Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Metrics: Euro / Square Meter

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

Graham wrote: »
    I'm assuming you quoted the wrong post because I know that's not what I suggested.

Well, you keep saying it's "useless on its own" and it's "not the full story" (without saying anything about what else would be required to complete the story), and seem to be implying that it therefore would make no sense to make it available.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mrknock

If the register had euro/sqm and the ads included euro/sqm then bidding would not be so obscure.

It would be just harder for the Estate Agents and banks to confuse the consumers.

Currently this national disgrace is epidemic and more often than not, a disease that will tank Ireland.

Anyways I am sure that everyone posting during office hours is just a regular Joe .... and not a PR representative for Sherr.... Daf.... MyH... ... .. .. ..

Unrelated/related: we seem to have more regulations for gambling/sport betting than deciding which bank is going to own us for the rest of our life ....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

hognef wrote: »
    Well, you keep saying it's "useless on its own" and it's "not the full story" (without saying anything about what else would be required to complete the story), and seem to be implying that it therefore would make no sense to make it available.

I know the OP said they didn't want a maths lesson but as others have pointed out, it's available through a simple calculation. There's no point in regulating for rank laziness.

Price per sqm is useless anyway as we don't have fixed pricing for property.

Hahaha laziness about calculating ......

We are talking about having more accurate metrics to compare. How many BER certificates can you download to compare euro/sqm? and the houses that are in the register ? Where is your beloved BER IN PPR? and the area ?

WE KNOW WE ARE BEING MANIPULATED.
    WE ARE NOT IDIOTS. WE KNOW THERE ARE
    ESTATE AGENTS IN THE FORUM. WE KNOW
    YOU ARE TRYING HARD.
    YOU ARE GOING TO LOOSE.

• Advertisement

I know the OP said they didn't want a maths lesson but as others have pointed out, it's available through a simple calculation. There's no point in regulating for rank laziness.

HEY SAMUEL 4K POSTS IN 12 MONTHS? YOU DONT HAVE JOB?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

mrknock wrote: »

I spend most of my day at work on boards tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Frilly Knickers

Is post per year the best metric on whether someone has a job? It's not really the full picture. Plus you can derive it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭syndrome777

a third of adds on myHome don't have the size of the property on the add.

Now tell me that this isn't important ether?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Most people won’t work it out. I agree that it would be a nice metric to have front and centre.

However, in Ireland what is often more important is number of bedrooms. A 4 bed with the same size as a 3 bed costs more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

no.8 wrote: »
    ted1 wrote:
    The sq m is in the BER

Assuming it has a BER (E.G. Rental properties)
    Anything for sale or rent needs one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

a third of adds on myHome don't have the size of the property on the add.

Now tell me that this isn't important ether?
    You’ll probably find 2/3 of the properties have incorrect measurements

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭py

It can be a useful starting point but as others have said there is so much more to a home purchase than just cost per square metre. Items like heating system, single/double glazing, wiring/plumbing age, garden size and orientation, presence of an attic and if it's converted, on/off street parking, semi or fully detached ... the list goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

Dear all,

is it time to make it COMPULSORY for agents and private sellers to forcibly publish the € per square meter ?

The rest of the world seems to work like that:

-BER certificates include this
    -Critical when calculating extensions, insulating house, electricians, plumbers .... buying new windows ...
    -House insurance

What is this magic metric that nobody else seems to be using in our country?

Is it not the way items have to be priced in supermarkets?

Am I going crazy ??? people do not seem to mind that this metric is CRITICAL before even deciding to bid on a property?

I say it is time to publish this COMPULSORY for all agents, websites etc ... lets stop this property bull**** TODAY.

The IPMS (International Property Measurement Standards) are mandatory for both SCSI and RICS members from January 2016 (measurements have to be in sqm) - this is for commercial buildings only. These are new requirements on how to measure i.e. how to treat voids/stairwells/where to measure up to etc. - its not just a matter of clicking your laser meter. There is no requirement to provide measurements just in sqm for residential properties at present.

Agents should have measurements of the property they are selling to hand in both sqm and sq ft.... in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

When I was shopping around I had the choice of buying 2 properties in different locations, refurbished to different standards. One was about €2300/sqm. The other was closer to €5000. I bought the more expensive one. Ripped off, was I?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭koheim

well, if you paid 450k for a 90 sqm, 3 bedrrom semi-d that sounds expensive, but maybe you paid 650k for 130sqm detached house with a large outdoor space. It all depends. It is nice to have the metric there. It keeps everybody a but more honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

ted1 wrote: »
    Anything for sale or rent needs one.

It is rare enough to find one for rental places though, there is no enforcement on it for rental but you wont be able to sell without one

koheim wrote: »
    well, if you paid 450k for a 90 sqm, 3 bedrrom semi-d that sounds expensive, but maybe you paid 650k for 130sqm detached house with a large outdoor space. It all depends. It is nice to have the metric there. It keeps everybody a but more honest...

400 for an 81sqm 3 bed with converted attic, decent sized garden with brick shed, recently refurbished etc. Pricey enough but within our budget and in the area we wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Most people won’t work it out. I agree that it would be a nice metric to have front and centre.

However, in Ireland what is often more important is number of bedrooms. A 4 bed with the same size as a 3 bed costs more.

This is a dumb way of calculating. My house is currently a 3 bedroom, it could be a 4 or 5 bedroom if I converted some of the other rooms. Does that mean that if I swap my desk and chair in my office with a bed that the house is suddenly worth more?

jester77 wrote: »
    This is a dumb way of calculating. My house is currently a 3 bedroom, it could be a 4 or 5 bedroom if I converted some of the other rooms. Does that mean that if I swap my desk and chair in my office with a bed that the house is suddenly worth more?

It's absolutely stupid but you'd be amazed at the number of listings trying to scrape a higher asking price by moving the couch to the kitchen and dressing the living room up as a downstairs bedroom

• Advertisement
Advertisement