Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Tralee from Dublin

Options
  • 02-04-2018 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi there. My husband, 2 kids and I are currently thinking of moving out of Dublin. My husband is from Tralee. Has anyone made a similar move? What are the pitfalls?

I am a teacher (secondary) and he is an engineer. He will still work remotely for the same company. I will be looking for work.

We would love a small house on a half an acre to grow veg and teach our children the value of nature etc. We would like to look at sustainable living or at least going towards it.

Are we mad? Any advice would be great.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 theniamh1

I'd like to see what people think also! Myself and my partner are thinking of moving from Galway to Tralee, he is from Kerry. I'm from Galway! We have a baby on the way.
    I'm here thinking are we mad to move???

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Joniamhsean

Are you in Dublin currently? Or Galway? I love what appears to be a great lifestyle in Tralee but I suppose, I have the fear!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 theniamh1

We are in Galway. I've mini fear too! We are going down next week to view a house we like! I'm just going to spend as much time as I can there checking the place out! It might put my mind at ease!

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

SIRO Broadband in certain areas in Tralee (if it's a consideration)

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

Engineer (in Construction or Telecoms ?)

• Advertisement

theniamh1 wrote: »
    We are in Galway. I've mini fear too! We are going down next week to view a house we like! I'm just going to spend as much time as I can there checking the place out! It might put my mind at ease!

Oh how exciting! Good luck with viewing. Such lovely houses at affordable prices too. Mind you compared to Dublin everywhere seems cheap. There really is lovely things to do and places to visit. Mind you Galway is fab too. Are you in the city?

amadain wrote: »
    Engineer (in Construction or Telecoms ?)

Didnt realise boardband was so bad. Thanks for the heads up. Hubby is a civil engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Moved from Galway (working in city living in Athenry) to Kerry over a decade ago.

First child was on the way at the time.

Did not move to Tralee as such but bought in mid Kerry, about 20 mins drive to Tralee.
    Worked in Tralee for the first 6 years down here.

Overall I think it was a good move, we are well settled now with 4 kids, but at the same time I'm sure our life in Galway would have been great too.

Tralee is a big town, as big as a town can be without being a city and it has all the amenities and issues that go with a town of its size.

Personally I would never even consider living there, far better smaller communities around Kerry within striking distance of both Tralee and Killarney.

The one drawback about here compared to Galway or Dublin is that there is a much smaller jobs market, espically for professionals in the likes of IT and engineering.

I noticed that when I became unemployed. There are a lot of people in Kerry communting to Limerick and Cork (and beyond) every day.

Moved from Galway (working in city living in Athenry) to Kerry over a decade ago.

First child was on the way at the time.

Did not move to Tralee as such but bought in mid Kerry, about 20 mins drive to Tralee.
    Worked in Tralee for the first 6 years down here.

Overall I think it was a good move, we are well settled now with 4 kids, but at the same time I'm sure our life in Galway would have been great too.

Tralee is a big town, as big as a town can be without being a city and it has all the amenities and issues that go with a town of its size.

Personally I would never even consider living there, far better smaller communities around Kerry within striking distance of both Tralee and Killarney.

The one drawback about here compared to Galway or Dublin is that there is a much smaller jobs market, espically for professionals in the likes of IT and engineering.

I noticed that when I became unemployed. There are a lot of people in Kerry communting to Limerick and Cork (and beyond) every day.

Thank you for your detailed reply. I can understand the jobs market is smaller and commuting must be a drain on most people. I wonder is there something in particular that puts you off Tralee? Or is it just being a part of a smaller community you prefer.

Must have a look at some of the places outside of the town. Dont really fancy complete countryside but maybe one of the smaller towns or villages might suit us.

Thanks again.

Thank you for your detailed reply. I can understand the jobs market is smaller and commuting must be a drain on most people. I wonder is there something in particular that puts you off Tralee? Or is it just being a part of a smaller community you prefer.

Must have a look at some of the places outside of the town. Dont really fancy complete countryside but maybe one of the smaller towns or villages might suit us.

Thanks again.

My own personal opinion is that Tralee is a bit of a dump.

Go down to the town center (The Mall) any day and it’s usually full of skangers and the like.

See this recent news piece about bleach being thrown on the slide in the playground.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/kerry-gardai-investigating-childrens-slide-covered-in-bleach-829972.html

I think there are many far better places to live in Kerry within reach of Tralee, but your husband is from there and would obviously would be a better sounding board regarding the town than myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

My own personal opinion is that Tralee is a bit of a dump.

Go down to the town center (The Mall) any day and it’s usually full of skangers and the like.

See this recent news piece about bleach being thrown on the slide in the playground.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/kerry-gardai-investigating-childrens-slide-covered-in-bleach-829972.html

I think there are many far better places to live in Kerry within reach of Tralee, but your husband is from there and would obviously would be a better sounding board regarding the town than myself.

Bit harsh! Tralee isn’t a dump, there’s a bad element in every town. It’s not fair to call it a dump with one isolated incident, caused by one individual. There’s ‘skangers’ in every town!

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Bit harsh! Tralee isn’t a dump, there’s a bad element in every town. It’s not fair to call it a dump with one isolated incident, caused by one individual. There’s ‘skangers’ in every town!

Oh I know that, and as I said the OPs husband would be in a much better position to comment on Tralee seeing as he is from there.

But as I said it's my own personal opinion that it's a dump and I'd personally never live there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Oh I know that, and as I said the OPs husband would be in a much better position to comment on Tralee seeing as he is from there.

But as I said it's my own personal opinion that it's a dump and I'd personally never live there.

Good for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I was only down there last weekend. Town is improving over the years.
    Yes, it has a bad element but so does everywhere.
    There are some nice houses in the town at good prices compared to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Hi there. My husband, 2 kids and I are currently thinking of moving out of Dublin. My husband is from Tralee. Has anyone made a similar move? What are the pitfalls?

I am a teacher (secondary) and he is an engineer. He will still work remotely for the same company. I will be looking for work.

We would love a small house on a half an acre to grow veg and teach our children the value of nature etc. We would like to look at sustainable living or at least going towards it.

Thanks

As the man from Nike said, "Just do it".

What have you got to lose?

And look at all the advantages for you, your husband and the kids.

Take the chance and go for it, if you are confident that it will improve your quality of life now, in about five years time you will only be regretting why ye didn't do it sooner.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Thanks

You're not mad! I am biased as I am from Tralee & live here, but I haven't always lived here. I lived in Dublin for a few years and met my now husband there. He's from the UK, but he wanted to move back to Kerry with me and he loves living here. I wouldn't want to bring up my little boy in Dublin, I much prefer living back home.
    I have a few friends from here who have been living in Dublin for many years now, and 2 of them have moved back with their family in the past year and are so glad they did. My other friend would love to, but just can't for work & other reasons.

You don't have to live in Tralee town, there are plenty of lovely areas in the outskirts of town. I would love to move a bit further out, especially to the Spa or even Ballyard, but can't for now (need our house to increase in value a bit more to be able to afford to move!). There are good schools in Tralee, but equally good schools outside of the town too.

Have you a timeframe that you need to move or have you time to suss it all out and figure out where to move to?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

Thanks

My wife and i made this very move 30 years ago.Definitely best move we made as we had also lived elsewhere in ireland as well as other countries.Through my work i know Tralee very well and would not hesitate to recommend it as a great place to live.We have raised our family[3]in Tralee,turned out to be fine adults now.Neither of us is originally from Tralee however we both now call Tralee home.You will find good infrastructure ,schools public and private,healthcare public and private ,housing at reasonable prices and a road network which works.You will find a town full of unselfish volunteers from all sporting clubs to litter pickers to all the charity workers.These volunteers help clean the town as well as paint buildings etc.You will also find a small minority of pessimists who can only find something to moan about and get publicity for same.One bad deed gets publicity while 100 good deeds get none.However the best aspect of Tralee,like all places on earth,is its people-open, welcoming,and with big hearts. Welcome to Tralee

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

While there are many lovely areas a short distance from Tralee (indeed one of the best things about Tralee is it's so well located for accessing many of the scenic hotspots in the county and being a few minutes from the Atlantic), the biggest issue I would have with moving outside of town is on then being utterly car-dependant for doing anything or going anywhere.

If I were a teenager, the last thing I'd want is to be completely dependant on my parents for taking me places and collecting me. Then again, parents might welcome the extra element of control that'd give them! :D

Thank you to everyone for their words of encouragement and advise. We are watching daft for any house that might suit us.

Does anyone know anything about the kerries as an area?

theniamh1 wrote: »

How did the house viewing go?

• Advertisement

You're not mad! I am biased as I am from Tralee & live here, but I haven't always lived here. I lived in Dublin for a few years and met my now husband there. He's from the UK, but he wanted to move back to Kerry with me and he loves living here. I wouldn't want to bring up my little boy in Dublin, I much prefer living back home.
    I have a few friends from here who have been living in Dublin for many years now, and 2 of them have moved back with their family in the past year and are so glad they did. My other friend would love to, but just can't for work & other reasons.

You don't have to live in Tralee town, there are plenty of lovely areas in the outskirts of town. I would love to move a bit further out, especially to the Spa or even Ballyard, but can't for now (need our house to increase in value a bit more to be able to afford to move!). There are good schools in Tralee, but equally good schools outside of the town too.

Have you a timeframe that you need to move or have you time to suss it all out and figure out where to move to?

Thank you for your reply. Its great to hear that other people have taken the plunge too. We dont have a time frame really but with school for children etc I suppose summer is a good time. I know the town fairly well but need to look at houses. The kerries looks lovely but i am not sure. Also hoping the kids will go to the gael scoil so have to bare that in mind.

Thank you for your reply. Its great to hear that other people have taken the plunge too. We dont have a time frame really but with school for children etc I suppose summer is a good time. I know the town fairly well but need to look at houses. The kerries looks lovely but i am not sure. Also hoping the kids will go to the gael scoil so have to bare that in mind.

I went to the Gaelscoil (loonnng time ago!) I loved it. I’m still friends with school friends i started with there! I am hoping to send my little boy there too (he’s not 2 yet, but will need to get his name down soon). The Kerries is a nice place to live.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Thank you to everyone for their words of encouragement and advise. We are watching daft for any house that might suit us.

Does anyone know anything about the kerries as an area?

Lovely area, close to town and the sea. Just be warned, there are plans for the Tralee Western Relief Road to run through the Kerries in the next decade or so. Would be prudent to familiarise yourself with the proposed route in case it has an impact on any specific house you're looking at in the area.

The current road through the Kerries is a bit of a rat-run. Rather narrow and windy and quite busy with traffic so not very safe for cycling on IMO if that's a consideration. You'd be confined to having to use your car to go everywhere, at least until the relief road is constructed.

I went to the Gaelscoil (loonnng time ago!) I loved it. I’m still friends with school friends i started with there! I am hoping to send my little boy there too (he’s not 2 yet, but will need to get his name down soon). The Kerries is a nice place to live.

Great to hear you were so happy in the Gaelscoil that you would send your little boy there too.

Like the look of the kerries so might go and see those houses.

Thanks a mill for your reply

Great to hear you were so happy in the Gaelscoil that you would send your little boy there too.

Like the look of the kerries so might go and see those houses.

Thanks a mill for your reply
    As a Dubliner, the Kerrie's is a nice spot but bear in mind quaksters advice

Quackster wrote: »
    Lovely area, close to town and the sea. Just be warned, there are plans for the Tralee Western Relief Road to run through the Kerries in the next decade or so. Would be prudent to familiarise yourself with the proposed route in case it has an impact on any specific house you're looking at in the area.

The current road through the Kerries is a bit of a rat-run. Rather narrow and windy and quite busy with traffic so not very safe for cycling on IMO if that's a consideration. You'd be confined to having to use your car to go everywhere, at least until the relief road is constructed.

Thank you for that wise suggestion. Wasnt aware of the new road. So glad you pointed that out to me.
    Also the being in the car side of things is unappealing. Have a vision of being more active and walking and cycling everywhere. So its another consideration.

As a Dubliner, the Kerrie's is a nice spot but bear in mind quaksters advice

What area would you reccomend? Thanks for the reply btw!

The house prices vary so much and as you say, as a Dub, its hard to imagine why when everywhere looks lovely!!!

The house prices vary so much and as you say, as a Dub, its hard to imagine why when everywhere looks lovely!!!

It really depends on what your tick list is and your budget. I'm still in Dublin but have good friends in Kerry and am down frequently.

Thank you for that wise suggestion. Wasnt aware of the new road. So glad you pointed that out to me.
    Also the being in the car side of things is unappealing. Have a vision of being more active and walking and cycling everywhere. So its another consideration.

I wasn’t aware of a new road planned either! There’s so many nice areas on the outskirts of town that you have your pick!

• Advertisement

Have you made any decisions yet on location?

Advertisement