Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strava help please !

Options
  • 31-03-2018 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

I was out around Loch Corrib today and really flying - as good as I've ever done around the lake. Just in and saved the activity; in my feed it shows only a section drawn in a straight line from Maam Cross to Galway with no segments found.
    Can anyone please advise if there is any way i can get the file/activity re-calculated/reloaded? I'm not a techie (old geezer) and i can't see anything on the Strava site that helps.
    Yours in desperation.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

It lost GPS between those 2 points. I don't think it's recoverable unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crippens1

Thanks; I guess that's a phone problem and not the app. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Youll have to go out and do it again :D
    After you buy a new Garmin .... and a new bike to go with the new garmin .

sullzz wrote: »
    Youll have to go out and do it again :D
    After you buy a new Garmin .... and a new bike to go with the new garmin .

And send up a Connemara-dedicated satellite.

Can't you manually plot the route and enter a time (on a pc), assuming you know the time and it's accurate. You can't use it on leaderboards and will be missing some data but won't be a total write off.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Yes, I could do that and have an overall time but I was really looking forward to some segments !
    Especially for the climbs out of Cornamona and Maam where I was really going well. :(:mad::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This is caused by two things:
    1) GPS Lost - with constellations of 55 sats available to most devices this only happens in tunnels/Manhattan
    2) App sleep

Make sure your phone doesnt have any power saver/Android Doze/App protection settings enabled for Strava. This can "freeze" the app which stops logging until you wake the phone again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

How old is the phone OP?
    Are you using the latest version of the Strava app?

Thanks.
    I'll check out your advice (power saver/Android Doze/App protection/latest version of the app). Hopefully one of those will help but I expect today's efforts are not recoverable.

The funny thing is that I started recording OK at the start in Galway and then went Galway-Headford-Cong-Maam-Galway and it is only Maam Cross to Galway at the end that shows but, as mentioned, it appears as a single straight line on the map with overall data only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

ED E wrote: »
    This is caused by two things:
    1) GPS Lost - with constellations of 55 sats available to most devices this only happens in tunnels/Manhattan
    2) App sleep

Make sure your phone doesnt have any power saver/Android Doze/App protection settings enabled for Strava. This can "freeze" the app which stops logging until you wake the phone again.

Not true. Thick tree cover will lose the GPS signal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭superdog

Crippens1 wrote: »
    Thanks. Yes, I could do that and have an overall time but I was really looking forward to some segments !
    Especially for the climbs out of Cornamona and Maam where I was really going well. :(:mad::confused:

Corrnamona/Maam lovely part of the country. Hope you enjoyed the cycle!

Rodin wrote: »

Trees and Connemara in the same sentence !:confused:

superdog wrote: »
    Corrnamona/Maam lovely part of the country. Hope you enjoyed the cycle!

Absolutely, the views onto the north end of the lake with the islands is just stunning. Just as good is to take a right in Cornamona and go around by Maamtrasna. Or just any road around there ...

Its a bit more nuanced than that. A 66ch receiver with an 80mm antenna will keep the minimum four sats even under heavy foliage assuming no storm conditions above that. A crappy device with a micro antenna might struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

ED E wrote: »
    Its a bit more nuanced than that. A 66ch receiver with an 80mm antenna will keep the minimum four sats even under heavy foliage assuming no storm conditions above that. A crappy device with a micro antenna might struggle.

I have a Garmin watch. No crappy device I assure you, but the GPS drops occasionally under thick tree cover.

I have a Garmin watch. No crappy device I assure you, but the GPS drops occasionally under thick tree cover.

With a very small antenna ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I have a Wahoo Bolt with a small antenna too and it gets a quick lock inside my office with 5-6m accuracy. Dense trees / foliage, usually 3-4m acc. Garmin 800 was a far cry...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

only issue i ever had on the phone app was a cycle where half of it was recorded as being about 20m east of where i rode - so it looked like i had gone cross country over fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭py

This is the very reason I moved away from using the mobile app and on to a dedicated device, which right now is a Garmin 500.
    Alek wrote: »
    I have a Wahoo Bolt with a small antenna too and it gets a quick lock inside my office with 5-6m accuracy. Dense trees / foliage, usually 3-4m acc. Garmin 800 was a far cry...

Can the bolt be charged whilst on the move?

Advertisement