Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long do runners really last?

Options
  • 02-04-2018 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how many miles people tend to wear their runners for? Garmin Connect seems to put a limit of 400 miles when I add new runners but to be honest my runners seems fairly perfect. Obviously there are people heavier on shoes than others but is it obvious when the shock absorption is gone?

I have a few pairs that I alternate and one of those pairs has done three marathons so just wondering. I keep them for short distances and the newer ones for long runs. When should I retire a pair altogether though?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

I was thinking the same the other day. I have ran in Hoka Clifton 4's for the last while and was thinking of getting a new pair, maybe the Hoka Napali as they are lighter and cheaper, I currently do circa 60k a week. I was looking at the sole of the Clifton 4 and there is not much damage, then calculated that I have done 1000k+ in them without really noticing. I do some 5/10k's in my Adidas Tempo 8 too so do mix it up depending on distance.

For me it's really the mid-sole that I notice going first regardless how the outer sole is holding up. I noticed it only a month back with my Clifton, I have procrastinated on which shoes to get next since and I am still using them. I think it depends on the shoe, the weight of the runner and terrain you are running, I'm relatively light at 71kg so my story may be different then someone who is heavier running trails etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

For the last 10 years every single pair of runners I've had have been kept in use for 1000-1300 miles.

I'm fairly sure that the 400 mile limit is solely for the benefits of the shoe making industry. Runners do not wear out that quickly, and my (lack of) injury history discredits the claim that wearing your shoes for so many miles will lead to injury.

Admittedly, I weigh less than most (10 st 5 - give or take a couple of pounds), and if you're significantly heavier then maybe you should indeed change them more often. However, automatically throwing runners out after 40 miles is almost certainly a complete wast of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Thanks for the replies. I wore the pair today that I’ve worn most of last year and they certainly don’t feel any different yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Really depends on the runner (both the shoe and the individual) and in particular the mid-sole, I have some neutral mid weight everyday runners, Adidas Boston 5, Puma Faas 300, Pearl Izumi N1 and they all feel like they could last forever. I do rotate quite a bit and this can extend the life, but I feel like they are dead or the outer sole is showing excessive signs of wear they get moved to easy runs on grass or gardening leave.

Shoes purchased for racing are a different story, some last 100 and I've had some last 500+ miles (Saucony A6), this usually end up in treadmill rotation before getting binned.

Best advice is to be in tune with the feedback you are getting from the shoes, have a new pair on the go and if you spot a significant difference in performance or a few unexpected niggles move them out.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

Best advice is to be in tune with the feedback you are getting from the shoes, have a new pair on the go and if you spot a significant difference in performance or a few unexpected niggles move them out.

Thanks - makes sense. It’s my Sauconys that seem to be lasting no bother too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

I have also wondered how long we should use them. I have pair of Mizuno's that i currently run in have 400 miles on them and i also have a brand new pair of the same shoe. What i do notice when i compare them is the midsole U4ic & U4icx foam has compressed a bit and the sole has a small bit of wear. So i think it is more down to the loss of bounce/cushioning that would force me to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Jfrost

If they feel fine run in them..... But have something similar on standby.... Your feet will adapt to the wear too, so just occasionally try the standby runners.... I was running Ultras and Marathons (and will be again in the future), one particular pair had close to 2000km on them from both road and trail... Although I bought a pair for trail I was so comfy in this particular pair that they are still in their box.
    Mid sole wear and grip depth on heal or around the toe depending on running style Reidy good indicators

different materials used for the cushioning definitely "go dead" at different mileage.
    if your legs and/or knees start to be sore after a run I would usually see that as a sign to think about changing.

both the adidas boost and the new nike react material are supposed to be longer-lasting than the average.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

As everyone has mentioned and I'll add my own support - this varies wildly from person to person and shoe to shoe. Years ago I ran in Asics (stability) - lucky to get 500K from a pair! Nikes - 800K easy, back to Asics (neutral) - 800, now in Saucony and got over 1000K on my last pair. The guy at the shoe store when I bought my first pair of Saucony said his would last him 1000M, where I only get 1000km from a very similar pair of shoes. It's down to your running style (which does change over time), the shoe, the surface you're running on, and a host of other influences.

What I've found is that your body will have a 'tell' to let you know that your shoes are subtly changing (less support where you need it, etc) - for me it's a sudden niggle in my knees, so you will need to figure out your own tell through time and experience, and keep track of your mileage on each pair of shoes (very important!), and you'll quickly figure out how long that particular brand and model lasts for YOU - then when you're about 70% through your own standard mileage for that pair, make sure you have a replacement on hand, sometimes shoes will last longer than expected, sometimes less, but one thing that I have found to be consistent: when they go, they go quickly - could be fine today, and head out tomorrow and dead...

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

I probably have 400 miles done in my current ascics in a few months of training for DCM. I think the model was the 2000. The back of the heels are gone smooth and the forward half of the sole is starting to smooth out. I am 6'4" and 93kg plus doing a good bit of training on hilly roads so that could be accelerating things.

Unusual question, maybe better to ask in the shop but I'll try here.

My right foot is bigger than my left, probably just over half a size in it. I have noticed the left runner is starting to get a whole over the top of the big toe, this happened suddenly after a 16mile run on very hilly terrain which nearly killed my legs so may have changed how I was hitting the ground. Its not that the toe is coming out the front now its the top as you look down on it. I presume this is because my left foot is smaller and technically the shoe is too big.

When replacing the shoes would you be tempted to buy the smaller size and hope the right one stretches enough not to be sore or stick with having the left one slightly too big? Should we expect running shoes to stretch that much? I presume I should be buying a new pair soon so as to break them in in rotation with the old pair and not switch straight over?

• Advertisement

Would you wear a thicker sock on your left foot? No way would I risk long runs in a shoe slightly too small. I can’t imagine they’d stretch enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

I probably have 400 miles done in my current ascics in a few months of training for DCM. I think the model was the 2000. The back of the heels are gone smooth and the forward half of the sole is starting to smooth out. I am 6'4" and 93kg plus doing a good bit of training on hilly roads so that could be accelerating things.

Unusual question, maybe better to ask in the shop but I'll try here.

My right foot is bigger than my left, probably just over half a size in it. I have noticed the left runner is starting to get a whole over the top of the big toe, this happened suddenly after a 16mile run on very hilly terrain which nearly killed my legs so may have changed how I was hitting the ground. Its not that the toe is coming out the front now its the top as you look down on it. I presume this is because my left foot is smaller and technically the shoe is too big.

When replacing the shoes would you be tempted to buy the smaller size and hope the right one stretches enough not to be sore or stick with having the left one slightly too big? Should we expect running shoes to stretch that much? I presume I should be buying a new pair soon so as to break them in in rotation with the old pair and not switch straight over?

I would definitely go with slightly too big over too small :eek: I have a difference too, i wear size 6 in normal shoes, in runners i wear 6.5 and on my last purchase the shop assistant advised me towards a 6.5 in a shoe with a slightly wider toebox to allow for the larger foot, he didn't feel it justified going up a half size but of the 3 pairs we narrowed it down to based on my gait, he felt the shoe the larger toebox (Mizuno in this case) with was a better fit for the larger foot.

To answer the original OP. The same shop assistant also advised me to wear my old shoes a day after wearing a new pair and i'd quickly notice the difference if they are dead. I'm currently rotating a pair of Addidas Supernova with 500m, Brooks Glycerin with about 800m and i've 2 spanking new pairs :)

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Would you wear a thicker sock on your left foot? No way would I risk long runs in a shoe slightly too small. I can’t imagine they’d stretch enough.
    ariana` wrote: »
    I would definitely go with slightly too big over too small :eek: I have a difference too, i wear size 6 in normal shoes, in runners i wear 6.5 and on my last purchase the shop assistant advised me towards a 6.5 in a shoe with a slightly wider toebox to allow for the larger foot, he didn't feel it justified going up a half size but of the 3 pairs we narrowed it down to based on my gait, he felt the shoe the larger toebox (Mizuno in this case) with was a better fit for the larger foot.

To answer the original OP. The same shop assistant also advised me to wear my old shoes a day after wearing a new pair and i'd quickly notice the difference if they are dead. I'm currently rotating a pair of Addidas Supernova with 500m, Brooks Glycerin with about 800m and i've 2 spanking new pairs :)

Thank you both for your replies. In fairness I haven't had any issues with discomfort from wearing the left one slightly too big so I'll take your advice and stick with it that way rather than having the left fit and right too small. Wearing the 1000mile double soled socks and would be paranoid to wear a different sock on one foot as I find the 1000mile fantastic. Time to order a new pair of runners and start rotating. Thanks again!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Agree with TFB about the industry, reminds me a little of my dentist who I felt was going a bit hard sell sometimes. I too have been injury free. I certainly see wear and tear in mine over time and it's interesting how the wear pattern is more pronounced in some areas. Anyway, a while ago I did a Youtube trawl on 'when to replace your runners', etc. This is the video I was most happy with, thought the shorter clips weren't great. As you'll see, she quickly dismisses a mileage bracket as a default guide.

Thank you both for your replies. In fairness I haven't had any issues with discomfort from wearing the left one slightly too big so I'll take your advice and stick with it that way rather than having the left fit and right too small. Wearing the 1000mile double soled socks and would be paranoid to wear a different sock on one foot as I find the 1000mile fantastic. Time to order a new pair of runners and start rotating. Thanks again!

I used wear those socks too but have actually switched to the monoskin version of them and finding them brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I find when you're rotating your shoes they last longer. Again like most said here already it depends on the shoes and what surfaces you are running on. Some shoes I've only got 400km others 1000km plus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Revamping the running fleet at the moment and I think I've gotten 600+ miles out of most pairs - I do run a lot on grass though, maybe that prolongs the life a little.

I think it depends a lot on the model though, I've a pair of NB that have no real visible signs of wear and tear on the outside but have definitely lost a little bounce over the last month or so - I've a pair of Adidas Supernova that must have over 1000 miles on them at this stage, the sole is wearing thin but they still feel pretty good to run in

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Me

459185.PNG

Agree with TFB about the industry, reminds me a little of my dentist who I felt was going a bit hard sell sometimes. I too have been injury free. I certainly see wear and tear in mine over time and it's interesting how the wear pattern is more pronounced in some areas. Anyway, a while ago I did a Youtube trawl on 'when to replace your runners', etc. This is the video I was most happy with, thought the shorter clips weren't great. As you'll see, she quickly dismisses a mileage bracket as a default guide.

Really useful thanks!

Advertisement