Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Tralee from Dublin

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Benildus wrote: »
    And like everyone else here I'm entitled to voice my opinion, just like you are entitled to defend Tralee to the hilt as you every time anyone criticises the place.

Yes I have lived in Tralee unfortunately, for a miserable 8 months - never again!

And I will defend my hometown whenever I see fit. You lived their for 8 months, hardly a long time. You had a bad experience, not everyone does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    And I will defend my hometown whenever I see fit. You lived their for 8 months, hardly a long time. You had a bad experience, not everyone does.

It was long enough to get a sufficient experience to be able to share with the OP.

You can defend it all you want but it's clear to see that you are blind to the obvious faults and downsides to living in Tralee.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Thanks for the feedback - great work there Mr/Mrs Mod

You're perfectly entitled to hate Tralee if you like but your comments are completely useless to the OP if you don't provide your reasoning.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

It was long enough to get a sufficient experience to be able to share with the OP.

You can defend it all you want but it's clear to see that you are blind to the obvious faults and downsides to living in Tralee.

Nope, not blind. I know there are faults, I’m not stupid. I work in a business where I see it daily! But the positives of the town outweigh the bad. I’m from here and don’t believe in bashing my town, especially when I have a business which relies on people coming here. You don’t like it, you make that very obvious, fair enough, no one is forcing you to like it nor do you have to live here again!

. Maybe the antisocial behaviour depends on where u live in Tralee or anywhere else. My inlaws live in a very nice area so I havent seen much of that side of things. But as I work in Dublin inner city maybe I have become immune over the years!

That's it in a nutshell. There are one or two areas in Tralee you couldn't pay me any amount of money to live in. But I know that's not particular to Tralee.

• Advertisement

The main thing I found with Tralee town was there weren't enough appropriate areas (parks, woods etc) nearby to be able to go for a decent walk in the fresh air, if you want that you have to drive a decent distance to be able to find it.

The town is on both the Dingle Way and the North Kerry Way so that's patently untrue.
    The restaurants and pubs in Tralee aren't great either and there is a bigger than usual anti-social element in Tralee in comparison to other places I've lived in.

Quality of restaurants and pubs is undoubtedly variable but there really is plenty of choice. As for the size of the anti-social element, I've no reason to believe it's at variance with other similarly-sized large towns in this country.

Quackster wrote: »
    You're perfectly entitled to hate Tralee if you like but your comments are completely useless to the OP if you don't provide your reasoning.

I did provide my valid reasons, do keep up

So you not being able to find a place for a walk or not being able to find a restaurant you liked made you miserable here?! Ok! :rolleyes:

Could you not find the large town park? Or the many areas for walks, such as the canal walk, Ballyard, Wetlands?
    Most wooded areas aren’t in the middle of towns or cities, you have to drive to get to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

Tralee is grand as long as you can put up with the self-abasement of it's inhabitants.

Yes you did eventually and that is to be welcomed.

• Advertisement

So you not being able to find a place for a walk or not being able to find a restaurant you likedmade you miserable here?! Ok! :rolleyes:

I was asked and I answered in an informative way unlike the condescending way you have on more than one occasion.
    Could you not find the large town park? Or the many areas for walks, such as the canal walk, Ballyard, Wetlands?
    Most wooded areas aren’t in the middle of towns or cities, you have to drive to get to them!

I never claimed they had to be in the middle of the towns, this is what I said:
    "there weren't enough appropriate areas (parks, woods etc) nearby to be able to go for a decent walk in the fresh air, if you want that you have to drive a decent distance to be able to find it."
    Both Killarney and Kenmare, for example, have appropriate areas that do not need to be driven to if one lives in the town/suburbs of these Kerry towns.

I really feel the utter overreaction of two mods on the Kerry forum to any sort of criticism of Tralee reflects badly on Boards - Op asked for advice, was given advice (both bad and good), yet here I am having to defend my opinion from these 2 Tralee biased mods.

@OP, live wherever you want to live in Kerry. I hope you and your family settle in well. I would say anywhere in Kerry is better than living in Dublin but then some Dublin based mod would probably jump down my throat.

(I will be unfollowing this tread and won't be posting in here again)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Joniamhsean

Thank you for your comments. I am glad to hear all sides of the argument.

I was asked and I answered in an informative way unlike the condescending way you have on more than one occasion.

I never claimed they had to be in the middle of the towns, this is what I said:

Both Killarney and Kenmare, for example, have appropriate areas that do not need to be driven to if one lives in the town/suburbs of these Kerry towns.

I really feel the utter overreaction of two mods on the Kerry forum to any sort of criticism of Tralee reflects badly on Boards - Op asked for advice, was given advice (both bad and good), yet here I am having to defend my opinion from these 2 Tralee biased mods.

@OP, live wherever you want to live in Kerry. I hope you and your family settle in well. I would say anywhere in Kerry is better than living in Dublin but then some Dublin based mod would probably jump down my throat.

(I will be unfollowing this tread and won't be posting in here again)

No bother. Not sure how we over-reacted, you seemed to be the only one getting in a huff about it all!
    I don’t know where Quakster is from, I can only speak for myself, and if I’m biased about Tralee, then its because I am from there and will defend it when I don’t think it’s being fairly portrayed. Just as I’m sure you would about a place you love!

If you have an issue with Mods, then you take it up in the appropriate channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 59,610 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

My 2c- lived here for almost 24 years. Originally from a border town which had a decidedly rough reputation and also spent 6 years studying/ working in Dublin.

Re Tralee: yes, there are troublesome areas and troublesome individuals but there are also very many nice areas to live and plenty of good folk. Housing costs are much, much lower in Tralee than in other areas such as Killarney. It has made significant strides in the past 5 or so years and while the sense of civic pride is probably stronger in smaller towns such as Killarney, there is some evidence of improvement here. Personally, I've never had any trouble whatsoever here although I wouldn't tend to be out and about all that much at night.
    There are plenty of good secondary schools and amenities-wise, it's pretty reasonably served- Siamsa, The Wetlands, Ballyseedy Wood, Blennerville canal walk, an Omniplex, the Aquadome , the Sports Complex and within 15 minutes driving of some great beaches- but I would also agree that the nightlife scene is reputed to be poor (as noted, I'm not in that scene so it doesn't personally impact me).
    The café scene has hugely improved over the past decade with Wild, Roast House and Yummy to name a few. I'd agree that there are a number of vacant units in the town centre although a couple of units have been re-occupied in the past year or so. Still way too many betting houses in my opinion, though.

Overall, I'm a satisfied blow-in to Tralee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Went to the ammusments (part of the rose festival) in Tralee yesterday

Four in the afternoon and as soon as I was in the gate the first thing I saw was two women, mothers, boxing the heads of each other, small kids crying, bigger kids trying to separate them.

I don't have much reason to go to Tralee these days as I don't work there anymore.
    But on the occasion I do and I see the likes of that it just affirms what I have always thought about Tralee.

You're better off somewhere other than Tralee in Kerry OP.

I don't have much reason to go to Tralee these days as I don't work there anymore.
    But on the occasion I do and I see the likes of that it just affirms what I have always thought about Tralee.

You're better off somewhere other than Tralee in Kerry OP.

Of course, you'd only ever see the likes of that in Tralee, vile heathens that we are who live here, and never in the glorious crime-free utopia that is the rest of the county of Kerry! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Quackster wrote: »
    Of course, you'd only ever see the likes of that in Tralee, vile heathens that we are who live here, and never in the glorious crime-free utopia that is the rest of the county of Kerry! :D

I've spent the last decade or more living in Kerry.

I spent 7 years working in Tralee.

In the time I formed the opinion that the town was a bit of a dump.

As I said I don't get into Tralee much anymore, but the first thing I see when I am in there yesterday is two women boxing the heads off each other at a fun fair in the middle of the afternoon.

That to me just confirms to me its a dump.

I've spent the last decade or more living in Kerry.

I spent 7 years working in Tralee.

In the time I formed the opinion that the town was a bit of a dump.

As I said I don't get into Tralee much anymore, but the first thing I see when I am in there yesterday is two women boxing the heads off each other at a fun fair in the middle of the afternoon.

That to me just confirms to me its a dump.

I'd love to know where you live that, in your mind, Tralee is a dump in comparison with.

You see two random women, who may or may not be from Tralee, having a fight and that confirms your opinion?! Hmmm...

What it does confirm in my mind is that there is a certain troublesome element attracted to the amusements. The same element you'd have come across at the amusements when they were in Killarney earlier in the summer, and then in Killorglin at Puck and they'll be in Listowel during the Harvest Festival too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I've been up and down to Tralee for the last 30 years (currently heading down) and have seen it 24 hours a day at times due to a friend having a hackney company for a few years and going out at night.
    Its like everywhere else in the country. It has bad elements which makes it a normal town.

I've seen more trouble in castleisland than Tralee over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Strange hearing the bashing of Tralee- I've seen some far worse dumps in other counties. (There are clubs and pubs in some places that you avoid like the plague-especially the ladies toilets. Lots of cocaine.)

The women throwing punches-they shame themselves more than anyone else.

• Advertisement

Wow, shock horror, a fight in the middle of the day. Bet Tralee is the only place that happens in! Love to know where all you Tralee haters live, cos it must be so perfect!

As I mentioned before, I work in a business where I see a bad element, but I see more of the good than the bad. I work in the town centre, and rarely see fights! Call me biased, but think about the amount of attacks & murders that have happened in Kerry in the past few years, how many have been in Tralee? Much smaller towns have had murders (Killarney, Killorglin, Cahersiveen) and a brutal assault in Castleisland. There are many things that annoy me about Tralee, I'm not looking at it through rose coloured glasses. I could go on about all those things, but what's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Wow, shock horror, a fight in the middle of the day. Bet Tralee is the only place that happens in! Love to know where all you Tralee haters live, cos it must be so perfect!

As I mentioned before, I work in a business where I see a bad element, but I see more of the good than the bad. I work in the town centre, and rarely see fights! Call me biased, but think about the amount of attacks & murders that have happened in Kerry in the past few years, how many have been in Tralee? Much smaller towns have had murders (Killarney, Killorglin, Cahersiveen) and a brutal assault in Castleisland. There are many things that annoy me about Tralee, I'm not looking at it through rose coloured glasses. I could go on about all those things, but what's the point?

I know someone who got sucker punched on a night out in Tralee. He was a blow-in from Cork, the guy who punched him was another blow-in from Dublin.
    (There'd been some aggravation over something else-the Dublin guy was a sports jock, they supported different soccer teams. Cork guy was straight but into fashion and so on).

Some people look for an excuse, as in being outside their home town, in order to be a jerk.

Well we had a nice family day out in our visit to the kingdom.
    Met a friend this morning on her market stall at the Brandon.had lunch in the roast house. kids played in the playground in the park. Saw friends around town during the day and never saw one fight in the 12 hours we were out. I am quiet shocked and disappointed having expected a fight from reading this thread:)

Well we had a nice family day out in our visit to the kingdom.
    Met a friend this morning on her market stall at the Brandon.had lunch in the roast house. kids played in the playground in the park. Saw friends around town during the day and never saw one fight in the 12 hours we were out. I am quiet shocked and disappointed having expected a fight from reading this thread:)

Glad to hear you had a lovely day in Tralee. Sorry that you didn’t get to experience the hell hole it’s made out to be! :D;)

Glad to hear you had a lovely day in Tralee. Sorry that you didn’t get to experience the hell hole it’s made out to be! :D;)

Going home today and gutted I didn't get to see a fight.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 59,610 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

^^ Perhaps if we could arrange a face-off in The Square between Ciarrai76 and one of the naysayers you'd get to see one? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

Going home today and gutted I didn't get to see a fight.!!

Best chance is after 6pm as they would not be up and about before then

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Joniamhsean

News update! We moved to Tralee this wknd. We have rented a house and will buy at some stsge. I am starting a new job tomorrow and the children start school on wed. All a bit scary and a whirlwind of emotions! Thank u all so much for ur input.

News update! We moved to Tralee this wknd. We have rented a house and will buy at some stsge. I am starting a new job tomorrow and the children start school on wed. All a bit scary and a whirlwind of emotions! Thank u all so much for ur input.

That’s great, congratulations on your move. I hope all works out well for you! Let us know how you get on. Hope the kids enjoy their new school too!

• Advertisement

Are you in town or did you get a place in the country?

Advertisement