Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lady in uniform that travels with The President of Ireland

• 31-03-2018 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey,
    Not sure if this is the right section but wondering does anyone know the lady who travels and is usually present in Áras an Uachtaráin with President Higgins ??
    Wondering as my family were talking to her at a family day in Áras an Uachtaráin before, fairly certain it's Naval or could be Defence Forces uniform, I also googled Aide de Camp but nothing came up.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Garynevada

That's exactly who I thought it was at the start but no, the woman with Michael D. Higgins had blonde hair and I'd imagine she was around maybe 35... I have a pic but can't seem to find a way of posting it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Well, the President gets an Aide de Camp as well, currently Col Liam Condon. I presume that aide can also get leave, and occasionally has to have the position backfilled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Pretty sure she's a Garda detective or the likes, there for protection of the President, you might see a small Garda badge/lapel pin to one side of her blouse or suit jacket.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Well, the President gets an Aide de Camp as well, currently Col Liam Condon. I presume that aide can also get leave, and occasionally has to have the position backfilled.

If the person is wearing a Defence Forces uniform then it is almost certainly his Aide de Camp. The ADC always accompanies the President on official business and as you say there can be other personnel that step into the role when the designated ADC is unavailable.

The President always has a Garda security detail assigned to him but they would rarely be in uniform. They usually wear a suit with a Garda lapel badge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've seen her on a plane with him before. I think she's a Garda, security of some form.

It's the lady in this picture walking just behind him if anyone knows ??
    http://www.president.ie/en/media-library/photos/family-day-garden-party-at-aras-an-uachtarain-june-2017

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

OK, that's Lieutenant Commander Patricia Butler, Naval Service. I suspect she's the deputy aide to Col Condon, as she indicates she's had the AdC role since 2014, same as the Colonel.

The aguillete on her right shoulder indicates AdC for the President. If it's on the left shoulder, that makes it AdC to the Taoseach.

Thanks a million for your answer... very informative !!

Advertisement