Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The League is over - Who is going to be in the Super 8s?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

danganabu wrote: »
    So we finally have you admitting that Croke Park is a home game for Dublin, not hiding behind this facade of Parnell Park? Some of your fellow jacks not going to be best pleased :D:D

Hurlers set the balance right. In last three years, we've had three "home" games from 11. Two of them in Croke Park which is certainly not an advantage to Dublin. no-one ever mentions that :(

Incidentally Dangan old chap, Tipp have had 6 of their 9 Munster, qualifier and quarter finals in Thurles over same period.

Who will stop the Tipp juggernaut? The stadium doping ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Hurlers set the balance right. In last three years, we've had three "home" games from 11. Two of them in Croke Park which is certainly not an advantage to Dublin. no-one ever mentions that :(

I have no problem at all with the footballers playing in Croker, it makes sense on pretty much every level, however the pretence from some that its not a home game and not an advantage is silly.

Incidentally Dangan old chap, Tipp have had 6 of their 9 Munster, qualifier and quarter finals in Thurles over same period.

When Waterford county board get their finger out and now we have Frank Bowl it wont take long for that to be addressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

When Waterford county board get their finger out and now we have Frank Bowl it wont take long for that to be addressed.

Only joking.

Thurles is the elephants graveyard of Dublin hurling. Can only recall us winning once there - beating Limerick in quarter finals in 2012 - in nearly 50 years! And usually hidings of enormous proportions.

Actually I think counties like playing in Thurles and CP even when Tipp and Dubs are the opponents. It is obviously a big advantage against weaker teams, but not so much at the business end of Munster or in Dublin's case in AI semis and finals.

Meath used to surrender home advantage in Navan to play in Croke Park before Leinster Council ever intervened.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TrueGael

blanch152 wrote: »
    You haven't addressed my main point. Why have Dublin done better in the League than in the Championship over the last six seasons, given they play a higher proportion of away games in the League?

Well I wouldn't say there is a huge disparity, the main difference for the League is the likes of Kerry, Donegal and in particular Mayo have their players scattered throughout the country and thus cannot hope to be in serious nick for March April (which is why Dublin hammer them really bad in the League)and have to focus on July/August which is risky as Mayo almost found to their cost a good few times last summer

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/the-biggest-obstacle-between-mayo-and-glory-their-location-424072.html

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TrueGael

That is because Cork had no stadium and Waterford went to Thurles as they preferred it to Limerick (they have a shocking record there) The qualifiers are random luck they drew Kilkenny a few years back away

Nobody has ever claimed Semple wasn't their home ground or that it wasn't a significant advantage - indeed there was a lot of criticism when Galway had to play the U21 Final against them there in 2010 and rightly so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Mushy wrote: »
    Couldnt agree more, its making me excited for the football championship more than ever id say. Having competitive games in neutral grounds will make for great encounters, look at Kerry-mayo in Limerick. Should be great atmosphere at them, the towns will be busy which will help it. Better than half empty Croker week in week out.

They won't be in neutral grounds other than CP.
    For example
    Mayo v Kerry will be in CP

Mayo v Qualifier will be in Mayo

Qualifier v Mayo will be at qualifiers venue.

Provincial champ v Provincial champ and Qualifier v Qualifier = Croke Park

Provincial champ v qualifier = home/away.

Sorry, yes, this is true. What I should have said was just having games in regional grounds will be great, neutral or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Don't know why the other 31 counties financed a neutral stadium for Dublin to play all their games in

Anyway, realistically what other 'neutral' venue will the Dubs actually be dragged to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Parnell Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

There is no such thing as neutral venue for the Dubs. We'll be loathed and despised in equal measure, regardless of what venue in the colonies we rock up to.

Personally, I'd bleedin' love Castlebar. We find it easier to win there, than in Croker. Mad 'wha? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

ProudDUB wrote: »
    There is no such thing as neutral venue for the Dubs. We'll be loathed and despised in equal measure, regardless of what venue in the colonies we rock up to.

Personally, I'd bleedin' love Castlebar. We find it easier to win there, than in Croker. Mad 'wha? :D
    How many games in the last 5 years have ye played in McHale park?

ProudDUB wrote: »
    We'll be loathed and despised in equal measure, regardless of what venue in the colonies we rock up to.

Now I wonder why that is :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

When Dublin is split into 2 who will have Croker as their home ground and who will have Parnell Park ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

The super 8s are going to be very interesting this year, I think we could see a few surprises in there 
    You have teams like Mayo who are on the slide and others are catching them in their own province which will make it harder to get directly into the super 8s
    Donegal and Tyrone are nothing special either currently but I think Tyrone will have enough to make it
    My teams to make the Super 8 are
    Dublin, Kerry, Galway, Monaghan, Tyrone, Kildare, Roscommon, Cavan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

nice_guy80 wrote: »

Dublin played Mayo in castlebar in 2015, 16 and this year and won them all. Dublin did get a big hammering there in 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I dont agree. Div 4 champions now & on a roll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Mayo seem to be "on the slide" this time every year. And yet...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

nice_guy80 wrote: »

The ones we won? ;)

km79 wrote: »
    Mayo seem to be "on the slide" this time every year. And yet...........
    They are like watching a vampire in a movie, you think they are dead and buried but you really have to drive that stake right through the heart to really get kill them, Derry Should have done it, Cork should have done it, Roscommon should have done it.  The only teams who have the sharpest stakes and know exactly where to put them are Galway and Dublin.
    and in the movies the vampire is always killed in the end after an epic fight
    So in summary this Mayo team will never win an All Ireland cause there will always be a team who just have that bit more quality and accuracy with a stake :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

kilns wrote: »
    They are like watching a vampire in a movie, you think they are dead and buried but you really have to drive that stake right through the heart to really get kill them, Derry Should have done it, Cork should have done it, Roscommon should have done it.  The only teams who have the sharpest stakes and know exactly where to put them are Galway and Dublin.
    So in summary this Mayo team will never win an All Ireland cause there will always be a team who just have that bit more quality and accuracy with a stake :D

Or maybe they're like Tom Cruise at the end in Interview With The Vampire, just when you think he's gone, he reappears, ready to go again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

They are like watching a vampire in a movie, you think they are dead and buried but you really have to drive that stake right through the heart to really get kill them, Derry Should have done it, Cork should have done it, Roscommon should have done it. The only teams who have the sharpest stakes and know exactly where to put them are Galway and Dublin.
    So in summary this Mayo team will never win an All Ireland cause there will always be a team who just have that bit more quality and accuracy with a stake :D

This is getting out of hand

Galway had a good league with an almost full squad and a new defensive system that teams like Mayo now have 8 full games worth of tape to dissect and analyse.

They failed to push on v Dublin being a man up, actually it was Dublin that pushed on.

Let’s wait till Galway get to a few finals, or even semi-final, actually let’s wait till they start winning championship games in Croke Park again before putting them in the same sentence as Dublin.

Galway had a good league with an almost full squad and a new defensive system that teams like Mayo now have 8 full games worth of tape to dissect and analyse.

They failed to push on v Dublin being a man up, actually it was Dublin that pushed on.

Let’s wait till Galway get to a few finals, or even semi-final, actually let’s wait till they start winning championship games in Croke Park again before putting them in the same sentence as Dublin.

If I was a Mayo man I would be delighted with this hyperbole about Galway, it has deflected all attention and pressure off Mayo completley, I would say that Rochford cant keep the wry smile off his face.

If I was a Mayo man I would be delighted with this hyperbole about Galway, it has deflected all attention and pressure off Mayo completley, I would say that Rochford cant keep the wry smile off his face.

I am a Mayo man and I am delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

This Galway hype is ridiculously similar to Tyrone in 2016 when they carried an extensive unbeaten record (not beating a top 3 side in that time by the way!) into the All Ireland Quarter, and were THE team to challenge Dublin apparently

Instead a fully experienced and determined Mayo made them look incredibly ordinary after all, and advanced to the semi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

jr86 wrote: »
    This Galway hype is ridiculously similar to Tyrone in 2016 when they carried an extensive unbeaten record (not beating a top 3 side in that time by the way!) into the All Ireland Quarter, and were THE team to challenge Dublin apparently

Instead a fully experienced and determined Mayo made them look incredibly ordinary after all, and advanced to the semi

Did mayo not win that game by only a point?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Think it'll be Dublin, Kerry, Galway and Tyrone and champs with 4 from Mayo, Roscommon, Tipp, Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal depending on draws. Armagh an outsider maybe as well
    Cant see any other Leinster team make it unless the losers(likely Kildare/Westmeath) get a very handy draw after getting hammered by Dublin.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Did mayo not win that game by only a point?

Perhaps but all and sundry had them down to win and as it transpired they were reduced to countless hit and hopes and turned over possession at a rate of knots when they got into the Mayo half

Mayo should have won by a lot more, but win they did

GAA journalists/supporters seem to be going above and beyond at this stage every season to find a new "challenger" to Dublin. Since Mayo lost the last few finals they're not really the fashionable choice, while Kerry haven't reached the final in a few years or ever beaten this Dublin side in Champ, so it seems to be a case of whose next

They are like watching a vampire in a movie, you think they are dead and buried but you really have to drive that stake right through the heart to really get kill them, Derry Should have done it, Cork should have done it, Roscommon should have done it.  The only teams who have the sharpest stakes and know exactly where to put them are Galway and Dublin.
    So in summary this Mayo team will never win an All Ireland cause there will always be a team who just have that bit more quality and accuracy with a stake :D

When was the last time Mayo beat Galway in a meaningful game that is the point.  Galway have the beating of Mayo.  Just like Mayo seem to have something over the Dubs and are able to compete on a par with them, despite being man for man inferior

When was the last time Mayo beat Galway in a meaningful game that is the point.  Galway have the beating of Mayo.  Just like Mayo seem to have something over the Dubs and are able to compete on a par with them, despite being man for man inferior

Describe 'meaningful' because in the case of Mayo all that matters is knock-out championship and they havent played each other in that for nearly 20 years.

• Advertisement

Describe 'meaningful' because in the case of Mayo all that matters is knock-out championship and they havent played each other in that for nearly 20 years.
    League or championship but hey my mistake I didnt realise Mayo arent bothered winning games in the league or the connaught championship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

League or championship but hey my mistake I didnt realise Mayo arent bothered winning games in the league or the connaught championship

Mayo have shown that they can overcome Connacht championship losses and perform later in the championship.

Something Galway have not done since 2001.

The league is irrevelant, different teams have different goals during the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It's nearly more enjoyable to lose early, listen to all the grief and then watch Galway or the Rossies blow the beans in Croke Park while we pass them by with a wry smile, a shake of the head and on into August.

We're definitely less bothered. Almost Kerryish in our dismissal of early season defeats these days!

It doesnt matter how well Galway do in the championship, its the fact that this current Galway team has the beating of Mayo, Mayo may well be a better team than Galway but when they come up against Galway they hit a roadblock and just cant beat them
    Its the same scenario with Dublin and Mayo, on paper Dublin should beat Mayo easily but they dont and mostly Mayo are their equal in games
    The point being if Mayo cant get over beating Galway they will find it very hard to get into the super 8's considering they rode their luck in most of the qualifier games last year.  If Mayo dont reach the super 8's this year it could see the end of this great Mayo team

You know exactly what I mean, but hey you kid yourself that Galway have the better of Mayo all you like, if it wasnt so deluded it would be hilarious.

Look at both teams record over the last five years ;

Mayo - 3 finals and 2 semi finals, only beaten all 5 years by the eventual champions.

Galway - 3 QFs and two defeats in the qualifiers, 4 of the five teams that beat them were beaten next game and only once were they defeated by the eventual winners.

In fact in three of those years the team that knocked Galway out were subsequently beaten by Mayo that year.

How in the name of god this is even up for debate is beyond all logical reasoning :rolleyes:

You know exactly what I mean, but hey you kid yourself that Galway have the better of Mayo all you like, if it wasnt so deluded it would be hilarious.

Look at both teams record over the last five years ;

Mayo -  3 finals and 2 semi finals, only beaten all 5 years by the eventual champions.

Galway - 3 QFs and two defeats in the qualifiers, 4 of the five teams that beat them were beaten next game and only once were they defeated by the eventual winners.

In fact in three of those years the team that knocked Galway out were subsequently beaten by Mayo that year.

How in the name of god this is even up for debate is beyond all logical reasoning :rolleyes:
    As i have explained previously it has nothing to do with how far both teams go in the championship its just a Galway Mayo head to head thing and Galway have come out on top for one reason or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It doesnt matter how well Galway do in the championship, its the fact that this current Galway team has the beating of Mayo, Mayo may well be a better team than Galway but when they come up against Galway they hit a roadblock and just cant beat them
    Its the same scenario with Dublin and Mayo, on paper Dublin should beat Mayo easily but they dont and mostly Mayo are their equal in games
    The point being if Mayo cant get over beating Galway they will find it very hard to get into the super 8's considering they rode their luck in most of the qualifier games last year.  If Mayo dont reach the super 8's this year it could see the end of this great Mayo team

That's harsh, we would have beaten them last year if they didn't Crokeparkitis against Kerry. We have no mental block about beating Galway. We're just getting used to them putting up a challenge again...

I would have them favourites in May. They're in form and it's not in Croke Park... even worse for us, we're at Home.

yes and its so important for Mayo to win this game as they will reach the Super 8s by winning Connaught that way (they have the edge on Roscommon)

• Advertisement

As i have explained previously it has nothing to do with how far both teams go in the championship its just a Galway Mayo head to head thing and Galway have come out on top for one reason or another.

And the reason as I have explained is priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

PARlance wrote:
    We're definitely less bothered. Almost Kerryish in our dismissal of early season defeats these days!

Kerry won All Irelands. What exactly have Mayo won at any age group in the last two years? You might laugh as you progress further than teams in Connacht but I think the laughing has stopped come the big day.

Kerry won All Irelands. What exactly have Mayo won at any age group in the last two years?

Under 21 2016

Next question? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Might as well throw my prediction in,not with any great certainty
    CERTS:Dublin,Kerry,Tyrone
    POSSIBILITIES:Tip,Donegal,Rossies ,Galway,Mayo,Cavan,Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

jr86 wrote:
    Under 21 2016

jr86 wrote:
    Next question?

😂 fair enough. I'll ask the same question again in 26 days. Point stands. Silverware at any level in Mayo is beginning to dry up.

�� fair enough. I'll ask the same question again in 26 days. Point stands. Silverware at any level in Mayo is beginning to dry up.

Yea since there minor win in 2013, u21 win in 2016, it's beginning to dry up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Tellyium

And the reason as I have explained is priorities.

Nope. Mayos priority has always been to win Connacht with as little energy expended as possible, aiming to peak in August/Sept. worked well for 5 years when the rest of Connacht was ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

From what i seen its the same defensive system that held Mayo to low scores in 2016,2017 in the championship but they have some better individual defenders now.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LoveMeSexy

I'm fairly sure the poster was making the point that Galway have had the upper hand on Mayo in head to head encounters in recent matchups, which is clearly true. Nobody would argue that Galway have more successful overall in recent times.
    In terms of the "new" defensive system, Mayo had the chance this year in the league and last year in the championship (after they were "caught on the hop by Galway the year before") to figure out the defensive system but they didn't. That being said it could go either way in May, no sane person is writing Mayo off or getting carried away with the Galway hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Tellyium

Not sure who will make the super 8s, but they’ve already had a positive influence based on the change in attitude towards the earlier rounds. The Galway Mayo build up is tetchy, spiky and nervy (and that’s just the supporters!) Almost like the days before the back door. Great to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Mayo have shown that they can overcome Connacht championship losses and perform later in the championship.

Something Galway have not done since 2001.

The league is irrevelant, different teams have different goals during the league.

Mayo have not shown that they can overcome Connacht championship losses and still win the All-Ireland. Performing later in the championship doesn't win any medals.

It is quite bizarre to see Mayo supporters suggesting losses in the League and Championship to Galway don't matter when Mayo haven't won any national title in decades.

• Advertisement
Advertisement