Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Preview: Leinster v Saracens, Sunday April 1, 15:30, BT Sports 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Must have gone to coppers that night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Kruis's hit on Sexton was a bit sneaky at 18:58 on the game clock

https://youtu.be/voetJd6qxWo?t=25m39s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

clsmooth wrote: »
    Kruis's hit on Sexton was a bit sneaky at 18:58 on the game clock

https://youtu.be/voetJd6qxWo?t=25m39s

Mako with a little dunt in the phase immediately before it too.

I dunno, if I'm Leinster/Ireland I'm figuring out ways to exploit that. Forwards taking even a couple of unneeded strides out of their defensive line to have a little clip at the 10 has to be leaving an opportunity somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Neil3030 wrote: »

I dunno, if I'm Leinster/Ireland I'm figuring out ways to exploit that. Forwards taking even a couple of unneeded strides out of their defensive line to have a little clip at the 10 has to be leaving an opportunity somewhere.
    That's exactly it. I seem to remember (could have been Woody or Franno) talking about a match in France where somebody got hit by a cheap shot or that old favourite the eye gouge and the Irish team getting riled up and taking every opportunity to take retribution. They got that in spades but forgot that there was a game to win...

prawnsambo wrote: »
    That's exactly it. I seem to remember (could have been Woody or Franno) talking about a match in France where somebody got hit by a cheap shot or that old favourite the eye gouge and the Irish team getting riled up and taking every opportunity to take retribution. They got that in spades but forgot that there was a game to win...

Ireland in paris. There was no game to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Dubinusa wrote: »
    My point is that Sexton should not be a pin cushion for opposing players, nothing more. It's been happening for several years now and the refs just don't protect him. I believe it's valid and Rory Best discussed this with a ref during last years 6nations. I don't know what the answer is, but surely the mans safety should be a priority.
    All I am saying is that in my opinion a late hit on Farrell may stop Sarries or other opponents taking liberties. I don't know if it would or not but it's just an opinion.
    I don't mind if you all disagree.
    It wouldn't have that affect though. You'd just get a free for all starting and pretty soon the yellow cards would appear and that usually ends up with a couple of binnings and a trigger happy ref.
    And worse still, the focus would be off the game and onto making cheap shots. That's when you lose games.
    Think of the longer term, Farrell receives brain damage now, referees take high shots more seriously for the next few years and sexton never recieves another concussion, Ireland have a great world cup.
    Effectively what referee's allow is part of the game and you'd be a fool not to optimize (the most damaging hits)/penaltiesand YC's. The moral responsibility is on the referee.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Ireland in paris. There was no game to win.
    Well not to be spanked in then. They got spanked. :)

Think of the longer term, Farrell receives brain damage now, referees take high shots more seriously for the next few years and sexton never recieves another concussion, Ireland have a great world cup.
    Effectively what referee's allow is part of the game and you'd be a fool not to optimize (the most damaging hits)/penaltiesand YC's. The moral responsibility is on the referee.
    Seriously? You're advocating giving a player brain damage to get the refs attention?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I'd be hiring a make up artist to get all the lads looking as similar as possible to Sexton before the game. Shooters galore. Opposition's discipline would be out the window. As if you were up against 15 Joe Marlers if you will.

I'd be hiring a make up artist to get all the lads looking as similar as possible to Sexton before the game. Shooters galore. Opposition's discipline would be out the window. As if you were up against 15 Joe Marlers if you will.
    I think Garry Ringrose would be the new target based on his playmaking roles for Ireland and Leinster. Not massively yet, but he's set up a couple of tries while the opposition have been focusing on Sexton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Seriously? You're advocating giving a player brain damage to get the refs attention?
    I'm advocating playing to the referee's interpretation of the laws, I've been thinking this since the second all blacks test

Easily done with James Ryan anyway, just stick him in the tumble dryer for about 90 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Faugheen wrote: »
    The jump

ri992x.png

The connection with the face

15fuc9.png

You going to tell me both of them are untrue?

Add to this it was late, no arms, the use if the shoulder and he clearly targeted him.

Don't tell me I'm lying without any proof to back up your point.

What would it take for a red card? For it to be a little bit higher?

If you're going to target someone late, above the shoulders, leaping up into the air to make sure you did catch them and catch them with your own shoulder, you could have no complaints if you saw red.
    You're completely wrong. That isnt a red card. Wasnt so late that it will be called. No arms and use of shoulder means penalty but it doesnt mean its a red card.
    .ak wrote: »
    IBF nobody is saying it’s illegal to jump into the air to make a tackle, the point is he’s clearing jumping to aim his shoulder up to Sexton’s head. That’s reckless and is covered under the laws.

To give an equivilant if you put your arm out to tackle someone but intentionally raise it to clothes line someone, there’s no law against raising your arm but you can bet a red would be considered in that scenario.

Whether he jumped or not may be irrelevant in terms of the laws, however it’s definitive proof that he intentionally headhunted and if he made contact with Sexton’s head he’d be getting a red there.

Did he make contact with the head? Tbh I’m not sure, the stills above make it look like he did. I’d have liked to see Garces go to TMO tho because frankly that was the exact situation you need to do it in to stamp out dirty gameplay.
    The TMO would have contacted Garces on the ref mic if he felt the incident required another look on the video. That he didnt meant another look wasnt needed.
    So I can clobber someone in the head with my shoulder as long as I jump? Right so.

Another angle

CbPiieh.jpg

He's definitely in red card territory.
    Its not at all in red card territory and your analogy is completely wrong.
    For the record, I wasn't suggesting that Leinster fight fire with fire. Anything that opens Leinster or any Irish team up to poor discipline is never a good idea.

I was just pointing out that the captains talking to the ref never seems to work either. They're very quickly dismissed.

I feel like not enough is done by the province to keep the issue in the spotlight. It's potentially a very serious one.
    The comments of captains are not dismissed very quickly. It brings refs teams attention to something they otherwise mightnt look at. There is nothing to be gained by province keeping this in the spotlight. You are going OTT on this. This isnt a major or even minor injustice.
    Podge_irl wrote: »
    I really, really don't see why you think Leinster engaging in the same behaviour would stop opposition doing it. If anything it is more likely to just encourage even more of it. Both Leinster and Munster have a stand out player that they rely on - there is very little that can be done to change that particular scenario.
    Exactly. Leinster or any province acting similarly would just see players getting punished needlessly for no gain.
    My point is that Sexton should not be a pin cushion for opposing players, nothing more. It's been happening for several years now and the refs just don't protect him. I believe it's valid and Rory Best discussed this with a ref during last years 6nations. I don't know what the answer is, but surely the mans safety should be a priority.
    All I am saying is that in my opinion a late hit on Farrell may stop Sarries or other opponents taking liberties. I don't know if it would or not but it's just an opinion.
    Sexton is protected enough. He plays very abrasively. What more do you want refs to do to protect him exactly?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

The jump

ri992x.png

The connection with the face

15fuc9.png

You going to tell me both of them are untrue?

Add to this it was late, no arms, the use if the shoulder and he clearly targeted him.

Don't tell me I'm lying without any proof to back up your point.

What would it take for a red card? For it to be a little bit higher?

If you're going to target someone late, above the shoulders, leaping up into the air to make sure you did catch them and catch them with your own shoulder, you could have no complaints if you saw red.
    You're completely wrong. That isnt a red card. Wasnt so late that it will be called. No arms and use of shoulder means penalty but it doesnt mean its a red card.
    IBF nobody is saying it’s illegal to jump into the air to make a tackle, the point is he’s clearing jumping to aim his shoulder up to Sexton’s head. That’s reckless and is covered under the laws.

To give an equivilant if you put your arm out to tackle someone but intentionally raise it to clothes line someone, there’s no law against raising your arm but you can bet a red would be considered in that scenario.

Whether he jumped or not may be irrelevant in terms of the laws, however it’s definitive proof that he intentionally headhunted and if he made contact with Sexton’s head he’d be getting a red there.

Did he make contact with the head? Tbh I’m not sure, the stills above make it look like he did. I’d have liked to see Garces go to TMO tho because frankly that was the exact situation you need to do it in to stamp out dirty gameplay.
    The TMO would have contacted Garces on the ref mic if he felt the incident required another look on the video. That he didnt meant another look wasnt needed.
    So I can clobber someone in the head with my shoulder as long as I jump? Right so.

Another angle

CbPiieh.jpg

He's definitely in red card territory.
    Its not at all in red card territory and your analogy is completely wrong.
    For the record, I wasn't suggesting that Leinster fight fire with fire. Anything that opens Leinster or any Irish team up to poor discipline is never a good idea.

I was just pointing out that the captains talking to the ref never seems to work either. They're very quickly dismissed.

I feel like not enough is done by the province to keep the issue in the spotlight. It's potentially a very serious one.
    The comments of captains are not dismissed very quickly. It brings refs teams attention to something they otherwise mightnt look at. There is nothing to be gained by province keeping this in the spotlight. You are going OTT on this. This isnt a major or even minor injustice.
    Podge_irl wrote: »
    I really, really don't see why you think Leinster engaging in the same behaviour would stop opposition doing it. If anything it is more likely to just encourage even more of it. Both Leinster and Munster have a stand out player that they rely on - there is very little that can be done to change that particular scenario.
    Exactly. Leinster or any province acting similarly would just see players getting punished needlessly for no gain.
    Sexton is protected enough. He plays very abrasively. What more do you want refs to do to protect him exactly?

So intentionally jumping so you can shoulder charge someone's head isn't red card territory?

I hope you're never in charge of player welfare in rugby union.

Also, if referees are paying attention then why does Sexton continue to get hit with late tackles in nearly every game he plays?

You seem very angry at the idea that people might want some protection for the best player of their province and country. Calm down a little.

So intentionally jumping so you can shoulder charge someone's head isn't red card territory?

Also, if referees are paying attention then why does Sexton continue to get hit with late tackles in nearly every game he plays?

You seem very angry at the idea that people might want some protection for the best player of their province and country. Calm down a little.
    Afaik, he's a ref.

Could be wrong, but if so, I'm sure he'll be along shortly to correct me. :)

Even if I'm right. :D

Can you prove intent?
    You know nothing about me. There is late tackles and late tackles. There is tackles that are late/on the line and you could penalise them but if you did penalise all of them then you'd barely have a player left at the end.
    If this was as clear a red card as you are making it out to be then why did between the ref/his ARs/TMO did nothing about it in game then?

Sexton gets hit late/on the line each game as he's a bloody fly half who plays on the gain line, he also is a big guy and key/main player for all sides he plays for. That he gets extra attention from the opposition is natural and overwhelming majority of it is completely legal as this was.
    It wasnt cited as it wasnt a red card offence
    Afaik, he's a ref.

Could be wrong, but if so, I'm sure he'll be along shortly to correct me. :)

Even if I'm right. :D
    Im am a ref

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

That he gets extra attention from the opposition is natural and overwhelming majority of it is completely legal as this was.

Im am a ref

It wasn't legal though?

Do you not think the fact it's late, high, no attempt to wrap and he led with a shoulder would warrant another look by the ref/ARs?

• Advertisement

Murray Kinsella has done his usual forensic analysis of Leinster's tries. The bits I enjoy are the little details. Like James Lowe losing his boot to Liam Williams and still tearing on up the touchline, long after the ball has changed hands. Isa Nacewa having given the pass to Riingrose gives Goode an almighty shove out of the way. In the build up to James Lowe's try, he's on James Ryan's heels and pulls Liam Williams down into the ensuing ruck, leaving the short side virtually uncovered. Williams had shown a passing interest in attending the breakdown, Lowe made sure he was committed. :D

James Lowe's try

Credit also must go to Itoje for dragging Lowe over the line.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Credit also must go to Itoje for dragging Lowe over the line.
    :D

Is that a hint from him? #ItojeToLeinster

#BehindTonerFardyRyan :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

You're completely wrong.

Why do you think the poster is wrong exactly?

Do you think it's not a red because the shoulder doesn't make contact with Sexton's head? Or because the officials/citing commissioner didn't pick it up?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Can you prove intent?
    You know nothing about me. There is late tackles and late tackles. There is tackles that are late/on the line and you could penalise them but if you did penalise all of them then you'd barely have a player left at the end.
    If this was as clear a red card as you are making it out to be then why did between the ref/his ARs/TMO did nothing about it in game then?

Sexton gets hit late/on the line each game as he's a bloody fly half who plays on the gain line, he also is a big guy and key/main player for all sides he plays for. That he gets extra attention from the opposition is natural and overwhelming majority of it is completely legal as this was.

Im am a ref

Why is he jumping shoulder first at a players head?

He has lined up a hit on Sexton, that much is very clear. He then jumped into the hair so his shoulder would hit him high, and it hit him in the face.

What's your opinion on a player running straight for another who hasn't got the ball, jumped, shoulder first, no arms tackle to the head? The stills show it very, very clearly yet you seem intent to tell me I'm 'completely wrong'.

Don't tell me I'm completely wrong, explain it to me. Explain that it isn't late. Explain that he hasn't actually jumped off the ground. Explain that there's actually use of the arms. Explain that he isn't going in shoulder first and explain that his shoulder hasn't connected with his head and hasn't only done so because he jumped.

That's what 'completely wrong' is, isn't it? That I have got all of the facts in relation to this incident wrong?

If you can do all of that I might say 'kudos'. For some reason though, I don't think you will be able to explain all of that.

Out of interest, how many games has Scott Fardy played for Leinster since joining. Wiki has him listed at 7 appearances, but it feels like it's probably around double that, if not more?

• Advertisement

Why do you think the poster is wrong exactly?

Do you think it's not a red because the shoulder doesn't make contact with Sexton's head? Or because the officials/citing commissioner didn't pick it up?
    Its clumsily high but not to the extent that the incident is a red card. I dont think its a red because there is no connection with the head and that the commissioner/officials didnt call it backs that up.
    Why is he jumping shoulder first at a players head?

He has lined up a hit on Sexton, that much is very clear. He then jumped into the hair so his shoulder would hit him high, and it hit him in the face.

What's your opinion on a player running straight for another who hasn't got the ball, jumped, shoulder first, no arms tackle to the head? The stills show it very, very clearly yet you seem intent to tell me I'm 'completely wrong'.

Don't tell me I'm completely wrong, explain it to me. Explain that it isn't late. Explain that he hasn't actually jumped off the ground. Explain that there's actually use of the arms. Explain that he isn't going in shoulder first and explain that his shoulder hasn't connected with his head and hasn't only done so because he jumped.

That's what 'completely wrong' is, isn't it? That I have got all of the facts in relation to this incident wrong?

If you can do all of that I might say 'kudos'. For some reason though, I don't think you will be able to explain all of that.
    The ball was in the air was it not? You always see people contesting the ball in the air like that.
    If you can show me a video of the clip i can explain it better because pictures dont show enough to make anywhere near a proper decision. Its late and no arms but that isnt a red. Its a yellow at best. A citing is for a red card offence. Nothing there is a red card in my view.

Out of interest, how many games has Scott Fardy played for Leinster since joining. Wiki has him listed at 7 appearances, but it feels like it's probably around double that, if not more?
    check leinster website? Think he has maybe 14 or15?

check leinster website? Think he has maybe 14 or15?

I looked it up on Flashscore.

13/18 in the Pro14
    5/7 in the Heino

18 in total.

I assume he'll play somewhere between 3 and 6 more matches, depending on how Leinster do in these competitions.

So 21 to 24 games in total across the season, with international windows off.

That's actually not too bad for the money I'm sure he's getting.

Its clumsily high but not to the extent that the incident is a red card. I dont think its a red because there is no connection with the head and that the commissioner/officials didnt call it backs that up.

Wouldn't be the first time the commissioners/officials missed a red card incident though, would it? Or missed some footage at the time of the incident?

Also - it'd help the debate if you explained that in the first place. Simply telling other posters 'you're wrong' isn't conductive to a constructive debate. People can have different opinions than yourself, doesn't mean they are wrong.

I can't help but see a shoulder making contact with the head in those screenshots, but maybe I'm wrong. Would much rather a slow mo to confirm it.

The ball was in the air was it not
    ? You always see people contesting the ball in the air like that.
    If you can show me a video of the clip i can explain it better because pictures dont show enough to make anywhere near a proper decision. Its late and no arms but that isnt a red. Its a yellow at best. A citing is for a red card offence. Nothing there is a red card in my view.
    Nope. The ball was in Devin Toner's hands after Sexton had passed it to him. That's how late it was.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't be the first time the commissioners/officials missed a red card incident though, would it? Or missed some footage at the time of the incident?

Also - it'd help the debate if you explained that in the first place. Simply telling other posters 'you're wrong' isn't conductive to a constructive debate. People can have different opinions than yourself, doesn't mean they are wrong.

I can't help but see a shoulder making contact with the head in those screenshots, but maybe I'm wrong. Would much rather a slow mo to confirm it.
    I did explain it in the end hadnt had time earlier... I know people can have different opinions.
    I dont think looking at a slo mo is the correct way to look at law incidents. It has to be in real time. Slow motion clips normally make incidents look far worse than they are.
    And you cant look at one off pics either. They again make incidents look far worse than in real time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I must not be clearly coming across and I apologize for that.
    My main point is if opposition are constantly targeting Murray/Sexton with late hits etc. The refs are not policing this with yellow cards, why not take a late pop at Farrell or who ever. If it's not being penalized it is fair game imo.
    Not trying to be a knob, I don't get the lack of spine from Sexton's teammates.
    Not saying go Willie Duggan or Trevor Brennan on opposing sides, just why do they tolerate it, if it's not ref'd or we're not getting advantage i.e yc.

I did explain it in the end hadnt had time earlier... I know people can have different opinions.
    I dont think looking at a slo mo is the correct way to look at law incidents. It has to be in real time. Slow motion clips normally make incidents look far worse than they are.
    And you cant look at one off pics either. They again make incidents look far worse than in real time

Would you agree if he made contact with the head with the shoulder in this situation it would be a red though, yes?

My main point is if opposition are constantly targeting Murray/Sexton with late hits etc. The refs are not policing this with yellow cards, why not take a late pop at Farrell or who ever. If it's not being penalized it is fair game imo.
    Not saying go Willie Duggan or Trevor Brennan on opposing sides, just why do they tolerate it, if it's not ref'd or we're not getting advantage i.e yc.

Because you then risk getting your own players carded. Far better response would be to exploit the space created by a defender going after a player without the ball.

I would hope players would have better discipline then that.
    If it was clear and obvious players were being targeted then officials will look at it but it generally isnt the case. Its totally wrong attitude to have that something like that isnt being penalised so we should then target their players as you run risk of getting players carded yourself then

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

It was still a penalty given, if it was the other way around and McGrath hit Farrell and gave away a silly penalty I'd be less than impressed, even if it's only one in 4 that are acted on by the ref it could be the loosing of a game.

Leinster do a lot of bending the rules and playing the ref. The Murray kinsella article mentioned earlier shows a few good examples like Jordi taking wray beyond the ruck and out of the defensive line. There needs to be a reward better than the risk involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Nope. The ball was in Devin Toner's hands after Sexton had passed it to him. That's how late it was.

Incorrect. He hit him while the ball was in the air, and Toner was directly beside Sexton.

But sure if it's such an obvious red card as we've all been told it is then Wigglesworth will be punished.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Discipline is not a lack of spine.

In fact, I'm not sure how cheap, late hits connote the having of a spine to be honest.

Incorrect. He hit him while the ball was in the air, and Toner was directly beside Sexton.

But sure if it's such an obvious red card as we've all been told it is then Wigglesworth will be punished.
    Well technically you're correct. I don't think his hands had quite closed around the ball at the moment of impact. :)

But it certainly wasn't a competition for a ball in the air as TLS posited. Which is what I was replying to. And I never said it was a red, so there's no point telling me it wasn't. :p

ri992x.png

Well technically you're correct. I don't think his hands had quite closed around the ball at the moment of impact. :)

The ball was clearly in mid air when they made contact. Wasn't even touching Toner's hands. The picture you posted is not the point of contact.

People need to stop relying on still images, it's crazy. Between this sort of thing and also images from the side where their two shoulders collided that make it look like he hit him in the face. The clip is far more enlightening and explains entirely (for those willing to see it) why its been treated the way it has been.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The biggest reason this wasn't considered serious enough for a card on the day, and why it won't be cited...... Is because Wigglesworth just bounced off sexton.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    The biggest reason this wasn't considered serious enough for a card on the day, and why it won't be cited...... Is because Wigglesworth just bounced off sexton.

This is part of it.

Although to be fair to him part of the reason he did is because he was pulling out of the tackle as the ball was passed, and in bouncing off him he looked like he was turning back to try and make another tackle, rather than him just being bounced. His eyes were following the ball straight away.

The ball was clearly in mid air when they made contact. Wasn't even touching Toner's hands. The picture you posted is not the point of contact.

People need to stop relying on still images, it's crazy. Between this sort of thing and also images from the side where their two shoulders collided that make it look like he hit him in the face. The clip is far more enlightening and explains entirely (for those willing to see it) why its been treated the way it has been.
    I'm, not relying on anything. You're snippage implies I'm arguing for some kind of sanction. I'm doing no such thing. Please quote where I said otherwise.

And don't snip my posts to argue against a point I'm not making. You'd be the first to scream bloody blue murder when somebody did the same to you.

And if the only point of contention is that the ball was on the way to Toner and not in his hands, grand. It wasn't what my original post was about.

I'm, not relying on anything. You're snippage implies I'm arguing for some kind of sanction. I'm doing no such thing. Please quote where I said otherwise.

And don't snip my posts to argue against a point I'm not making. You'd be the first to scream bloody blue murder when somebody did the same to you.

And if the only point of contention is that the ball was on the way to Toner and not in his hands, grand. It wasn't what my original post was about.

TLS's point is that the tackle was not late enough to be considered a penalisable offense on its own. That is certainly true. If Wigglesworth had wrapped it would likely not have been a penalty at all. That was his point, your point about the ball being in Toner's hands is incorrect, your point about it not being a contest in the air misses the point.

For what it's worth, Toner was barely even in the camera shot from that angle at the moment they made contact.

rYKC4NN.png

TLS's point is that the tackle was not late enough to be considered a penalisable offense on its own. That is certainly true. If Wigglesworth had wrapped it would likely not have been a penalty at all. That was his point, your point about the ball being in Toner's hands is incorrect, your point about it not being a contest in the air misses the point.

For what it's worth, Toner was barely even in the camera shot from that angle at the moment they made contact.
    It doesn't miss the point. It was the point that I was correcting. I made no other comment on what he'd said. Other than I thought it was late. Which was an aside.

Edit: And that still of yours is before contact. Quite clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

So Sexton should have gone down and play acted for a while, to make sure he gets proper protection from refs.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

stephen_n wrote: »
    So Sexton should have gone down and play acted for a while, to make sure he gets proper protection from refs.

In case you missed it on the day, Wigglesworths was penalised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Thud

what's the legality of Sexton sticking his elbow up at head height to protect himself in cases like this? Would he get penalized? Think it would stop late hits pretty quickly.

Thud wrote: »
    what's the legality of Sexton sticking his elbow up at head height to protect himself in cases like this? Would he get penalized? Think it would stop late hits pretty quickly.

He’d get a red card.

• Advertisement

In case you missed it on the day, Wigglesworths was penalised.

And should have been a yellow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement