Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poly Tunnel & Expanding Foam?

Options
  • 30-03-2018 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭

I have a large(ish) polly tunnel with raised beds. This means there is a hard to reach gap between the bed and the curve of the wall. Approx 10 inch at ground level,, and 8 at top of bed. There is always grass & weeds growing there. I pull them up regularly (by balancing myself on the edge of the bed and reaching down) but this is awkward and I cant keep doing this year after year.... but they come back anyway.

How do I control these weeds?

I dont want to use weed killer. Could I use expanding foam to "seal" the gap and stop the grass /weeds from getting root? I thought the foam would be better than concrete as it wont pierce the plastic. But I think I need a lot.

Any other options? thoughts? Anyone try this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Weed membrane.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’d worry about a reaction between the solvents in the foam and the plastic of your tunnel.
    As mentioned above work some weed membrane in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Membrane in the ground and perhaps fill the void with vermiculite as it's light and raises the area up .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Thx folks. Food for thought there.

Will let you know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

You will probably have to bite the bullet and (very carefully) use weedkiller initially, and when it has done its job, and the dead debris removed, put down the weed membrane. In my own tunnel, I gave the whole interior a dose of weed killer, and then covered the whole area with weed membrane, before constructing the beds. I still found some scutch grass invading at the edges but I now try to keep a weed-free border round the outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Thx HP. Have been avoiding it, but think weed killer & membrane (and few awkward hours bent over beds) is best way. Was hoping for something easier!

Wish i had planned something like this before beds went in. Take note anyone thinking of raised beds in poly tunnel!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I've got similar gaps between raised beds and tunnel walls, and I put down weed membrane and covered with gravel (I did this between all the beds to make paths too). You do get a bit of scutch grass/weeds springing up tight to the plastic but it's easy to remove and the weight of the gravel keeps the membrane firmly in place.

Advertisement