Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flower ID please

Options
  • 01-04-2018 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭

Last winter these flowers made it all the way through.

Not this year.

Anyone know what it is? Multi stemmed about 2.5m high.

Getting a bit leggy anyway. Can I prune it now?

28 Sept
    tumblr_p6i4giM5VM1xnffkqo1_400.jpg

Today
    tumblr_p6i4iqDJP51xnffkqo1_400.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭TAZ32

Its an Abutilon, which orange variety could be of many. Plenty of cultivars there. Leave it another month or so, should recover fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Thanks, so maybe Abutilon x hybridum Orange King.

When should I prune it?

RHS says "Late flowering evergreen shrubs (Pruning group 9)

Timing: Prune mid- to late spring".

Presumably that's mid-May this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Hack it back as much as you like almost anytime you like. Also cuttings root very very easily.

Down sides are not hardy and in a greenhouse, home or polly tunnel are magnets for greenfly, white fly, scale insect and red spider mite.

I'd tidy up the tips now and wait for new growth to show; when the season warms up a bit then do a final cut back to where you can see it developing new shoots.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Brilliant.

I've done a basic run over as I would a fruit tree, i.e. removing rubbing branches and dead wood, but less aggressively as there won't be fruit to carry.

Will see how it looks in May.

Advertisement