Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SERC 3 Peaks

Options
  • 01-04-2018 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

Love this spin, not able to ride it this year due to a bit a scare 6 weeks ago but will be marshalling parts of the route. 2 of the best climbs in Wicklow along with the beauty of the Vale of Avoca followed up by a ton of home cooked grub, can't recommend it enough.

The SERC 3 Peaks Challenge 2018 will take place on Sunday the 8th of April.
    Entrance fee is only €25 online (if there are any places left open on the day it will be €30). Use this link to PayPal to enter https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=48SLV43PKXXLA .Sign on opens at 8.00am at Arklow Rock's GAA club, rolling out at 9.30am
    With two challenging route options 100km and 70km.
    Refreshments served afterwards.
    Great warm-up for the Wicklow 200 as we cross two of the major climbs used in the Wicklow 200, Slieve Mann and Shay Elliott. This promises to be a great event with spectacular views of the Wicklow country side.
    Please note it is mandatory to have a 2018 Cycling Ireland licence. One day licenses are available at sign on at a cost of €5. As the event numbers are limited it is advised to sign up online as soon as possible.
    Route details https://www.strava.com/activities/127599178
    The 70km route is as follows https://www.strava.com/routes/7857220

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Signed up, looking forward to my first sportive of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Whyner wrote: »
    Signed up, looking forward to my first sportive of the year

Good work - course was marked up today and is nicely cleared now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Sold out according to their Facebook page today. Glad I finally made up my mind yesterday and booked online��

Will be Swords gear if anyone wants to say hallo!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

Looking forward to it now, first time trying out Wicklow so I hope Wicklow is gentle on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭531

Did this today. Great event. Organisation, marshaling, catering.... all brilliant. Even the weather was kind. Well done to all involved.

• Advertisement

Even though it's only 12 months since I last did it, with 94km done and heading for Arklow, I wishfully thought that the third peak had been omitted this year. Then that bloody right turn at the garage outside Woodebridge appeared and the long drag began. While it's nowhere as steep as Slieve Maan or Shay Elliott, there was a lot more suffering and cramp on those last few kms.

Well done SERC for a great event and for making sure that the rain held off. I hope Cionn survived gentle Wicklow;)

That was a great day out - was really envious of everyone as I scooted from marshal point to marshal point.

Hope everyone enjoyed themselves, we had a record attendance so I know I was a bit nervous about doing the event well. Think everything was pretty ok, only needed one spare wheel and the track pump a couple of times as I acted an occasional support car.

Big thanks to all the riders for their support!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭531

saccades wrote: »
    That was a great day out - was really envious of everyone as I scooted from marshal point to marshal point.

Hope everyone enjoyed themselves, we had a record attendance so I know I was a bit nervous about doing the event well. Think everything was pretty ok, only needed one spare wheel and the track pump a couple of times as I acted an occasional support car.

Big thanks to all the riders for their support!

'Pretty ok'? No, it was a brilliantly run event.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭barryf42

weather held up and it was a great day out on the bike - the support and marshalls were top class throughout the day . the last drag to arklow from wooden bridge is a killer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Great ride today. From start to finish, perfectly run. Thanks for keeping us safe and pointing in the right direction when needed.Even managed to pull off the good weather. Great spread put on at the finish. Well done to all involved.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't want to break with tradition here on Boards event pages so, where and when will photos be available? I seem to remember a photographer at the top of either Slieve Maan or Shay Elliott.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

I did the 3 Peaks yesterday and it was my first time riding in Wicklow. I knew it was going to be tough but by 85km I was reaching for the caffeine gel. It was a tough one. I was planning on doing the Wicklow 200 but not so sure now.
    The organisation was great though, marshals everywhere and very helpful and polite. It didn't help that I had 3 punctures
    Cionn

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭sweetswing

Never seen so many high end bikes in need of lube , squeaking and creaking all over the road .
    Very good event , well done everyone involved ðŸ‘

Camera man is working nights so needed extra beauty sleep after the event but is working through them all.

@cionn: I use the 3 Peaks as an early season marker, I wasn't able to do them this year (pulmonary embolism mugged me 6 weeks ago) but plan to do the W200, plenty of time to get the miles in and build the climbing legs.

I find I do both at about the same average speed as the winter coat drops off.

Edit to say: thanks for all the kind words and praise, glad to know everyone enjoyed it.

Loads of photos now on the SERC Facebook!

Advertisement