Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

are engines available on some brands limited

• 01-04-2018 1:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

in this country compared to other brands.

it's seems like the focus has two engines overall in terms of power....a 120 & 150bph but the 150bph is a 2l diesel

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭easygoing39

focus also has a 250bhp engine and a 350bhp engine available on the Irish market,both petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They bring in what sells the most here.

BTW there is also a 180bhp diesel Focus in the ST version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

yep, but seriously the basic engine, or nothing but a diesel or sports edition.

i want to get the 1.5l turbo petrol model you can get in the uk

• Advertisement

Go to the Uk for one or look at a Honda Civic?

i'm not a fan of hondas - any other brands?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Seat/VW/Audi have 1.4/1.5 150bhp petrol engines.

Peugeot and Renault have 130bhp 1.2s.

Alfa have 140/170bhp 1.4s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

euser1984 wrote: »
    i want to get the 1.5l turbo petrol model you can get in the uk

You can buy VAT free from the UK and register it here if going new, you just need to pay the Irish VAT and VRT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

I bought a 1.5 ecoboost 182hp, focus, from a dealer in Dublin as a special order, it was on their website a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

And answering OP's original title question it actually is true.

I haven't seen any Peugeot 508 petrol models.

Del2005 wrote: »
    You can buy VAT free from the UK and register it here if going new, you just need to pay the Irish VAT and VRT.

would a dealer do that for me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I was looking at a petrol Focus recently and you're limited to the 1.0 3 cylinder or the ST/RS. I think in the UK they were offering 4 petrol engines from 100BHP up to 180, and then the ST/RS.

They're nice looking cars and I drove a MK2 for 10 years with little enough trouble so would have been happy to get one, but not with the one petrol engine they were offering here. Both the ST and RS look ridiculous so they didn't interest me. I was looking at importing one but ended up just picking up something else here.

would a dealer do that for me?

Contact Ford Ireland, regarding a special order.

so is the 1.0 petrol the only available engine on the focus hatchback other than diesel; or sports

I was looking at a petrol Focus recently and you're limited to the 1.0 3 cylinder or the ST/RS. I think in the UK they were offering 4 petrol engines from 100BHP up to 180, and then the ST/RS.

They're nice looking cars and I drove a MK2 for 10 years with little enough trouble so would have been happy to get one, but not with the one petrol engine they were offering here. Both the ST and RS look ridiculous so they didn't interest me. I was looking at importing one but ended up just picking up something else here.

what did you end up picking in the end?

I just said fúck the budget and went for a Golf GTI. If there had been an abundance of 180bhp MK3.5 Focus' around I'm sure I'd have picked one up as they look like much better value. But after the facelift they actually changed that engine from a 1.6 to 1.5 (something to do with restrictions in the Asian market), and then only offered that engine on the fairly ridiculous looking black edition. Which is a shame as I really did like the look of the ST line facelift, the interior is much improved over the original MK3 too.

Ford just seem to make some odd decisions on what engines they'll pair with what trim levels, and then don't seem to bother with petrol in Ireland at all. I had enquired about getting the 150BHP version from one of the Ford dealers in Belfast, they had a 2015 for sale. But they never bothered getting back to me, the second Ford garage in the UK to do that, so I just gave up on them at that point.

I just said fúck the budget and went for a Golf GTI. If there had been an abundance of 180bhp MK3.5 Focus' around I'm sure I'd have picked one up as they look like much better value. But after the facelift they actually changed that engine from a 1.6 to 1.5 (something to do with restrictions in the Asian market), and then only offered that engine on the fairly ridiculous looking black edition. Which is a shame as I really did like the look of the ST line facelift, the interior is much improved over the original MK3 too.

Ford just seem to make some odd decisions on what engines they'll pair with what trim levels, and then don't seem to bother with petrol in Ireland at all. I had enquired about getting the 150BHP version from one of the Ford dealers in Belfast, they had a 2015 for sale. But they never bothered getting back to me, the second Ford garage in the UK to do that, so I just gave up on them at that point.

**** the budget lol

i wanted to get an a3 sline without the mental engine and hard suspension, would have taken maybe 3 months to get it in it seems...something thats get a 0-60 in around 8s without a diesel engine is what i wud like -any ideas? lets say 27k to start off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Agent_47

I wanted a Mazda 2 GT with Meteor Grey colour, Mazda Ireland ordered 2 colours and that was it for next 4 months. Accept ****e color and you could have Mazda 2 GT or go elsewhere. Could have got it up North but for VRT and VAT. We went elsewhere.

Same with Audi, accept 1.2 engine or go elsewhere, we went 2nd hand up North and got a low milege A1 in 1.4 TSFI.

Looking for a Peugeot 208/9 for junior, will go UK or North. Enough faffing around down here with dealers and available stock. Life is too short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Can you find a similar compact hatchback with 205bhp for under 30k? Being a Renault doesn't make it expensive or bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

30k on a Renault.

Jesus.

It's a stunning car do and also come's with advanced rear wheel steering which makes it even more agile. I have seen a few around as well as looked at one in a Renault showroom. It a great looker. Also Renaults come with 5 year warranties now not that you would need it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

AMKC wrote: »
    It's a stunning car do and also come's with advanced rear wheel steering which makes it even more agile. I have seen a few around as well as looked at one in a Renault showroom. It a great looker. Also Renaults come with 5 year warranties now not that you would need it.

205 horses isn't anything to be writing home about.

depends on whether you use the public road system or not :)

and weight of the car

something thats get a 0-60 in around 8s without a diesel engine is what i wud like -any ideas? lets say 27k to start off

That was exactly what I was looking for (in a hatchback), except I wanted something around 3 years old. There's a complete lack of that kind of car in Ireland, and whatever little there is usually has a massive spoiler and stupid looking bucket seats.

The Golf GTI/R are fairly normal looking hatchbacks with decent petrol engines in them and they sell extremely well, I'm not sure why other manufacturers haven't noticed this yet. Most of them won't offer anything other than a base level petrol engine and then maybe some boy racer looking sport version at the other end.

I had been looking at importing something like this, there were examples that you could have on the road in Ireland for about €12-13k which is not too bad for what you're getting. The interior is fairly awful on the original MK3 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

It is when it's €30k to be fair. I don't know many cars with that power for that price. 150hp Golf and 180hp Civic are both 0-60 in 8.2 seconds, the Megane GT is 7.4 and is a tad cheaper. The Peugeot 308 GT is slightly more expensive, slower and a manual.

200hp is still pretty quick and the Megane does it without costing a fortune. I honestly didn't know about it before it was mentioned here and that's a pretty decent offering for the price.

That was exactly what I was looking for (in a hatchback), except I wanted something around 3 years old. There's a complete lack of that kind of car in Ireland, and whatever little there is usually has a massive spoiler and stupid looking bucket seats.

The Golf GTI/R are fairly normal looking hatchbacks with decent petrol engines in them and they sell extremely well, I'm not sure why other manufacturers haven't noticed this yet. Most of them won't offer anything other than a base level petrol engine and then maybe some boy racer looking sport version at the other end.

I had been looking at importing something like this, there were examples that you could have on the road in Ireland for about €12-13k which is not too bad for what you're getting. The interior is fairly awful on the original MK3 though.

no disrespect and it sounds like your lucky but someone that buys a gti gets it to drive hard

• Advertisement

any good car importers here that handle all the paperwork? do you get to use the garages in ireland too for services, warranty etc.

turns out the new focus model isn't coming to ireland until autumn

have we missed anything....golf, renault, honda, mazda covered i think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

My 04 focus has 75 horses but I'd say a few have fecked off since then.

205 is interstellar to me right now.

For me to overtake I need to check the weather the night before:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

30k on a Renault.

Jesus.

That sort of attitude is ridiculous . If Renault rebadged a Ferrari Enzo, what would it be worth, 15 grand?

It's also no where near the most expensive Renault there's been.

That sort of attitude is ridiculous . If Renault rebadged a Ferrari Enzo, what would it be worth, 15 grand?

It's also no where near the most expensive Renault there's been.

i thought renault had a bad reputation particularly after the old laguna

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

something thats get a 0-60 in around 8s without a diesel engine is what i wud like -any ideas? lets say 27k to start off

SEAT Ibiza FR with the 1.5 turbo petrol, 8 secs 0-60, starts around €21-22K.

theres only a one litre ibiza available on the website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

options, different engines, light coloured interiors. Irish dealers hate these.

"buy your silver bog spec 1.5 diesel econobox and be happy peasants"
    - Dealers.

i've decided on a vw golf now - the highline one - comes in at 33k without some of the stupid extras.

options, different engines, light coloured interiors. Irish dealers hate these.

"buy your silver bog spec 1.5 diesel econobox and be happy peasants"
    - Dealers.

any idea why? given the wealth is all in the older generations hands in ireland maybe all they want is 1 litres...maybe young "1.5" litre heads don't buy cars much here

• Advertisement

i've decided on a vw golf now - the highline one - comes in at 33k without some of the stupid extras.

For that kind of money you can import a year old bmw 330e, petrol plug in hybrid, 0-60 in 6 secs.😉

theres only a one litre ibiza available on the website

Look again. I saw the 1.5 there today

Edit: hit the Configurator, select Trim Fr, then Engine, and you can have a 1.0 95, 1.0 115, 1.0 115 DSG, 1.5 EVO (all petrol) and a 1.6 diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

any idea why? given the wealth is all in the older generations hands in ireland maybe all they want is 1 litres...maybe young "1.5" litre heads don't buy cars much here

that has nothing to do with what factory build order options and sure...blame older people because you're broke...

that has nothing to do with what factory build order options and sure...blame older people because you're broke...

what do you drive so? :D

Look again. I saw the 1.5 there today

Edit: hit the Configurator, select Trim Fr, then Engine, and you can have a 1.0 95, 1.0 115, 1.0 115 DSG, 1.5 EVO (all petrol) and a 1.6 diesel.

what would you go for? seat or vw?

1.4l turbo petrol - 150bhp by the way on the golf

what would you go for? seat or vw?

Back in 2015 when I wanted a car like this (Petrol, quickish, about 27K) I bought a Mini Cooper. Brilliant little car.

Back in 2015 when I wanted a car like this (Petrol, quickish, about 27K) I bought a Mini Cooper. Brilliant little car.

lol, there a womans car :) i was gonna get an audi a3 s line without the hard suspension but i would have had to wait for it - so here we got....someone mentioned a year old 330e - can anyone tell me why a car with (is it a 2yr warranty the bmws come with?) why would someone put that up for sale?

might get the a6 estate s line in the future if you want to say i'm broke :?

had a bmw 5 series before and bought the t shirt tbh

just getting back on the road after a few years of illness stopping me from driving

If your current list include an Ibiza and an A6, i think you need to have a think about what you actually want before you buy and regret it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement