Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home CCTV thoughts on the following?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

gar wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking to put some cameras in externally on the house, mostly deterrent.

What are people's thoughts on the following
    https://www.aldi.ie/home-protector-4-camera-hd-cctv-kit/p/075715134963400

Like the look of this
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N0JD6F5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_xBtWAbK346RMA

Or an Arlo pro 2?

Or other thoughts?

Hi Gar

I was just about the post the same on Aldi system and what people thought of it, as I aint got a clue and I am just looking for a camera at the back and front door.

For that Aldi system, does anybody know if it is tricky to install? Would I need an electrician especially with running cables. I presume cables would need to be put through walls etc to link the cameras with the DVR box.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm sure there will be an expert along soon enough to either agree with me or tell me I'm talking rubbish, but isn't it illegal to install cctv yourself in Ireland?

Meant to be done only by a registered installer.

Something about rights of videoing people?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

OP you can get an electrician to wire your camera system and only wire it unless of course he has a Private Security Authority License to install it fully.

You can install your own system but if you are paying anyone to install a CCTV or other security system for you, then they need to have a PSA licence for the category in which the installation relates too.

If you are installing your own system, just be mindful of what the cameras are viewing, for example neighbouring houses and gardens etc.

As regards a camera system from Lidl or wherever else, have a look at the CCTV cameras that are installed in their shop, if they are not the same as the ones they sell, then that will tell you how good or bad they are.

I only looked at your specs there and they are fairly basic, it would be worth your while having a look at Hikvision equipment, that is what most installers use.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

kub wrote: »
    OP you can get an electrician to wire your camera system and only wire it unless of course he has a Private Security Authority License to install it fully.

You can install your own system but if you are paying anyone to install a CCTV or other security system for you, then they need to have a PSA licence for the category in which the installation relates too.

If you are installing your own system, just be mindful of what the cameras are viewing, for example neighbouring houses and gardens etc.

As regards a camera system from Lidl or wherever else, have a look at the CCTV cameras that are installed in their shop, if they are not the same as the ones they sell, then that will tell you how good or bad they are.

I only looked at your specs there and they are fairly basic, it would be worth your while having a look at Hikvision equipment, that is what most installers use.

Sorry but that doesn't really seem to make much sense: big international retailers with large scale commercial premises are hardly going to use small domestic cctv systems sold to consumers on their own stores.

Anyway, the current Aldi offer looks like a special own-brand package ("Home Protector 4") just put together for this offer and it would not have been available when the Aldi stores set up their own store system of security.

Having said that I do not know how good this package actually is. Two dome and two bullet cameras with a 1Tb hard disc with iPhone or iPad viewing sounds not too bad for €199 but the definition is listed as 720 with seems to the lowest definition available these days. Also, I wondered if there is an equivalent system anywhere with wireless camera connectivity instead of the awkward wiring this system would require.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It is an interesting thought. I do think that the needs of a retailer and the needs of a home owner are very different in terms of "security cameras".

For a retailer, they are most concerned with recording:
    1) Employees, both work practice and theft prevention
    2) Shoppers, both shop lifters and for insurance reasons (recording a "Slip" etc.)

Most big shops aren't really using CCTV for possible burglars, that more comes down to monitored security system and speedy Garda response.

That is why a traditional CCTV system with a DVR in the back office/managers office is usually fine for them.

I'm not sure such systems are ideal for home owners. I think perhaps that IP/Cloud cams might be more useful for them. Quick notification of a burglary in progress when your out and the video stored online so it can't be destroyed by said burglar.

Of course there are all sorts of pros and cons between these sort of systems. Concerns about cloud privacy, etc. and DVR CCTV systems are stating to get more connected.

gar, Arlo Pro 2 looks great, though a 4 camera system is going to set you back €1000!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Running costs are significant. Cloud storage is expensive and adds up.
    Some of the newer stuff has a pricing model to catch you over time.

Worth considering

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Stoner wrote: »
    Running costs are significant. Cloud storage is expensive and adds up.
    Some of the newer stuff has a pricing model to catch you over time.

Worth considering

Absolutely, though not all have significant fees.

For instance the above mentioned Arlo comes with 7 days of recording for free. Logitech Circle that I have give you 24 hours for free, which I think is fine for home use, if using indoor or certain outdoor scenarios, but not all.

But it is definitely worth keeping in mind when choosing a system.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hi OP,

I bought a system nearly identical to that from 'Annke' on Amazon, i think they probably have the same internals.

Mine records to the 1Tb drive, i have it hooked up to a seperate 4G sim card solely used for the CCTV and it has motion detection on it.

I get emails / push notifications to my phone whenever there is movement and it also attachs x3 screen grabs of the motion detected.

Mine is 8 channel with 4 cameras so leaves room for expansion.
    I self installed.

I would recommend it entirely for piece of mind its awesome. I can also login to the system remotely via the Annke App and rewind video on my phone to review.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

Thanks for all the replies and im even more confused at what i want to do.

Think ill go with a 2 camera Arlo system for myself (running cables where i wan the cameras will be a pain)

The other install im looking to do with the 4 cameras I am edging towards the Hikvision or Annke or any other suggestions.
    Ill probably go with an NVR and cameras with PoE.

any more comments welcomed or recommended shops / offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

One of the lads in work installed an Annke system a few weeks back, and on viewing his footage on the app and thumbs up I installed an Annke 4 camera NVR setup over the weekend, with the addition of a 5th Hikvision Dome. Happy enough so far, hardest part was working out where to run the wires to!

Wasn't that expensive as an option to see if it was what I thought it would be, or would it do what I need. Easy enough to replace/upgrade the NVR or cameras at a later date if I want now that it's all wired up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Grassey wrote: »
    One of the lads in work installed an Annke system a few weeks back, and on viewing his footage on the app and thumbs up I installed an Annke 4 camera NVR setup over the weekend, with the addition of a 5th Hikvision Dome. Happy enough so far, hardest part was working out where to run the wires to!

Wasn't that expensive as an option to see if it was what I thought it would be, or would it do what I need. Easy enough to replace/upgrade the NVR or cameras at a later date if I want now that it's all wired up.

what's the quality like to look at?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

what's the quality like to look at?

Great.

No complaints from mine 1080

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Ernest wrote: »
    Sorry but that doesn't really seem to make much sense: big international retailers with large scale commercial premises are hardly going to use small domestic cctv systems sold to consumers on their own stores.

Anyway, the current Aldi offer looks like a special own-brand package ("Home Protector 4") just put together for this offer and it would not have been available when the Aldi stores set up their own store system of security.
    bk wrote: »
    It is an interesting thought. I do think that the needs of a retailer and the needs of a home owner are very different in terms of "security cameras".

For a retailer, they are most concerned with recording:
    1) Employees, both work practice and theft prevention
    2) Shoppers, both shop lifters and for insurance reasons (recording a "Slip" etc.)

Most big shops aren't really using CCTV for possible burglars, that more comes down to monitored security system and speedy Garda response.

That is why a traditional CCTV system with a DVR in the back office/managers office is usually fine for them.

Indeed that is a very valid point regarding companies and householders not requiring the same cameras.
    But as a professional I would use the same cameras in both applications unless a specification says otherwise.

I hope no one is relying on CCTV to stop burglars, that task is better performed by an intruder alarm system.

kub wrote: »
    Indeed that is a very valid point regarding companies and householders not requiring the same cameras.
    But as a professional I would use the same cameras in both applications unless a specification says otherwise.

I hope no one is relying on CCTV to stop burglars, that task is better performed by an intruder alarm system.

Absolutely, a camera is a camera and I would assume that a professionally installed camera will have better picture quality, specially in terms of night time footage and choosing different focal lengths, etc.

Though there is also the question of overall capabilities and functions of the system. A DVR based system would be of little use in my home, given that it is an apartment and thus have no really good, safe place to put the DVR. A burglar would smash/steal it in less then 5 minutes. Which is why I've gone for a IP/Cloud based system. I can certainly see the attraction of the simplicity of setup and use of such systems.

The above mentioned Arlo system is quiet nice in that it offers the best of both worlds. It has a base unit where you can plug in a external HDD/memory stick for local recording and also the 7 days cloud storage. However it is an expensive system, so you are paying for that flexibility.

Agree completely it shouldn't be used in place of a security system. How I use my cameras is a supplement to my self monitored security system. If it notifies me of a break in, I can use my IP cameras to see that it isn't a false alert and call the Garda if it isn't and I could also use the two way voice facility on the cameras to maybe scare away a burglar and limit the damage they do.

gar, the idea of using both a DVR system and Arlo is nice, best of both worlds. Watch out though, Arlo has had three different generations of systems, Arlo, Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2, with different improving abilities (and cost). It can be easy to mix them up.

BTW there is also Blink, less capable then Arlo but also cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

What is the difference with bullet and dome cameras, do they perform different ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Is there a setup I can get for my house where I can put the main box beside my virgin media box and have a camera looking out my back laneway. I have a back garage I can get power to camera but not sure if wifi will pick up camera if I have setup in house. Id say 40ft from VM box to laneway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

if you can get a power wire to it, can you get a network wire to it ? does it have to be wi-fi ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'm sure there will be an expert along soon enough to either agree with me or tell me I'm talking rubbish, but isn't it illegal to install cctv yourself in Ireland?

Meant to be done only by a registered installer.

Something about rights of videoing people?
    No. You only have to use a licensed installer of you are paying someone AND the purpose of the system is for security.

For example you can pay a non licensed installer to put up a camera for you if it is to monitor a process, like cows calving in a shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

trellheim wrote: »
    if you can get a power wire to it, can you get a network wire to it ? does it have to be wi-fi ?

I can get power to camera but not network cable. just to messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

mad m wrote: »
    I can get power to camera but not network cable. just to messy.

I can't see why you can not get these networked when you have power going to them (Powerline adapters). Wired all the way for me as I found wifi cameras gave issues about reconnecting when the signal dropped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

bk wrote: »

gar, the idea of using both a DVR system and Arlo is nice, best of both worlds. Watch out though, Arlo has had three different generations of systems, Arlo, Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2, with different improving abilities (and cost). It can be easy to mix them up.

BTW there is also Blink, less capable then Arlo but also cheaper.

Cheers bk
    The Annke NVR system arrived this week and will install for where it's required next week and let you know how it is.
    I'm still looking for the Arlo pro 2 myself. Seen it nearly half price in best buy in the US compared to over here. Just wondering about how easy it would be to get a new power supply for the hub, don't want to be using adaptors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

gar wrote: »
    Cheers bk
    The Annke NVR system arrived this week and will install for where it's required next week and let you know how it is.
    I'm still looking for the Arlo pro 2 myself. Seen it nearly half price in best buy in the US compared to over here. Just wondering about how easy it would be to get a new power supply for the hub, don't want to be using adaptors.

What lenght are the power cables for the cameras,?
    Keep us posted on the annke setup, how easy/difficult to set it up,
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

ronn wrote: »
    Thanks

I got one recently from Amazon to replace an older pal system- it’s 2t storage 720p but when set to low loss compression the quality is really excellent. Was a thread on bargain alerts about it.

I would definitely go cabled as I read WiFi cameras are can reduce your WiFi signal in the house as everything shares the same resources. Bit of a pain to hide the wires but once installed it’s great.

I have been to several neighborhood watch meetings and the Garda are fully behind them as a deterent

Hide the box well - not under your tv- as you don’t want anyone taking that also- plus it’s got a drive and fan so quiet but not silent.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

ronn wrote: »
    Thanks

Mine came with 2*100ft, 2*30ft cables.

Set up involves plugging everything into the NVR (cameras, display, internet) then click through the screens. Can then be monitored via app after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

Also - I found it easier for me to cut off the connectors on one end - I know it’s not going to be for everyone - but it meant it was much easier to feed the thin wire around and then only required a tiny hole to be drilled in the window to get it outside.

Outside you can solder the wires back - but I soldered it directly inside the camera so no connectors were exposed to elements- nice neat job. The cables were also overly long so it meant I got to cut them exactly to length.

They are 4 wire cables (video signal, 2 grounds and 12v)

“Roll it back”

Advertisement