Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experiences of Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt vs Garmin 520?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

brownian wrote: »
    +1 on the bolt battery. Does last for all day rides. I'll be using mine on Saturday for the Dying Light.
    Does it require a non-data cable to charge while out on a ride (i.e. will it re-set the ride if a normal data cable is used?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

TBH I never had to do this, so I don't know. Never got near empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Does it require a non-data cable to charge while out on a ride (i.e. will it re-set the ride if a normal data cable is used?)

No, TBH the last unit I've seen that required such cable was your Edge 500 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Anyone know of a wahoo will attach to a Garmin mount?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Anyone know of a wahoo will attach to a Garmin mount?

Yes, and no - the tabs are 3&9 as opposed to the Garmin 6&12 - or visa versa, either way, they're opposite to each other. The Wahoo tab is also about 1mm wider than the Garmin tabs, so slightly too wide for the Garmin mount slots, you can force it in easily enough. So if you have the standard Garmin stem mount with rubber bands just rotate 90deg, and nip tiny amount of the opening with a sharp blade and it'll fit no problem. I'm running a few bikes like this.

If you've a fixed out front mount that won't rotate then Wahoo will sell you an thing that will make it fit. The Bolt comes with two mounts as standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Ive noticed the supplied Wahoo out front mount developed a rattle after a few months. I ended up putting some duct tape on the base of the mount to apply a little more pressure to the underside of the head unit itself to reduce the noise, which it did (mostly). I did play with the idea of getting a metal mount (Kedge) but the cost put me off. Strangely the stem mount had no such noises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Luxman wrote: »
    I did play with the idea of getting a metal mount (Kedge) but the cost put me off.

Kedge mounts are quite expensive but there really solid. I've mine with 5+ years so definitely got the money's worth and still going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭py

Anyone seen one of the Bolt's at a decent price anywhere?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I could be wrong about this, and it would be my only, and may not be a genuine complaint. Compared to my Edge 500, it is slightly slower to respond to jumps and decelerations. The edge, once moving, seemed to respond quicker in regards what it showed on screen in regards speed etc. It is only a millisecond but it is noticeable to the voices in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭AxleAddict

Sort for jumping in but I’m also considering going from 520 to the bolt. One question can u get an out front mount for aero handlebars for the elemnt bolt ?? Thanks

Although I can't answer your specific question, I'm assuming you already have an out-front mount for your Edge 520 - if so, you can purchase a Garmin ->Wahoo mount adaptor:

https://uk.wahoofitness.com/devices/accessories/quarter-turn-mount-adapter-elemnt

Alternatively, it is possible to modify an existing Garmin mount to accept both Garmin and Wahoo devices - the modification is irreversible though in as much as it requires a little trimming/filing of the Garmin mount so if you're thinking of selling the Edge 520 and all its accessories in pristine condition then this may not be an option for you. If you'd like to take the plunge however, then here's the info you need:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2iM3kB9vUE

FWIW, Wahoo didn't sell Garmin -> Wahoo adaptors when I purchased my ELEMNT Bolt so I went for the latter approach - worked for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Buy one of the "Moon" bread mounts.
    Same as K Edge and you canv even use the K Edge insert pucks for whatever you need Garmin or Wahoo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

So I have finally bought my first proper bike computer, the Elemnt Bolt. I'm very disappointed with the battery. I charged it up to 100% last night, and today it did 2 hours of commuting and a roller session of 42 mins and the battery is now down to 74%. Am I expecting too much? I have the backlight and sound turned off. I thought it had up to 18 hours of battery life, there's barely 9 in it at the current rate. And I haven't used the maps yet!
    I have a feeling i'm doing something wrong, or doing It wrong or something. Leaving something on that could be off etc.
    I have cadence, time, HR, speed, distance and time of day (I have 3 pages set up with combinations of them or less).

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭AxleAddict

nee wrote: »
    So I have finally bought my first proper bike computer, the Elemnt Bolt. I'm very disappointed with the battery. I charged it up to 100% last night, and today it did 2 hours of commuting and a roller session of 42 mins and the battery is now down to 74%. Am I expecting too much? I have the backlight and sound turned off. I thought it had up to 18 hours of battery life, there's barely 9 in it at the current rate. And I haven't used the maps yet!
    I have a feeling i'm doing something wrong, or doing It wrong or something. Leaving something on that could be off etc.
    I have cadence, time, HR, speed, distance and time of day (I have 3 pages set up with combinations of them or less).

The expected battery life of the ELEMNT BOLT is 15hrs - it's the larger ELEMNT unit which has 17hrs of battery life - I'm not sure where you're getting the 18hr figure from.

https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000209150-What-is-the-Battery-Life-of-the-ELEMNT-BOLT-

https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000129010-What-is-the-battery-life-of-the-ELEMNT-

The number of connected sensors will also affect battery life - I've managed to get 12-13hrs out of my ELEMENT Bolt on a couple of occasions (Mallorca 312, Dragon Ride) although I didn't have any sensors connected on those occasions, with minimal backlight usage and didn't go as far as turning off the LEDs.

You might also find that the battery life improves as you go through a few charge cycles.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

AxleAddict wrote: »
    The expected battery life of the ELEMNT BOLT is 15hrs - it's the larger ELEMNT unit which has 17hrs of battery life - I'm not sure where you're getting the 18hr figure from.

https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000209150-What-is-the-Battery-Life-of-the-ELEMNT-BOLT-

https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000129010-What-is-the-battery-life-of-the-ELEMNT-

The number of connected sensors will also affect battery life - I've managed to get 12-13hrs out of my ELEMENT Bolt on a couple of occasions (Mallorca 312, Dragon Ride) although I didn't have any sensors connected on those occasions, with minimal backlight usage and didn't go as far as turning off the LEDs.

You might also find that the battery life improves as you go through a few charge cycles.

Ah I saw it in one of the help sites I was looking at last night, I can't remember which one.
    I have speed, cadence and HR connected, maybe that's it?
    I can't wait for the battery life to improve after a couple of charges! First go it was 44% then one day of commuting (2 hours, just cadence and speed) it was down to 18%.
    Fingers crossed for further charging improvement!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭G1032

CramCycle wrote: »
    I could be wrong about this, and it would be my only, and may not be a genuine complaint. Compared to my Edge 500, it is slightly slower to respond to jumps and decelerations. The edge, once moving, seemed to respond quicker in regards what it showed on screen in regards speed etc. It is only a millisecond but it is noticeable to the voices in my head.

Definitely. 100% correct here. Cadence too....Edge 500 responds quicker. Still love the Wahoo though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

My bolt was still showing 27% (iirc) after 275km/ over 12 hours moving time with power meter and hrm. Battery life was the main reason I went for it over Garmin, and in fairness it hasn't let me down.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Macy0161 wrote: »
    My bolt was still showing 27% (iirc) after 275km/ over 12 hours moving time with power meter and hrm. Battery life was the main reason I went for it over Garmin, and in fairness it hasn't let me down.

Same here, one charge will keep mine going a fortnight with HR and Cadence connected. Probably 16 hours with HR and Cadence and still not dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

After a couple of > 6 hour (moving) cycles / around > 7 hours my 520 battery was getting very low.
    Ended up having to turn off Glonass, BT light, brightness, weather which seems to have improved things. Things I didn't really need but still a pity you've to pick and choose things.

Advertisement