to these forums/websites.. viewing emails and printing documents etc etc..
    Do you think all that would be ok when I get it going, or is XP to old!?
    Thanks

Once wire connected, will be on Internet unless NIC was configured for static IP.
    Be aware that, as was mentioned earlier, XP is waaaay outdated, no longer supported and highly insecure operating system. By connecting it on your network you exposing whole network to risk.
    I helping you troubleshoot WiFi issues on this machine as you ask for it, but same as others here, I do not recommend using this laptop with current OS for Internet browsing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

viewing emails and printing documents etc etc..
    Do you think all that would be ok when I get it going, or is XP to old!?

As long as you are comfortable with anyone reasonably determined reading those documents and emails. While you are using XP you should assume anyone can read what's on your screen and everything you type.

It's not likely but it's not possible to protect against and you would have no way of knowing it's happing so you're better off not taking any risks with anything you don't want others with bad intentions seeing.

Ok so now I'm scared..
    What about refurbished computers, can I refurbish this laptop,,
    Or do I have to be online before I 'refurbish' it??

If someone wants to send me detailed instructions on how to do this then I would be very happy..
    Send by pm if it's an industry secret :)
    Thank You.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

If you increase the memory to 2GB your OS options are much wider.
    The model probably came with 512MB, but 2x 1GB sticks of that age can be picked up for a few euro somewhere like CeX or adverts.

If you just want to use it for web stuff, Cloudready is easily installed and turns an old laptop into something like a Chromebook.
    http://www.neverware.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It will likely be too slow regardless of what you put on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

Install Linux, There are many Types but Zorin OS (Irish Guys) have decent Distro.

distrowatch dot org and google what will run well.

I do this with all XP laptops I get. I have many that'll be donated to my local school once all refurbished.

+1

XP is long out of security support.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Anyone Tried CloudReady?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

would Ubuntu or some other flavour be an option on that laptop?

Unless you get get a very light linux most normal linux distros need decent hardware to run well.

The main issue though is that web sites need a decent hardware to be usable. Unless this machine has at least a late model core2duo with 2.5ghz and at least 2GB of RAM it will crawl regardless of the OS. Its just too old. I think you're wasting your time trying to get it up on the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

beauf wrote: »
    Unless you get get a very light linux most normal linux distros need decent hardware to run well.

The main issue though is that web sites need a decent hardware to be usable. Unless this machine has at least a late model core2duo with 2.5ghz and at least 2GB of RAM it will crawl regardless of the OS. Its just too old. I think you're wasting your time trying to get it up on the web.

antiX could be an option.

https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=antiX

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Double Post

Anyone Tried CloudReady?

Yes. Much simpler to set up than the other chromiumos builds and still available for 32 bit machines.
    Worked flawlessly on the last old laptop I put it on. It has Google's blessing too in recent times.

All I had to do was put it on a usb stick, boot from it and say Yes a few times. The download and installer to usb can be done on another machine.

How did you get it on a usb stick I've tried about 3 times and not got a workable boot drive from it yet. I've tried the Chromebook utility, Rufus, and the windows usb maker.

• Advertisement

How did you get it on a usb stick I've tried about 3 times and not got a workable boot drive from it yet. I've tried the Chromebook utility, Rufus, and the windows usb maker.

The CloudReady USB Maker runs on Windows 7 or newer and is simplest.

There is an install page with other options, but once you unzip the download the Chromebook installer or any other image writer should work too.
    If you want to post this on a separate thread, I'll take a look at it with you.

I don't think it's practical to suggest most other linux options to someone who may not have wide computer experience, but if cloudready works at all, it "just works".

I've been a linux user for nearly 25 years, and I would not recommend AntiX or similar without looking at simpler options first. Even ubuntu which has a reasonably straightforward installer takes a while and does not result in a system that can play common media without a bit of reading.

For the OP's system, so long as it is upgraded to 2GB RAM or more, the rest of it will manage basic web browsing and email with few problems.

niallb wrote: »
    The CloudReady USB Maker runs on Windows 7 or newer and is simplest....

I think you were lucky the forums were full of people having problems creating the usb installer.

I have Linux on an old laptop core2duo 2ghz and 3.5gb of ram but its very slow on many sites. My little atom based netbook is far faster. Probably even a mobile is faster than an old laptop. Many web sites these days are fairly complex and bloated.

I've an slightly newer one with 2.5ghz I upgraded and that fine. So I can only assume the older cpu just can't cut it anymore.

If you can fit a newer CPU might get some more life out of a laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Sam - re your attempt at wireless connection from near the router, I just wondered if it could have been too near?  I read somewhere that the signal from a wifi router goes in a doughnut shape at right angles to the antenna, with a hole in the middle that's a wifi 'dead spot'.  And I seem to remember a distance of at least 1m being recommended.  (But maybe it's irrelevant now anyway?)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Fogmatic wrote: »
    Sam - re your attempt at wireless connection from near the router, I just wondered if it could have been too near? I read somewhere that the signal from a wifi router goes in a doughnut shape at right angles to the antenna, with a hole in the middle that's a wifi 'dead spot'. And I seem to remember a distance of at least 1m being recommended. (But maybe it's irrelevant now anyway?)

No

Advertisement