Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on noisey Dog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

We had this problem too.
    Now I'm an extremely heavy sleeper and it takes a lot to wake me but this dog would do it.
    A little yippy bark from all hours in the morning.
    It was affected my sleep terrible.
    The partner talked to them, not to be throwing him outside as he's only little and wants to be around ye.
    Didn't really work.
    Thankfully, it's longer an issue because my partner walks our dog with their dog and one of the older children from next door.
    It works. Dog is happy and only barks occasionally.
    Maybe you could walk their dog? Bit of a weird suggestion but it works and you'll enjoy it too.
    Another friend of mine walks his next door neighbours dog too. Their are old and wild struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

The laws are no good and the problem is widespread and I would say it is costing the country millions each year. People all over the country in estates are tormented. I would say every 200 meters there's a dog owner who is causing untold damage to their neighbours.

The only way for this to be solved is to setup an online petition and get it discussed in the dail.

Op your only option is court. Do it for the sake of your sanity. And do it fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

moneymad wrote: »
    The laws are no good and the problem is widespread and I would say it is costing the country millions each year. People all over the country in estates are tormented. I would say every 200 meters there's a dog owner who is causing untold damage to their neighbours.

The only way for this to be solved is to setup an online petition and get it discussed in the dail.

Op your only option is court. Do it for the sake of your sanity. And do it fast.

There are laws and they do work but ultimately people are reluctant to take their neighbours to court which is the only real way when all other negociations have failed. If my neighbour is an ignorant asshole who couldn’t give a sh1t about my peace and quiet, I’d have no issue taking him to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

emeldc wrote: »
    There are laws and they do work but ultimately people are reluctant to take their neighbours to court which is the only real way when all other negociations have failed. If my neighbour is an ignorant asshole who couldn’t give a sh1t about my peace and quiet, I’d have no issue taking him to court.
    No. I don't think the laws are suitable in this day and age anymore. We all know why that is, or we should all know.
    You might have no issue taking someone to court, that doesn't mean other people won't.

Noise pollution is a huge problem all over this country. I'm not sure what percentage of politicians live in built up estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Ginger83 wrote: »
    We had a similar issue years ago, ended up getting a device that emitted a high pitch noise when the dog barked only the dog could hear.

Took about 3 weeks but the dog figured it out in the end.

Just be aware that this noise will also torment any we'll behaved dogs living in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Ginger83

.red. wrote: »
    Just be aware that this noise will also torment any we'll behaved dogs living in the area.

Fair point, never thought of that. We only used it for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Put laxative into sausages and feed them to the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

yenom wrote: »

Or the owner...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

yenom wrote: »
    I've heard of something similar, but it was something a lot stronger that ended the barking for good. Not sure if he was telling he truth (which was very unfair on the dog), but he was desperate as the dog kept waking his young kids during the night and the neighbour would do nothing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Zico !

So what :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

But it's only activated when the dog bark, is that correct, and I imagine the range is limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Ginger83

dieselbug wrote: »
    But it's only activated when the dog bark, is that correct, and I imagine the range is limited.

Thats correct, and 20 metres i think.

Zico ! wrote: »
    So what :rolleyes:

Any dogs nearby can start howling at the noise. Then you have neighbors complaining that usually we'll behaved dogs are howling at night for no apparent reason.

Any dogs nearby can start howling at the noise. Then you have neighbors complaining that usually we'll behaved dogs are howling at night for no apparent reason.

I think you’re making that up now. It’s designed to do the exact opposite. The range will only work where it’s directed. It cant go around corners or through fences so there is slim chance of it affecting any other dog.
    To those posters going on about poisoning, it’s not the dogs fault that his owner is an asshole FFS. Doing something like that makes you worse than the owner imo. Grow a pair of balls and sue the fcukker. If he doesn’t care about you why should you give a sh1t about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Gaspode wrote: »
    Rotten12 wrote: »
    Get a nice piece meat add some poison, throw it over when it's dark. Or neighbor is out, horrible to do. But that's life. You tried,

Please dont advise people to break the law by killing a neighbours dog.
    At least not slowly

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    The dog could have mental issues or maybe a muzzle could be administered northside dogs are more problematic than southside dogs I believe its there surrounding environment and upbringing.

Post of the month!

Feckin hilarious!

Bassfish wrote: »
    Dogs barks end of story.

I have 2 teacup ones they bark at anything I don't care as there dogs !!!!.

It's like saying put someone down for talking load ...
    Every thread about incessant barking has someone come along saying 'dogs bark, get over it'. These must be the worst people to have as neighbours, no consideration for other people's right to live without being tormented by your pets!
    I agree, fcuking barking dogs are brain drainers,owners need to cop the fcuk on, mostly in social housing estates,no cop on, ignorant pet owners ,I've at least 2 around me who let them bark incessantly at times,daily ,be it any day,as a former dog owner (16 yrs) any time I wasn't at home ,he was inside the kitchen,walked up to 8 miles daily,dogs will bark ,and bark unless owners wake up, walk the animal,and if he's a barker,either keep him in,slap him on the nose,or get rid of him

Ginger83 wrote: »
    MrMac84 wrote: »
    Hi all

Our neighbors dog barks all the time. At cars, planes,cats,other dogs even passing birds! There back garden where they keep him in right on top of my back garden and my bedroom is at the back of the house. I’ve called around a few times to ask them to calm the dog or take him inside or something but a few hours later he’s back at it. Last Sunday morning at 7am I had to go knocking at the door as he’s was barking since 6. Talking to them doesn’t seem to work Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before and have advice?

We had a similar issue years ago, ended up getting a device that emitted a high pitch noise when the dog barked only the dog could hear.

Took about 3 weeks but the dog figured it out in the end.
    Link please

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Guys, no more suggestions of cruelty to animals please,
    or further sanctions will follow.

Gaspode wrote: »
    Guys, no more suggestions of cruelty to animals please,
    or further sanctions will follow.

Is it still ok to make suggestions of cruelty to the owner:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,490 ✭✭✭Markcheese

https://m.tomtop.com/p-h19284.html?currency=EUR&Warehouse=CN&aid=gplaiecd&mid=10000016502&utm_source=SEM&utm_medium=Google%20PLA&utm_campaign=TT_PLA_IE_CD&utm_content=3707&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu4Tkjpub2gIVLbHtCh2upgWOEAQYASABEgK9bvD_BwE

I have no idea if it works, I just Googled "sonic dog bark deterant
    Theres loads of devices out there,
    If anyone has successfully used one could they post the brand....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

From the city council website

Noise from barking dogs is dealt with under the Control of Dogs Act 1986. Any complaints should be directed to the Dog Warden on 021-4515534

If you ring them and explain the situation that you've spoken to the neighbours etc they'll advise you on what to do next.

somefeen wrote: »
    From the city council website

Noise from barking dogs is dealt with under the Control of Dogs Act 1986. Any complaints should be directed to the Dog Warden on 021-4515534

If you ring them and explain the situation that you've spoken to the neighbours etc they'll advise you on what to do next.

The dog warden has no legal remit to make the dog owner stop the dog barking. Trust me, I’ve been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I wonder does the owner have a license for the dog? Involving a warden in the hope of getting the neighbour fined for not having a license could be a useful first step in taking further formal action?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Dogs barks end of story.

I have 2 teacup ones they bark at anything I don't care as there dogs !!!!.

It's like saying put someone down for talking load ...
    Because "dogs bark" shouldn't be an excuse for you to be a jerk.
    The fact that you consider it an excuse, speaks more about you than anything else.

Dogs can be trained not to bark. We trained our lab not to bark at everything/anything, she only barks at people snooping around and magpies - she fricken hates magpies.

We trained her with a water pistol. When she barked inappropriately, she got a squirt in the face. Unfortunately OP I'd image that your neighbor couldn't care less about you, the dog, or anybody else, so they are unlikely to bother putting the time in to train the dog, but just in case - you could try mentioning it to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Markcheese wrote: »
    https://m.tomtop.com/p-h19284.html?currency=EUR&Warehouse=CN&aid=gplaiecd&mid=10000016502&utm_source=SEM&utm_medium=Google%20PLA&utm_campaign=TT_PLA_IE_CD&utm_content=3707&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu4Tkjpub2gIVLbHtCh2upgWOEAQYASABEgK9bvD_BwE

I have no idea if it works, I just Googled "sonic dog bark deterant
    Theres loads of devices out there,
    If anyone has successfully used one could they post the brand....

Tried one, it didn't work. :( Still it's about the only thing the OP can try remotely.
    citronella collars are somewhat effective, but the owner would need to use it. Owner training is the only effective way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Any dog barking was met by a demented, hairy 6 ft madman knocking on the door to tell the offending neighbour to keep their dogs quiet or trouble would ensue...
    Sometimes you have to behave like a crazy culchie to get a bit of peace and quiet.
    I was far more afraid of being late or tired in the "great place to work" in Leixlip.

People who know of the Corporate Values of a certain large chip-maker know what I mean.

I was far more deprived of sleep by badly adjusted intruder alarms left blaring at all times of the day or night, especially during bank holidays when there was high winds and sensitive alarms were set off.

I often had to work through bank holidays fighting tiredness and fatigue while the alarm owning retards were enjoying their bank holidays FAR AWAY.

The guards were useless and the county council did not want to know.

Luckily I took early retirement from the accursed slave drivers and sleep is no longer an issue. I pity people for whom it is still a critical issue, people with long hours and ****ty shifts and try to keep everything as quiet as possible for their sake. Other people don't.

And that's the problem.

I think you’re making that up now. It’s designed to do the exact opposite. The range will only work where it’s directed. It cant go around corners or through fences so there is slim chance of it affecting any other dog.
    To those posters going on about poisoning, it’s not the dogs fault that his owner is an asshole FFS. Doing something like that makes you worse than the owner imo. Grow a pair of balls and sue the fcukker. If he doesn’t care about you why should you give a sh1t about him.

I had two dogs, now have one and there's a dog in both houses next to me. The one i still have used to bark, a lot. He was well walked and stimulated but he just barked all day and night if he was outside. We looked at options and one was the sonar but we couldn't go that route as it would have driven the other three demented. We were nervous that our better behaved dog would realise the noise was coming when his mate barked and retaliate.
    We ended up with a petsafe static collar. He gets a small shock when he barks and it gives him a slightly bigger shock every time he barks again.
    It worked and 8 years later he still wears it. If the batteries are gone he goes back to his old ways, not as bad as he was but enough to be annoying. It was the best €100 we've spent on him. We ended up buying another one as the first one broke.
    The sonar might work but it's hardly fair on other neighbors dogs.

I had two dogs, now have one and there's a dog in both houses next to me. The one i still have used to bark, a lot. He was well walked and stimulated but he just barked all day and night if he was outside. We looked at options and one was the sonar but we couldn't go that route as it would have driven the other three demented. We were nervous that our better behaved dog would realise the noise was coming when his mate barked and retaliate.
    We ended up with a petsafe static collar. He gets a small shock when he barks and it gives him a slightly bigger shock every time he barks again.
    It worked and 8 years later he still wears it. If the batteries are gone he goes back to his old ways, not as bad as he was but enough to be annoying. It was the best €100 we've spent on him. We ended up buying another one as the first one broke.
    The sonar might work but it's hardly fair on other neighbors dogs.

I'm glad you got it sorted with the collar. They're good. My own neighbour got one after I complained nicely and we have very few issues now. I still think you don't fully understand how the sonar thing works though. Having said that I think they're a bit hit and miss myself and wouldn't be as effective as a collar.

• Advertisement

I'm glad you got it sorted with the collar. They're good. My own neighbour got one after I complained nicely and we have very few issues now. I still think you don't fully understand how the sonar thing works though. Having said that I think they're a bit hit and miss myself and wouldn't be as effective as a collar.

I can't comment on this particular type of collar but I use the petsafe perimeter control collars on two large Labs with great success. I would say though that I find the lab very easy to train. Some dogs may be more difficult than others.

Advertisement