Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Metrics: Euro / Square Meter

Options
  • 01-04-2018 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Dear all,

is it time to make it COMPULSORY for agents and private sellers to forcibly publish the € per square meter ?

The rest of the world seems to work like that:

-BER certificates include this
    -Critical when calculating extensions, insulating house, electricians, plumbers .... buying new windows ...
    -House insurance

What is this magic metric that nobody else seems to be using in our country?

Is it not the way items have to be priced in supermarkets?

Am I going crazy ??? people do not seem to mind that this metric is CRITICAL before even deciding to bid on a property?

I say it is time to publish this COMPULSORY for all agents, websites etc ... lets stop this property bull**** TODAY.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Can't you calculate it yourself with the information provided in the ad?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I agree that publishing it would be helpful, but it isn't as though this metric (or €/square foot) is that hidden. Almost all ads include 1) asking price and 2) square feet/square meters. So you just have to take 10 seconds to work it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mrknock

We are not discussing my math skills thank you

Location is the most important metric for me.
    The next metric is how much the bank will give me.

Location is the most important metric for me.
    The next metric is how much the bank will give me.

How do you quantify differences for two houses next to each other in the exact same area ?

• Advertisement

mrknock wrote: »
    How do you quantify differences for two houses next to each other in the exact same area ?

Realistically never going to happen unless you're looking to buy in a new estate.

Realistically never going to happen unless you're looking to buy in a new estate.

I am wasting my time with this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭syndrome777

you are lucky if estate agents even know the square footage.
    I was in numerous viewing and I asked what the sq m of the place was (as it wasn't n the add) most of them didn't havea clue and were looking at me like I asked if the boat is cumming with this property or something

the whole this how it's done here is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Sarn

It would be useful in the property price register. It would make general comparisons a bit easier. At the moment it requires a search for old ads to see what size and state the property was in when it was sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Why do you think this is important?

A house with a lower price per sqm is only better value is all else is equal, and all else is NEVER equal.

If you're going to obsess over one metric, start with ACH measured by blower door testing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

Indeed there should be a requirement to include the floor area in ads, and certainly in the property price register. It seems absolutely mad to me the way it works today, even the way statistics are done in this country. I mean, seriously, how useful is it to know that the "average price of a 3-bedroom semi detached house outside Dublin" is, say,€250,000?

Surely it's a lot more helpful to know that the "average price per sqm in Newbridge" is €25,000?

The obsessions with the number of bedrooms in this country is baffling. People seem to prefer a 4-bedroom, 100 sqm, house to a 3-bedroom, 150 sqm, house.

Price per sqm could be useful also in ads, but a first step would be to make sure the sqm value is available.

hognef wrote: »
    Price per sqm could be useful also in ads, but a first step would be to make sure the sqm value is available.

Excepting BER exempt properties (aka money pits), the sqm is available in the BER, which is itself a public document, and including the cert number in the ad is a legal requirement.

It makes scraping stats harder for the market watchers, but if you're looking at an individual property it's only a couple of clicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

All the best so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

It is easy to calculate. It should be provided for purchases and rentals and is elsewhere in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

You know where the airport is!tra-la

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

How do you quantify differences for two houses next to each other in the exact same area ?[/quote]

If the houses are exactly the same and in the exact same location then I start by bidding on the cheaper one but monitoring the other one.

If they are not exactly the same the i look to see what the difference is e.g. Windows, upgradedkitchen etc and decide if I feel the improvement is worth it. Then proceed as per step one.

With refurbishment costs at something like 1k psm, larger properties are something of a liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Dear all,

is it time to make it COMPULSORY for agents and private sellers to forcibly publish the € per square meter ?

-Critical when calculating extensions, insulating house, electricians, plumbers .... buying new windows ...
    -House insurance

Am I going crazy ??? people do not seem to mind that this metric is CRITICAL before even deciding to bid on a property?

I say it is time to publish this COMPULSORY for all agents, websites etc ... lets stop this property bull**** TODAY.

I don’t think it’s critical. Location is critical. What the heck does sq m have to do with plumbing , windows or electric s?

The sq m is in the BER

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Sarn wrote: »
    It would be useful in the property price register. It would make general comparisons a bit easier. At the moment it requires a search for old ads to see what size and state the property was in when it was sold.
    How could you make a comparsdion without seen the properties ? One might need a complete renovation. One might have an expensive finish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I find working out the sq m is a very useful tool for comparing prices of houses.

I know the general sq m price for my area and when I see a house that looks low or high price I can always compare the sq m price to see how that compares to the average.

It is plainly obvious to see if a how is way overpriced.......unless of course they have way above standard fit out or a massive side garden (another site) which might push the sq m way above the average.

It is very useful to know the sq m when say comparing apartment prices and house prices in the same area. It is definitely a good guide for buyers to see if they are being ripped off and as the OP says is given in lots of other countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

I think the metric should be to a certain level of accuracy and is useful to compare size difference between 2 houses and their associated cost.

It kind of reminds me when I see in the butchers 5 pork chops for €5 where I would prefer to see 0.7kg of pork for €5 so that I could do a cost comparison. It drives my mum crazy too as she used always know the cost/lbs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

ted1 wrote: »
    Dear all,

-House insurance

Am I going crazy ???  people do not seem to mind that this metric is CRITICAL before even deciding to bid on a property?

I don’t think it’s critical. Location is critical. What the heck does sq m have to do with plumbing , windows or electric s?

The sq m is in the BER
    sq m is as useful as knowing how many bedrooms are present but knowing the number of bedrooms is considered crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭syndrome777

sometimes you just want a property of a certain size.
    E.g not want a 2 bed apt of 40 sq.m.

or 2 bed house of 120sq m.

for me that puts a lot of things in perspective.....most of the time there are sizes of the rooms listed ...but many times there is no size and no room dimensions....I find that to be very unprofessional and it waists a lot of time

and many times than I would liked I've been on viewings where the agents couldn't provide me with these numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

I get where OP is coming from. But I was happy that price was quoted and sqm was quoted so price per sqm is available. Rarely seen measurements hidden. Can be a grey area too as some houses have extensions done that add to size but sometimes need to be torn down so actually have no value. So many factors go into buying a house.

If there was a change put on selling process I would like to see lot more onus put on vendor to have property ready for sale and in terms of condition of property. I think it leads to drawn out closings etc.

If we managed to obtain for all properties

-euro/sqm (best price predictor)
    -geotagged all properties in the price register

We would not see half of the abuse we see nowadays. It is like technology never reached politics in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

We would not see half of the abuse we see nowadays. It is like technology never reached politics in this country

I disagree euro/sqm is best price indicator but yes if included with location and BER it would give a much better sense. Totally agree with where you are coming from and not sure why PPR can't include a few more details such as size and BER etc. Site size can be as important in City and whether it's detached or semi D. Those things matter. I've seen people in City pay up big time for extra garden.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I don't think that euro/sqm is anything like the best price indicator. It completely fails to take into account the standard of the property or any work that has been done or may need to be done.

While I do agree, euro/sqm would be useful/interesting additional information, it is pretty meaningless on its own.

What abuse do you think would be stopped?

Graham wrote: »
    I don't think that euro/sqm is anything like the best price indicator. It completely fails to take into account the standard of the property or any work that has been done or may need to be done.

What is the best indicator so? Number of bedrooms, which is pretty much the only metric always available?
    While I do agree, euro/sqm would be useful/interesting additional information, it is pretty meaningless on its own.

In fairness, every piece of information is meaningless on its own.

The standard of advertising needs to be dramatically improved in general, e.g.

- Quality of pictures is often ****e
    - Floor area often missing
    - Floor plans often missing
    - Site area never mentioned
    - Address is often in accurate
    - BER cert. no. should be mandatory
    - Size of management fees are never mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

hognef wrote: »
    What is the best indicator so? Number of bedrooms, which is pretty much the only metric always available?

The best indicator is you going to see the property and deciding for yourself if you want to live in that house in that location. Nothing else.

• Advertisement

The best indicator is you going to see the property and deciding for yourself if you want to live in that house in that location. Nothing else.

If you've nothing better to do, that's fine. In which case there's also no need for a description, pictures, location, price or anything else, as all will be revealed when you see the property.

Advertisement