Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on noisey Dog

Options
  • 31-03-2018 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

Our neighbors dog barks all the time. At cars, planes,cats,other dogs even passing birds! There back garden where they keep him in right on top of my back garden and my bedroom is at the back of the house. I’ve called around a few times to ask them to calm the dog or take him inside or something but a few hours later he’s back at it. Last Sunday morning at 7am I had to go knocking at the door as he’s was barking since 6. Talking to them doesn’t seem to work Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before and have advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Hi all

Our neighbors dog barks all the time. At cars, planes,cats,other dogs even passing birds! There back garden where they keep him in right on top of my back garden and my bedroom is at the back of the house. I’ve called around a few times to ask them to calm the dog or take him inside or something but a few hours later he’s back at it. Last Sunday morning at 7am I had to go knocking at the door as he’s was barking since 6. Talking to them doesn’t seem to work Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before and have advice?

Constantly.....but unfortunately I can't advise you as my neighbours don't actually care. The incessant barking doesn't seem to bother them. Drives me nuts but unfortunately some people are a law unto themselves :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

They have an environmental officer who handles noise and nuisance issues. A long drawn out process but might be the only way to go. Unfortunately you have talked to them in person on more than one occasion which lets them know who did the reporting. I do not know if you have to complain in person to the neighbour first but it is always wise to keep your identity secret in case of retaliation.

You need to keep and build up a record of occurrences and you may have to sign a written affidavit as to the severity of the noise. Any noise before 8am is not allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

If youve asked them to sort it, and they havent taken the oppurtunity, you now have a choice of the next 8 years of fcukin misery, or falling out with them.

See noisy dogs bit:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/animal_welfare_and_control/control_of_dogs.html

Id try dialogue one more time, and also start a diary of all the times the dog has been a nuisance.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

I can't understand the mentality of people. Surely if its driving you crazy it must be affecting them too?

If they are not open to reason I guess the council is your next option.

You know its not the dogs fault. Is it being kept outside all the time in all weather ? Is it being interacted with ? Is it that the dog is lonely ?

Non legal answer. If after repeated requests to the owners and no joy from the council I would take the dog and drop it at a pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Heckler wrote: »

Non legal answer. If after repeated requests to the owners and no joy from the council I would take the dog and drop it at a pound.

You are seriously suggesting that the op breaks into their neighbour's land and steals their property?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

You are seriously suggesting that the op breaks into their neighbour's land and steals their property?

I don't think he is suggesting that at all. He is simply saying what he would do himself in the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

He did state it was not legal in fairness.

No, I'm stating what I would do in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Op, i had a similar situation with a neighbour but in fairness to him after i complained he got a bark collar for the dog which works a treat as long as they remember to put it on. Even the dog seems happier when he’s not barking and stressed out all the time. I would suggest that to your neighbour but ultimately your only real course of action is through the circuit court if all else fails. When i looked into it before it’s quite an easy process and doesn’t require a solicitor. The dog warden should be able to give you all the details.

emeldc wrote: »
    Op, i had a similar situation with a neighbour but in fairness to him after i complained he got a bark collar for the dog which works a treat as long as they remember to put it on. Even the dog seems happier when he’s not barking and stressed out all the time. I would suggest that to your neighbour but ultimately your only real course of action is through the circuit court if all else fails. When i looked into it before it’s quite an easy process and doesn’t require a solicitor. The dog warden should be able to give you all the details.

Unfortunately some neighbours don't give a flying ****.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately some neighbours don't give a flying ****.

Yep, circuit court it is so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

emeldc wrote: »
    Yep, circuit court it is so.

District!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭qhe0i9zvfgdou8

Heckler wrote:

Do not do this please

District!

Sorry, yes, district.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

pablo128 wrote: »
    I don't think he is suggesting that at all. He is simply saying what he would do himself in the circumstances.

Nice, have the dog put down because it barks.

edit - not you, the person who said they'd take it to the pound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Dogs barks end of story.

I have 2 teacup ones they bark at anything I don't care as there dogs !!!!.

It's like saying put someone down for talking load ...

Dogs barks end of story.

As long as you’re the only one that can hear them, then let them bark away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

The dog could have mental issues or maybe a muzzle could be administered northside dogs are more problematic than southside dogs I believe its there surrounding environment and upbringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Dogs barks end of story.

Every thread about incessant barking has someone come along saying 'dogs bark, get over it'. These must be the worst people to have as neighbours, no consideration for other people's right to live without being tormented by your pets!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

fmpisces wrote: »
    Constantly.....but unfortunately I can't advise you as my neighbours don't actually care. The incessant barking doesn't seem to bother them. Drives me nuts but unfortunately some people are a law unto themselves :rolleyes:

All too common a problem in Ireland sadly...Dogs allowed to bark constantly and annoy neighbours...Dogs allowed out on the roads attacking pedestrians and cyclists.

Some people are ignorant cnuts who should never be allowed to own Dogs, the laws and enforcement in this area are way too lax.

And at the end of the day its often the Dog that eventually suffers the consequence of having a couldn't care less owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Are other near neighbours not affected by the incessant barking also?

Maybe approach other neighbours and speak to the offending owners as a group? There's safety in numbers.

It is soul destroying when your life is affected by this type of noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I can't understand the mentality of people. Surely if its driving you crazy it must be affecting them too?

If they are not open to reason I guess the council is your next option.

You know its not the dogs fault. Is it being kept outside all the time in all weather ? Is it being interacted with ? Is it that the dog is lonely ?

Probably drugged up on benzos that they sleep through it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Rotten12 wrote: »
    Get a nice piece meat add some poison, throw it over when it's dark. Or neighbor is out, horrible to do. But that's life. You tried,

Please dont advise people to break the law by killing a neighbours dog.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Rotten12 wrote: »
    Get a nice piece meat add some poison, throw it over when it's dark. Or neighbor is out, horrible to do. But that's life. You tried,

I've calmed down now, but fcuk that makes me mad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

A dog is a fairly big mammal very similar to a small child in size and physiology. What kills a dog could very easily kill a kid. I knew of people who attempted this poisoning approach who were very heavily fined or imprisoned for their actions.

I know that farmers poison their land to get rid of dogs worrying sheep but this is on their own property and is done to protect sheep from being mauled by carelessly kept dogs where it is impossible to trace the owners.

Data bases and chipping will soon sort this out as will DNA testing of registered dogs in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Ginger83

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Hi all

We had a similar issue years ago, ended up getting a device that emitted a high pitch noise when the dog barked only the dog could hear.

Took about 3 weeks but the dog figured it out in the end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

@rotten12 do no post on this thread again, youre nonsense is not wanted here. Ignoring this instruction will incur a ban

rotten12 banned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

I find if a dog is left out all night it will bark and bark at anything that moves or makes a noise. Once it is put in to it's kennel and locked in it's usually quiet.
    I had two small terriers some years back and once it got duskish they would stark barking and it only stopped when they were put in for the night. Nothing more annoying.
    I like the idea of the high frequency noise triggered by the barking.

Advertisement