Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shimano Quick link

Options
  • 31-03-2018 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

I installed a new chain, cassette and freehub yesterday but forgot to match the chain length to my last one, got through a spin ok today bút probably need to remove a few links, just wondering if I can reuse the quick link again, shimano website says to not reuse a quick link but I'm not entirely sure if it means a quick link from an old chain on a new one. Any thoughts? Ditch the pin and do it the old fashioned way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sashimi

Definitely OK to remove a few links and use the same quick link. I've used a KMC quick link across multiple chains including a Shimano one without issue so you're almost certainly fine given it's new.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you don't reuse joining pins, but as above, i've broken and rejoined quick links several times without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

sashimi wrote: »
    Definitely OK to remove a few links and use the same quick link. I've used a KMC quick link across multiple chains including a Shimano one without issue so you're almost certainly fine given it's new.
    I'm open to correction but a KMC quick link is different from a Shimano one as it can be removed without a special tool and is designed to be re-used several times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

I'm open to correction but a KMC quick link is different from a Shimano one as it can be removed without a special tool and is designed to be re-used several times.

I think if 11 speed, no brand's quick link is officially designed to be removed and reused. So might be something of relevance for the OP to confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

I know you asked about Shimano, but I open and reuse my KMC 11-speed link often enough without issues - even though it is marked as non-reusable. It's just easier to clean! I do have a pack of spare links but have never had to use one yet. My KMC 9-speed link is easy to open by hand - can't remember if it is non-reusable too. However with 11-speed I have to use the pliers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I use KMC quick links on 3 road bikes - all 10 speed. KMC say that the 10 speed quick link can be opened/closed 3 times but I've done it dozens of times without incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Ended up breaking it the old fashioned way, I just couldnt get the quick link open again, id similar issues with a powerlink before. Nothing more frustrating than watching someone do these things so so simply on YouTube... some people must have herculean strength in their thumbs...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I use quick links on all my chains - 9, 10 and 11 speed and have re-used them all several times. I bin them when I change the chain for a new one. I have a tool to open them, but you can use a needle nose plier to do the job

Advertisement