Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's Happening Here? (Sleep Question)

• 02-04-2018 8:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,017 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I was hoping you might be able to shed some light on what our 10 month old lady is up to. She's always been a good sleeper but recently has started turning onto her right side at night and at an extreme position. A little bit of background:

She came out with a strong preference for her left and has a touch of low muscle tone. We've been working to balance out the left issue by playing with her to her right, sitting on her right etc. Then she's been getting physio for the low muscle tone and that's going well. She can roll when she wants to, easily enough but it's not a daily thing.

I've no idea why she's started turning to her side and in an extreme manner.... It's almost like she's arching. I was watching her last night and wonder if she's trying to roll onto her stomach and the sleeping bag is holding her back?

I've attached an image from the net which is pretty much what our 10 month old is doing.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I don't know, fairly sure I've seen my pair sleep like that.Not sure what it's about but once they are happy and asleep, I leave them to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,327 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

shesty wrote: »
    I don't know, fairly sure I've seen my pair sleep like that.Not sure what it's about but once they are happy and asleep, I leave them to it.

I'd echo this it's not an uncommon scene and once they are asleep that's the main thing !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,017 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

She's been ok sleeping like that.... not completely happy and we've put her back flat on her back a few times. The reason for posting this morning is that she didn't sleep at all well last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Mine sleeps in the strangest positions, including that one. The newest thing is her sleeping somehow twisted on her tummy with her knees under the tummy, sticking her bum in the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Some babys seem to sleep in exorcist style positions. Suopose whatever they find most comfortable.

Edit: if your worried about her kicking off yhe sheets in these new positions, try a grow bag.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement

Some babys seem to sleep in exorcist style positions. Suopose whatever they find most comfortable.

Edit: if your worried about her kicking off yhe sheets in these new positions, try a grow bag.

She's been using a bag since moving to the cot from the moses basket. I think it's hampering her moving around so I might try a blanket instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

My boy slept like that every night at around that age for a few months. It made me laugh as it looks so uncomfortable, but he seemed happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Both my kids slept on their sides from a young age ( with a sleep positioner) . They slept much better like that. At your babies age they get much more mobile and start doing mad stuff in their sleep! She could have been comfy but them got a dead arm or something disturbing her sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Once they’re asleep they’re comfortable enough and I wouldn’t change anything! Our daughter sleeps with her head smushed into the headboard of her toddler bed and to me that looks so uncomfortable but she is comfy and gives out if we move her

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

Hi Folks,

I was hoping you might be able to shed some light on what our 10 month old lady is up to. She's always been a good sleeper but recently has started turning onto her right side at night and at an extreme position. A little bit of background:

She came out with a strong preference for her left and has a touch of low muscle tone. We've been working to balance out the left issue by playing with her to her right, sitting on her right etc. Then she's been getting physio for the low muscle tone and that's going well. She can roll when she wants to, easily enough but it's not a daily thing.

I've no idea why she's started turning to her side and in an extreme manner.... It's almost like she's arching. I was watching her last night and wonder if she's trying to roll onto her stomach and the sleeping bag is holding her back?

I've attached an image from the net which is pretty much what our 10 month old is doing.

Mine sleep like that a lot, I like to imagine they fell asleep mid power ballad ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Mine sleeps like that sometimes. She could be in any position in any part of the cot but we leave her be as long as she's asleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭appledrop

LirW wrote: »
    Mine sleeps in the strangest positions, including that one. The newest thing is her sleeping somehow twisted on her tummy with her knees under the tummy, sticking her bum in the air.

My little boy was always sleeping like this when he was around this age. My parents were minding him one night + thought it was hilliarous!

I honestly wouldn't worry. I always put him on his back going to sleep but as they get older they pick their own sleeping position.

Many thanks for all the replies folks. We bought a sleep suit not long after positing the thread and it's made quite the difference. She's able to get properly on her side much more easily and doesn't have the head extended back as far. I've watched her on camera and she moves from back to side and back again during the course of the night. She's much more mobile in the cot- the bag was definitely holding her back.

One question though, I'm thinking that her new found mobility is interfering with her sleep. Whereas in the past when she was on her back she slept really really well, a few times now she's woken up sleepy. Did anyone else experience the same with their little ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

as they get older they do seem to trash about more and wake themselves up, there is not much you can do about it. a sleep suit or grow bag will keep them warm if they kick off the covers.
    all ours did different weird things in the night. the present littlest one (2.5yrs) jumps up onto his feet and falls face first down the bed. i think he is awake when he jumps up, then falls back asleep and fall forward, its hard to tell.
    on a few occasions he has been in our bed when he has done this. if he lands on you you know all about it. he never wakes up though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Totally normal.As they learn new skills, they wake themselves, particularly when standing and walking starts.They start practising those skills at all sorts of odd hours!!I think I said elsewhere that I would expect a baby to stir or wake almost every night til at least 14 months, often multiple times a night.......
    Apparently that thing of sleeping on their front with their bum in the air aids their digestion, although I really can't see how!!!

Advertisement