Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help needed

Options
  • 01-04-2018 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭

I'm currently after loosing my job, I have worked part time in the same place for nearly two years now doing 20 to 28 hours a week. I have all my tax up to date and I'm currently in college. I only attend college 3 days a week and want to know if I have any options to claim for a social welfare payment or get help from anywhere else.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I'm currently after loosing my job, I have worked part time in the same place for nearly two years now doing 20 to 28 hours a week. I have all my tax up to date and I'm currently in college. I only attend college 3 days a week and want to know if I have any options to claim for a social welfare payment or get help from anywhere else.

Might be better to post in "State Benefits" forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

if you aren't available and seeking full time work you can't get anything from the social unless you are on back to education scheme. most colleges have something like a financial aid officer (forget the actual name of it) who can give out hardship grants but usually they only do that in the beginning of each semester.

you'll probably have to look at getting a student loan from the bank to tide you over until summer as you can sign on once college is over. you'll probably need a co-signer for that like a parent etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

if you aren't available and seeking full time work you can't get anything from the social unless you are on back to education scheme. most colleges have something like a financial aid officer (forget the actual name of it) who can give out hardship grants but usually they only do that in the beginning of each semester.

you'll probably have to look at getting a student loan from the bank to tide you over until summer as you can sign on once college is over. you'll probably need a co-signer for that like a parent etc.

Yeah I know they have already dished out that money a long time ago applications closed on the 2nd of March. honestly think it's a joke if I have to take a loan out to finish college , really feel like there is no incentive to go and try to do better for yourself at times

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Yeah I know they have already dished out that money a long time ago applications closed on the 2nd of March. honestly think it's a joke if I have to take a loan out to finish college , really feel like there is no incentive to go and try to do better for yourself at times

OP do you get student grant? You can try the community welfare office but at this point I'd suggest the loan option aswell.

There is plenty of incentive to go and do well for yourself however some people slip through the cracks. Dust yourself off and try apply for a loan, you'll pick up work again or the social in the summer. Don't take it personally but you've only got 6-8 weeks left to finance yourself through

Shift your perspective. You’ve been earning the means to pay your way for a couple of years. Don’t fall into the trap of thinking you should be entitled to something now just because things have taken a turn for the worse.

If you can’t take this new set of circumstances as an incentive to complete your studies and do better for yourself as soon as you can, you’re missing something for sure.

You'll make it work. Don’t let this become an excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

The incentive to better yourself is that you'll be able to afford to do what you want when you're older after getting a good job because you 'bettered' yourself.

duffman13 wrote: »
    OP do you get student grant? You can try the community welfare office but at this point I'd suggest the loan option aswell.

There is plenty of incentive to go and do well for yourself however some people slip through the cracks. Dust yourself off and try apply for a loan, you'll pick up work again or the social in the summer. Don't take it personally but you've only got 6-8 weeks left to finance yourself through

no I get no financial support from anyone at all , I also pay the student contribution charge myself and well i will finish out of course. Just kinda needed to vent some frustration is all

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

no I get no financial support from anyone at all , I also pay the student contribution charge myself and well i will finish out of course. Just kinda needed to vent some frustration is all

Fair enough, I get that, I'd something similar happen to me when I was in 3rd year of college. The one thing you'll get is the motivation to never be in that situation where you feel helpless and broke. Best of luck OP

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Meeoow

If you paid for your course, you might be able to claim tax back on cost.

Meeoow wrote: »
    If you paid for your course, you might be able to claim tax back on cost.

already asked that to revenue and they don't do tax back on the 3000 student contribution of the fees

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

already asked that to revenue and they don't do tax back on the 3000 student contribution of the fees

The course fee is what you would have paid the college to sit the course.
    The student contribution is a different animal.

There was a list of approved courses/colleges on revenue website, not too sure if it's still there.

The course fee is what you would have paid the college to sit the course.
    The student contribution is a different animal.

There was a list of approved courses/colleges on revenue website, not too sure if it's still there.

I'll give revenue a bell later to see if it's a case of being able to get some of the money back. It's defo worth a shot anyways.

Here is the revenue page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

start looking for new jobs too, its coming into summer and plenty of places start hiring now to get staff trained up

start looking for new jobs too, its coming into summer and plenty of places start hiring now to get staff trained up

I have had 4 interviews so far , still haven't got paid a cent and it's 8 days after pay day so I wonder is it time to pursue him legally

I wonder is it time to pursue him legally
    On what grounds?

From your initial post.
    I'm currently after loosing my job,
    Is the business closing or have they advised you that you are no longer required?
    I have worked part time in the same place for nearly two years now
    Redundancy is only paid after more than 2 years so you may have no entitlement there.
    Citizens Information page gives further information
    if I have any options to claim for a social welfare payment
    There are 2 types of social welfare payments.
    Contribution based or means tested.
    Contribution based require a certain number of contributions to be paid by you (there are age factors too) and if you are eligible Unemployment BENEFIT may be paid for a period.
    Means tested as it implies will involve an assessment of your ability to sustain yourself.
    But critically it requires you to be available for and actively seeking work. This is not compatible with attending college unfortunately.

On what grounds?

From your initial post.
    Is the business closing or have they advised you that you are no longer required?

Redundancy is only paid after more than 2 years so you may have no entitlement there.
    Citizens Information page gives further information

There are 2 types of social welfare payments.
    Contribution based or means tested.
    Contribution based require a certain number of contributions to be paid by you (there are age factors too) and if you are eligible Unemployment BENEFIT may be paid for a period.
    Means tested as it implies will involve an assessment of your ability to sustain yourself.
    But critically it requires you to be available for and actively seeking work. This is not compatible with attending college unfortunately.

I havent received my last pay or the holiday pay that I'm also owed by the company and I got a text to say it was closed temporarily from that night onwards i finished work at 10 and got a text at 12 to say it was closed temporarily. So I got about 2 hours notice and was rostered to work the Friday Saturday and Sunday and told not to go in.

Advertisement