Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone app for solo spinning.

Options
  • 02-04-2018 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I like to do 2-3 spin classes as week but can't always make the timetabled classes so I'd like to get an app for my Android phone which would provide prompts, timing and structure for 40-50 minute HIIT and Climbing type sessions which I can do solo if I can't make a class.

The bikes in my gym don't have any clever tech built in such as RPM or power metres so I'm just looking for something which will tell me there's a 2 minute sprint starting in 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 then prompt that the sprint will finish and a recovery will start in 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 etc.

This is the only app I can find on the Play Store which looks like it might do the trick, the others all seem to either be infused with click bait adverts or require some form of sensor on the bike so you can play an interactive game or join a virtual class.

Does anyone here have any other recommendations?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Id recommend YouTube vids instead of an app.
    If you’ve a heart rate monitor aswell all the better to keep an eye on your effort.

I used to use the CTXC videos on YouTube, found them much better than the ones of actual spin classes.
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I tried it using YouTube videos before (even got a spinning bike at home) but found it mind numbingly boring, and impossible to replicate a real spinning class.

I sold the bike after 6 months - still planning on investing in a proper smart trainer to use with Zwift or something similar but now that the clock changed I'll just try to get out for one or two mid week spins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I'd recommend the GCN training videos. There are a few with handy on screen graphics which let you know what's coming up. You can choose to ignore the spin leader in those videos and just focus on your own effort when the interval begins.

When a spin is lead by one of the GCN guys there isn't a graphic as such, just a intensity level, so its best to follow their instructions throughout.

I used them during the bad weather and noticed an improvement in my own fitness.

With interval graphic...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiDD_aqdnK0

With GCN presenter
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvg9c0-iYgg

Advertisement