Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get old mobile number back

Options
  • 31-03-2018 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

Hi my sister is returning to Ireland and would like to get her old mobile number back if possible. It was last registered to meteor.

As far as she knows it hasn't been re assigned as it doesn't ring.

Is this possible?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

How long's it been inactive? 

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Mat the trasher

Skedaddle wrote: »
    How long's it been inactive? 

About 4 years she reckons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

Basically what happens is the number will go inactive on their network and stop receiving incoming calls after 6 months. They keep it assigned for 13 months, during which you can still recoup it by activating the associated account i.e. top up / pay a bill.

The extra 7 months of quarantine without activity is considered long enough to be able to reassign it.

4 years is way outside the scope, but if the number's still in the unassigned pool, it might be possible to specifically request it.

Is it an 085 number? If not, Eir wouldn't be able to assign it at all as it would be returned to the original network.

If it's in a block of numbers assigned to Eir, they would be able to potentially activate a new account on the number, otherwise, you'd need to talk to the network that has that block.

Put the number in here to see who it's assigned to: https://www.comreg.ie/industry/licensing/numbering/number-assignments-availability/

NB: They can sometimes charge a 'golden number' fee for doing this and it's one of those things that's usually bill pay / business account focused.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Mat the trasher

Thanks for that, it's an 087 number so I might try ask Vodafone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭eir: Thomas

Hi my sister is returning to Ireland and would like to get her old mobile number back if possible. It was last registered to meteor.

As far as she knows it hasn't been re assigned as it doesn't ring.

Is this possible?

Thanks
    Hi Mat the trasher ,

Thanks for contacting us here.

She will need to contact us and provide her mobile number & pin via PM.

Once received, we can investigate this further.

Thanks

Thomas

• Advertisement
Advertisement