Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on leasing an existing coffee shop

Options
  • 02-04-2018 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi, my partner has been asked by a local coffee shop owner if she would be interested in leasing the business. Neither myself not my partner have any experience in this, however she has a passion for baking and has wanted to set up a small coffee shop for some time. Needless to say this offer seems like her dream come true.
    I know we need more advice than just from here, however any help would be appreciated.

My question are

What are the norms of leasing a small coffee shop?

What exactly should the lease entail (premises, contents, name of business)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Leasing as a going concern will likely require you to take on, and recognise service of, the current staff.
    You'll be leasing a premises on a full maintenance basis - if something goes wrong, you fix it. This will likely include fixtures, equipment and the structure. You'll have to insure the building, or pay the landlord to insure it (most likely) as well as your regular insurance for public liability etc.
    The lease will have a time frame. You'll be responsible for paying the rent for the full length of this time, even if you go out of business.
    There's quite a bit more. A solicitor will need to be employed to examine the proposed lease. This is standard stuff for most of them and the best place for good and complete advice.

Elephant in the room question - why is he looking to lease the business premises?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

mrpgri wrote: »
    Hi, my partner has been asked by a local coffee shop owner if she would be interested in leasing the business. Neither myself not my partner have any experience in this, however she has a passion for baking and has wanted to set up a small coffee shop for some time. Needless to say this offer seems like her dream come true.
    I know we need more advice than just from here, however any help would be appreciated.

My question are

What are the norms of leasing a small coffee shop?

What exactly should the lease entail (premises, contents, name of business)?
    simply speaking don't do it

You 99% being offered a pup and you have no experience. its a horribly tough business.

And the baking comment, whereas it is a lovely sentiment, is very far removed from the reality of running a cafe. You will be buying all your cakes in, it makes far more sense and is more cost efficient and make life so much easier.

Advertisement