Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travelling to China with the Mrs ....phone use

• 02-04-2018 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi, I am travelling to china for a 2 week training class.
    we are both on the 48 network...would we be better off getting chinese sim's to stay in contact during the day? Both our phones are unlocked. TBH text messages would probabaly suffice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

The answer for this is usually YES as Irish companies can charge you over 6 euro per meg for data outside Europe. So try to get a Chinese sim when you land as it will give you peace of mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

According to the 48 help forums, calls to mobiles and landlines cost €1.00 per minute, texts 25c, and you'll have no data.

Seems a no-brainer to get local SIMs, if your phones are unlocked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Check what bands phones will support, and what bands the chinese sims use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

the_syco wrote: »
    Check what bands phones will support, and what bands the chinese sims use.

Last time I arrived in Shanghai, they had 3G/4G WiFi hotspot things you could buy and rent.

Would be an idea instead of having to swap out SIMS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

You can buy phone cards in the airport right after you go through immigration

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Madame Feathers

OK i have express VPN installed on my phone and i can keep in contact with my family back home through FB messenger/whatsapp etc but if i put in a chinese sim into the phone will i be able to access my whatsapp a/c ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

OK i have express VPN installed on my phone and i can keep in contact with my family back home through FB messenger/whatsapp etc but if i put in a chinese sim into the phone will i be able to access my whatsapp a/c ?
    vpns are supposedly now all blocked , so maybe figure out whether you can do what you want to do in the first place, before worrying about data or which sim would be best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

rossie1977 wrote: »
    You can buy phone cards in the airport right after you go through immigration

And you're better off doing it there as you can't get Chinese Chinese SIM, just a foreigner Chinese SIM, the former needs a chinese ID.

VPNs are a mixed bag, they don't entirely block yet because they know there'd be an exodus of a certain portion of foreign residents if they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

For anyone that's interested express VPN works a charm in China enabling you to use whatsapp, FB, Google and even netflix which is a Godsend if like most you're not into chinese TV. Also google translate is a great app.

• Advertisement
Advertisement