Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Tralee from Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 theniamh1

How did the house viewing go?

Didn't end up going to that viewing but ended up buying!! We hopefully will be moving to Firies. Well still in the process but nearly there!! Sorry for the delay in replying baby brain has took over!!

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

theniamh1 wrote: »
    Didn't end up going to that viewing but ended up buying!! We hopefully will be moving to Firies. Well still in the process but nearly there!! Sorry for the delay in replying baby brain has took over!!
    My god, one pub, one shop and one chip van. Fair play to you for taking the plunge. At least the airport and train station is not far from you. The biggest plus will be the scenery and the country lifestyle. The biggest minus will be the rainy weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 theniamh1

James 007 wrote: »
    My god, one pub, one shop and one chip van. Fair play to you for taking the plunge. At least the airport and train station is not far from you. The biggest plus will be the scenery and the country lifestyle. The biggest minus will be the rainy weather.

Not too much of a culture shock im originally from a place with no shop or pub!! 😂 I can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Congratulations Girl!

It will without one shadow of a doubt be the best decision ye have made as a family.

I'm absolutely delighted for ye, well done!

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Congratulations! Great news. Hope you are all really happy here in Kerry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

James 007 wrote: »
    Don't forget the undertakers:)
    Passed through a few weeks ago and the queue to view the body was the length of the street!

It's a nice spot though. Only 30 minutes to Inch.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭kaykay27

Hi guys

I’m also in the position of considering moving to tralee from Dublin but the only concern I have is jobs...my husband and I are both in financial services (insurance particularly) and was wondering what the market is like for financial services jobs? Do most people commute to limerick and cork? Any insight appreciated.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

kaykay27 wrote: »
    Hi guys

I’m also in the position of considering moving to tralee from Dublin but the only concern I have is jobs...my husband and I are both in financial services (insurance particularly) and was wondering what the market is like for financial services jobs? Do most people commute to limerick and cork? Any insight appreciated.

People would commute alright. Limerick is only 60km away from Tralee and I’d say a lot of people do commute there. A friend of mine commutes from Limerick to Tralee every day to work in the college.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    People would commute alright. Limerick is only 60km away from Tralee and I’d say a lot of people do commute there. A friend of mine commutes from Limerick to Tralee every day to work in the college.

Isn't more like 100km and a bitch of a road? Through Adare, Newcastlewest etc. Sounds daily torture.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

road_high wrote: »
    Isn't more like 100km and a bitch of a road? Through Adare, Newcastlewest etc. Sounds daily torture.

Yep. Until at least Adare is bypassed, it's not something I'd countenance. My sanity is much too important to me!

And Cork would be even worse. When Macroom-Ballyvorney is bypassed in a few years time, Killarney will be under an hour away from Cork and that would be my personal limit if I were considering commuting.

• Advertisement

A friend is living on the abbeyfeale side of tralee. just near the devils bit view and commutes to limerick daily. Hes on the tralee side of limerick.

the alternative if in tralee is to go the coast road via tarbert. its better than newcastlewest/adare.

Quackster wrote: »
    Yep. Until at least Adare is bypassed, it's not something I'd countenance. My sanity is much too important to me!

And Cork would be even worse. When Macroom-Ballyvorney is bypassed in a few years time, Killarney will be under an hour away from Cork and that would be my personal limit if I were considering commuting.

Its possible to bypass adare !! Not a great road but its better than sitting in traffic

Not forgetting abbeyfeale....is the train an option do
    You think?

Quackster wrote: »

Commuting to cork from tralee...would the train be the way to go?

Commuting to cork from tralee...would the train be the way to go?

Would you not have to change in mallow?

Would you not have to change in mallow?

It looks like that! Really trying to make this move work but our jobs are a massive stickler....oh to have a remote based role

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Don't forget the undertakers:)
    Passed through a few weeks ago and the queue to view the body was the length of the street!

It's a nice spot though. Only 30 minutes to Inch.

Yes, forgot them, they are really based in Castlemaine, next town over. Its nice, but hell very quiet for my liking. At least you know where to go when you move on.

We'd move down to Kerry in a heartbeat if possible. Have a lot of friends in Ballymac

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Joniamhsean

Have you made any decisions yet on location?

Hi again. No decision made on location yet. Saw a couple of houses on the listowel road that look close enough to town but still with room for a veg patch. Down in a couple of weeks hoping to view them then. Mind you the Estate Agents are telling me everything is selling like hot cakes. Maybe thats true or they hear the mention of Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Joniamhsean

Omg well done to you managing to buy with baby brain and all!! I will be dying to hear how you get on. Good luck with the buying and moving.

• Advertisement

Hi again. No decision made on location yet. Saw a couple of houses on the listowel road that look close enough to town but still with room for a veg patch. Down in a couple of weeks hoping to view them then. Mind you the Estate Agents are telling me everything is selling like hot cakes. Maybe thats true or they hear the mention of Dublin!

Things are selling pretty quick in Tralee. Might be to do with the prices being pretty good still. I’ve been keeping an eye on property as we would like to sell up and just checking what we would be able to buy. Unfortunately everything I seem to like on paper is going to be over our budget. Our house is barely out of negative equity, so we might be stuck where we are for another while. I’ve noticed on estate agents Facebook pages that a lot of places selling quite quickly! There is a lovely one on the market not far from where we are but it’s in need of a lot of refurbishment and would need an extra injection of cash. But the initial asking price seems pretty good. Just depends on what you want I suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Very envious here of everyone making the move to Kerry. I'd move down there in the morning (I'm in Limerick) but having problems persuading himself :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Hi guys

As I mentioned a few pages back a downside of living in Kerry is that you are dealing with a small jobs market for professional careers like finance IT, science etc.

I live in mid Kerry (not far from Firies actually) and spent 6 months commuting every day to Limerick a few years’ back.

150 miles’ round trip each day, leave at 6.30am, in work for 8am, finish at 4.30pm home after 6pm usually.

Filling the 1.2L car with petrol every three journeys.

Now people might say that you send the same amount of time commuting in Dublin, but this is different, it’s mostly full on driving at 100K/ph, very little sitting in traffic.

It became very very tiring after a few months.

Now obviously living further north in Kerry is closer to Limerick a further east is closer Cork but either way it’s not easy doing it every day.

What type of financial services do you work in, is it the type of job that can be found and maintained in a big town like Tralee or is it something only found in bigger offices in bigger cities?

Hi guys

As I mentioned a few pages back a downside of living in Kerry is that you are dealing with a small jobs market for professional careers like finance IT, science etc.

I live in mid Kerry (not far from Firies actually) and spent 6 months commuting every day to Limerick a few years’ back.

150 miles’ round trip each day, leave at 6.30am, in work for 8am, finish at 4.30pm home after 6pm usually.

Filling the 1.2L car with petrol every three journeys.

Now people might say that you send the same amount of time commuting in Dublin, but this is different, it’s mostly full on driving at 100K/ph, very little sitting in traffic.

It became very very tiring after a few months.

Now obviously living further north in Kerry is closer to Limerick a further east is closer Cork but either way it’s not easy doing it every day.

What type of financial services do you work in, is it the type of job that can be found and maintained in a big town like Tralee or is it something only found in bigger offices in bigger cities?

I work in a standard financial services roles so with my experiencewould be able to fit into any back office type banking role or would even be open to moving into an admin role....the prob is my husband who is in a specialized area of banking/insurance....it’s just figuring out what he could do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭phormium

Very few banking/financial type jobs in Tralee unless some possibility of entry level as at least one of main banks is actually letting staff go locally although I think they are replacing with machines rather than new staff!

I was in same line myself and never found anything locally other than entry level queue walker positions advertised, you would have to travel and I wouldn't be surprised if that meant Limerick/Cork to get anything half decent.

Might be admin type roles in insurance but scarce enough too.

I actually considered at one stage commuting to Dublin and doing say a 3 day week up there but it wasn't financially viable either when you factored in accommodation.

PS Just thinking Fexco in Killorglin would be a good place to try if skills are relevant and local credit unions too, quite big ones locally with lots of staff.

Plenty of mainly commission based insurances sales roles come up but not sure that would suit anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

phormium wrote: »
    Very few banking/financial type jobs in Tralee unless some possibility of entry level as at least one of main banks is actually letting staff go locally although I think they are replacing with machines rather than new staff!

I was in same line myself and never found anything locally other than entry level queue walker positions advertised, you would have to travel and I wouldn't be surprised if that meant Limerick/Cork to get anything half decent.

Might be admin type roles in insurance but scarce enough too.

I actually considered at one stage commuting to Dublin and doing say a 3 day week up there but it wasn't financially viable either when you factored in accommodation.

PS Just thinking Fexco in Killorglin would be a good place to try if skills are relevant and local credit unions too, quite big ones locally with lots of staff.

Plenty of mainly commission based insurances sales roles come up but not sure that would suit anyone!

Always well worth putting a CV into them, they seem to have a very wide portfolio in the finincial sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pickled101

Hi guys

Just wondering why you wouldn't move to Cork or Limerick and avoid commuting to work. Why have a house in Tralee you only get to sleep in during the week?

I'm very lucky as I work from home in Tralee everyday but did have to commute to Shannon twice a week and that was torture.
    Friends travel to Limerick daily and hate it

Plenty of nice small towns with good quality of life within commuting distance of Cork City & Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

Tralee town centre is pretty much empty at this stage lots of businesses have moved out to Manor. I'm from Kerry but wouldn't move to Tralee

liam7831 wrote: »
    Tralee town centre is pretty much empty at this stage lots of businesses have moved out to Manor. I'm from Kerry but wouldn't move to Tralee

I wouldn't agree with that at all! What businesses have moved to manor from the town centre?

• Advertisement

Its much better going out to tarbert and the coast road. and yes its 100km

Advertisement