Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jungfrau Marathon 2018

Options
  • 31-03-2018 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hey. Anyone do this before?

https://www.jungfrau-marathon.ch/en/

Im signed up for this year after no marathon running in 3 or 4 years.
    2000 meters of climbing, mostly in the last 15km.

How does one train for such a monster?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭plumber77

Worn Out wrote: »

One doesn't:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

You run as many big hills as possible in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭PippaChic

Good luck with that! We visited that region last Summer and hiked most of the trails, no matter where you look everything is stunningly beautiful!

Presume joining IMRA and checking out some trail races should be on the cards. Used to run Carrauntoohil twice, as in Cronin's Yard, summit, Glencar, summit, Cronin's Yard when training for the Skyrun in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I think Krusty Clown ran it some years back, so no doubt details can be found by searching the training log sub-forum.
    Lots of IMRA races on the calendar. Lots of distance and Vertical gain in training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I went up Jungfrau last year in a train and it was an ordeal lol.

Fair play to anybody that can run up it.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

Thanks all.
    I’m certainly looking at some IMRA events as well as other longer adventure races.
    An idea is also to go for a long run outside and then head to the gym and run with the treadmill on maximum elevation for another hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Thanks all.
    I’m certainly looking at some IMRA events as well as other longer adventure races.
    An idea is also to go for a long run outside and then head to the gym and run with the treadmill on maximum elevation for another hour or so.

Check out the kind of vertical training Gary Robbins did for the Barkleys marathon - up and down a rough trail in the dark for hours and hours and hours. A treadmill should only be your friend if the weather outside is appalling IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭PippaChic

Tzardine wrote: »
    I went up Jungfrau last year in a train and it was an ordeal lol.

Fair play to anybody that can run up it.

I was thinking the same Tzardine! When were you there - I went in July!

My running practice went out the window when I was there, but hiking and taking note of the surrounds was an amazing experience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

It's easy to train for. Plenty of suitable hills in Ireland.

This weekend's Maurice Mullins for example has similar amount of climb over 50km.

Just hit the hills and forget about treadmill inclines unless you've no other options.

Mourne Skyline has 2500 of climb in just 34km.

Plenty of options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I ran this in 2016.

I live in Basel, probably the flattest part of Switzerland :pac:

Its a great race, good support most of the way even in the smallest of towns dotted up the mountain.

It was my first marathon and I finished in the Top 10% if I remember correctly.

The run up to Wenger is tough but the last 4kms until the final km or so is the toughest in my opinion, you will be walking up a path only wide enough for one most of the way, to overtake takes a lot of energy and that is where my time fell a lot.
    The final kilometer once you reach the crest is beautiful, a nice downhill to the finish trying to stop your legs running away with themselves :)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

I ran this in 2016.

I live in Basel, probably the flattest part of Switzerland :pac:

Its a great race, good support most of the way even in the smallest of towns dotted up the mountain.

It was my first marathon and I finished in the Top 10% if I remember correctly.

The run up to Wenger is tough but the last 4kms until the final km or so is the toughest in my opinion, you will be walking up a path only wide enough for one most of the way, to overtake takes a lot of energy and that is where my time fell a lot.
    The final kilometer once you reach the crest is beautiful, a nice downhill to the finish trying to stop your legs running away with themselves :)

Thanks for this information.
    I can’t wait to do the run, I watched a you tube video of the whole course at the weekend and it looks mighty (high).
    I’ve been up it on a train before but not had to run it.

Would you have used a training plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Yeah the videos are nice of it on youtube.

I had no training plan for this one, just did a tempo run, yassos and then a long run with lots of hills at the end of a roughly half marathon route to simulate the Jungfrau marathon.

Advertisement