Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Preview: Leinster v Saracens, Sunday April 1, 15:30, BT Sports 2

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 GammyHammy

So Leinster have just played probably their toughest game of the season to date, Lowe was outstanding and certainly better than our other winger, and this forum seems to have decided that as a result he should be dropped.

Ok.

I sincerely hope the coaches don't take a similar view.

Your right Lowe was our best winger last weekend and it would be a very tough call to leave him out if it comes to that, however I don’t think it’s as simple as a straight call between Ferg and Lowe. McGraths fitness comes into it and also the reliability of McCarthy as a backup. Then you weigh up Lowe’s attacking abilities against perceived defensive weakness against a Scarlets team that are sure to attack the wings. Not That simple a choice IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

salmocab wrote: »
    In fairness Id imagine most people want him to play, I certainly do hes a fantastic player and a real hard worker. Also quite dreamy.
    :)

Likewise. People are getting excited over nothing. There's a possibility that McGrath can't play and remote as that may be, the option comes down to Lowe v Fardy really. In that event, who plays on the wing instead comes into focus. Or whether we chance Ross Moloney as backup. Or Kearney. They're not brilliant choices tbh. But we knew this might come into contention when we set ourselves up with a three into two won't go situation.

GammyHammy wrote: »
    Your right Lowe was our best winger last weekend and it would be a very tough call to leave him out if it comes to that, however I don’t think it’s as simple as a straight call between Ferg and Lowe. McGraths fitness comes into it and also the reliability of McCarthy as a backup. Then you weigh up Lowe’s attacking abilities against perceived defensive weakness against a Scarlets team that are sure to attack the wings. Not That simple a choice IMO

I appreciate McGrath's availability will come into it but that's the only thing really that should impact whether he plays or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

salmocab wrote: »
    In fairness Id imagine most people want him to play, I certainly do hes a fantastic player and a real hard worker. Also quite dreamy.

Yeah, it's not a case of "wanting to drop" Lowe, it's just the whole 2 foreigners thing makes it so complex.

If McGrath had got his injury after 15 minutes of the Saracens game, then we might be having a very different conversation now.

I appreciate McGrath's availability will come into it but that's the only thing really that should impact whether he plays or not.

I'm struggling to think of enough people who've said otherwise to justify:
    and this forum seems to have decided that as a result he should be dropped.

Ok.

I sincerely hope the coaches don't take a similar view.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 GammyHammy

Who wouldn’t want to watch Lowe ripping it up? He is electric and his defense seems to be continually improving. Extremely frustrating that the 3 can’t be picked and you’d wonder how much thought went into the selection dilemmas that it would throw up. Obviously it’s better to have these talented players on the books and JGP will be Irish qualified next year but I’d imagine these lads are well paid and when all are fit only 2 can play

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

GammyHammy wrote: »
    Who wouldn’t want to watch Lowe ripping it up? He is electric and his defense seems to be continually improving. Extremely frustrating that the 3 can’t be picked and you’d wonder how much thought went into the selection dilemmas that it would throw up. Obviously it’s better to have these talented players on the books and JGP will be Irish qualified next year but I’d imagine these lads are well paid and when all are fit only 2 can play

Year after next and I don't think being Irish qualified will help him, the same restrictions will still apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Year after next and I don't think being Irish qualified will help him, the same restrictions will still apply.

Next year, right? He arrived in 2016 so it'll be 2019? Am I going insaner?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Fardy will likely be gone after next season anyway... replacing him will be a mammoth task.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

correct august 2019

• Advertisement

Ah yes. Was thinking in terms of seasons rather then calendar years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Surely one of you lads have a sister or daughter or girlfriend you can offer up to Lowe or JGP to marry so they can get citizenship. :D

I'm actually surprised that Fardy is caught up in the Kolpak issue because didn't he just have a kid born in Ireland? I thought that would have changed his visa status as they would be a citizen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭scott1974

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Surely one of you lads have a sister or daughter or girlfriend you can offer up to Lowe or JGP to marry so they can get citizenship. :D

I'm actually surprised that Fardy is caught up in the Kolpak issue because didn't he just have a kid born in Ireland? I thought that would have changed his visa status as they would be a citizen?

I always wondered about that one too, I think his kid needs an Irish passport first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Yeah_Right wrote: »

Children born here to Johnny Foreigners are not automatically citizens, and since Fardy was only in the country a few months, he's definitely not eligible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Children born here to Johnny Foreigners are not automatically citizens, and since Fardy was only in the country a few months, he's definitely not eligible.
    In most instances they are: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/irish_citizenship/irish_citizenship_through_birth_or_descent.html

Fardy would be, given he was born before Jan 1, 2005.

Billy86 wrote: »
    In most instances they are: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/irish_citizenship/irish_citizenship_through_birth_or_descent.html

Fardy would be, given he was born before Jan 1, 2005.

Except he wasn't born in Ireland :confused:

Fardy's child wouldn't be entitled to Irish citizenship so far as I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Apologies, completely misread Yeah_Right's initial post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

So why on earth suggest McFadden starting with Lowe on the bench??

Because they play two different positions. The question was if Henshaw came back who do you drop, Isa or Lowe. Otherwise you’re talking playing someone out of position. Isa is more important to the team right now for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Right now, worst case scenario is that we go into the match without McGrath, Larmour, SOB, Conan, Henshaw, Lowe, Ruddock and the long term absentees such as VDF.

Not inconceivable that we start with the same pack as the Saracens game but a back line of JGP, Sexton, Daly, Nacewa, Ringrose, McFadden and Kearney.

It would be tight on the bench with Molony and Deegan likely to feature along with McCarthy and ROL.

The impact of McGrath being out is huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Actually all this talk of who’s available etc is best suited for the Team Talk thread. This thread has run its course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement