Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alienware Aurora

Options
  • 31-03-2018 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering what people think of the Alienware Aurora back build? Looking at the high end 1700 euro version.. thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

i7-8700, 16Gb DDR4, GTX 1070 for €1700? :rolleyes:

Even with the current market inflation on GPUs/RAM you can build cheaper than that!

Plus for gaming, drop the CPU to i5-8400/8600K, and put the money into more GPU horsepower (e.g. 1070 Ti / 1080).

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

As usual with Alienware, overpriced. You’ll be better building yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Thanks for advice. Could you share your thoughts on this? Comes in at 2050

Case SHARKOON VG4-W GAMING CASE (Green LED)
    Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor i7-8700k (3.7GHz) 12MB Cache
    Motherboard ASUS® ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs, WIFI - RGB Ready
    Memory (RAM) 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2133MHz (2 x 8GB)
    Graphics Card 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 - DVI, HDMI, 3x DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
    1st Hard Disk 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
    1st M.2 SSD Drive 256GB SAMSUNG PM961 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 2800MB/R, 1100MB/W)
    DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 16x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW & SOFTWARE
    Power Supply CORSAIR 450W VS SERIES™ VS-450 POWER SUPPLY
    Processor Cooling PCS FrostFlow 100 Series High Performance CPU Cooler
    Thermal Paste STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
    Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
    Wireless/Wired Networking 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
    USB Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
    Operating System Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Dump the board. Overpriced, I use msi and find them excellent now and they only cost from 100€ upwards and put the money towards a gtx 1080i and increase ssd to 52gb at least.
    Upgrade psu to 650w at least. Make sure it’s a modular one as tidier.
    Also unles you plan on overclocking drop the i7 down a notch.

Blazer wrote: »
    Dump the board. Overpriced, I use msi and find them excellent now and they only cost from 100€ upwards and put the money towards a gtx 1080i and increase ssd to 52gb at least.
    Upgrade psu to 650w at least. Make sure it’s a modular one as tidier.
    Also unles you plan on overclocking drop the i7 down a notch.

Hi Blazer,

Thanks. How about this for the motherboard: ASUS® TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
    And when you say drop the i7, do you mean to a i5 Six-Core processor? Will update the SSD, don't think I could afford the cost increase to a 1080i atm though.

• Advertisement

Hi Blazer,

Thanks. How about this for the motherboard: ASUS® TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
    And when you say drop the i7, do you mean to a i5 Six-Core processor? Will update the SSD, don't think I could afford the cost increase to a 1080i atm though.

Put links in as it makes it easier for us to review.
    Yeah a 6 core i5 is more than enough.
    Your board was nearly €300 and the cpu about €400.
    The price savings more than cover the 1080ti :)
    What monitor do you have first?

Blazer wrote: »
    Put links in as it makes it easier for us to review.
    Yeah a 6 core i5 is more than enough.
    Your board was nearly €300 and the cpu about €400.
    The price savings more than cover the 1080ti :)
    What monitor do you have first?

I'm building it off PC Speailist, I've never built before myself from scratch.. haven't included price of monitor... was hoping to hook up to TV for now and get a nice monitor in a couple of months, or is that a bad idea?

Sorry for triple posting, found a site called PC part pickers; is this reasonable:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/krbjpG

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Sorry for triple posting, found a site called PC part pickers; is this reasonable:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/krbjpG

Looks good to me, I cant imagine a £32 sound card will, be better than your motherboards onboard, so ID drop it. ID also get a set of homeplugs instead of the WiFi adapter

• Advertisement

Using a TV will be sound by the way, you might find the lag a little higher but its nothing crazy in most.cases, esp for single.player games

Yep drop the wifi and the add in sound card.
    Also I’d steer clear of the seagate hard drive and get the western digital version. Seagate have crap reliability.
    Christ the 1080ti are a ridiculous price. Stupid miners.

Als build yourself. It’s a great learning experience and not too hard.

Thanks DT & Blazer. Will replace the Seagate with Western, thanks for heads up. And yeah the prices at 1080ti are crazy; do you really think it's worth going from 1080 to 1080ti atm? Like considering how crazy prizes are due to the mining, is it not worth holding out, with 1080 still being a very good gpu?

Digital can I ask what you mean by homeplugs?

Thanks again, I don't think I would have the confidence to build all on my own; might get a friend to help me.

Thanks DT & Blazer. Will replace the Seagate with Western, thanks for heads up. And yeah the prices at 1080ti are crazy; do you really think it's worth going from 1080 to 1080ti atm? Like considering how crazy prizes are due to the mining, is it not worth holding out, with 1080 still being a very good gpu?

Digital can I ask what you mean by homeplugs?

Thanks again, I don't think I would have the confidence to build all on my own; might get a friend to help me.

Regarding the gpu decision it all depends what monitor u plan on getting and it’s resolution. 1080p and it’s overkill and a 1060 would suffice. 4K and the 1080ti will do.

Have a look on YouTube for a build video, its very simple to do.

they're also called powerline adapters, you plug one in beside the router and one beside your PC, run an Ethernet cable between plug-router and plug-PC and it basically gives you a wired connection the far side of the house.from the router

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Way over priced. If you have that cash available then you could build a serious custom rig.

Advertisement