Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring a Hive Thermostat to a Old Firebird Boiler

Options
  • 31-03-2018 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm hoping someone can give me a few pointers here, i'm trying to install a Hive Thermostat to our old Firebird 50/90 (I know i should upgrade but the boiler still works fine). Anyways, i'm trying to figure out the permanent live/neutral, and heating on and off wiring points. Their is no external controls with the boiler, just the little internal timer. I have no Hot water circuit so it just CH on and off at the moment. I'll attach a photo of the wiring, if anyone has seen this kind of setup and can point me in the right direction i'd appreciate it.

The only other way i can think of finding the right points would be to check with a multimeter when it's running to see where power is when the timer turns on the boiler.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Johnnywaters

Hi

I'm not familiar with the hive stat.

It might be a matter of breaking the wired link in the drawing and wiring a base unit from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Quiksilver

Ok,
    So i took a few reading and got the following voltages (see attached).
    I think i would be right with the following wiring (also see second attached pic).
    Would i be incorrect with this wiring?

Well,
    i did and didn't succeed with my wiring setup. Hive seems to be working correctly, firing the burner when demand comes on. The only problem is the the permanent live and neutral i've used is the mains coming into the boiler not from the main power switch on the boiler, so the hive can fire up the burner while the main power switch on the front of the boiler is turned off. I have to hunt to find the 240V from the switch, which looks like it might be a pain to find as all the back where the switches and timer are are closed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Johnnywaters

Hi

I'm not familiar with hive but that's the dual channel receiver which you don't need.
    Its not obvious to me how that wires into your boiler correctly if it needs a permanent supply.

On the single channel receiver base there is a separate contact(1,3) which would wire into the boiler after the timer
    https://i.imgur.com/Ub7aV2tl.png

Maybe someone familiar with hive knows more.

I went with the dual channel receiver because when i eventually change the boiler i'll get a three way valve installed and will want a hot water circuit.
    I seem to have everything running ok now, i opened into the case and teed off the mains on off switch so now when i turn the boiler off it cuts power to the receiver also so it won't be able to turn on the burner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 FirstOnTheBike

@Quicksilver did you figure this out? I have the same boiler and want to do the same

Advertisement