Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to play Resident evil 2 & 3. Best way?

Options
  • 02-04-2018 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Looking to replay these games and show my son as we have already played threw zero and 1 remastered on the ps4.

I have a ps3 here just missing a controller at the moment so can't turn it on. Was looking at possibly buying physical copys but can't find 3 anywhere at a decent price.

Theres also the game cube route which is expensive and the pc either as a download as a pc version or threw emulator.

Based on experience what is the easiest lowest costing way of playing both games right now!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

Mod Edit: Snip

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Mod Edit: Snip

Do they play and look excatly the same as the ps1 versions??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

I'd say hold off on resident evil 2 and save it for remake 2 which I reckon will be very well done based on how res7 was made

biggebruv wrote: »
    I'd say hold off on resident evil 2 and save it for remake 2 which I reckon will be very well done based on how res7 was made

I'd much rather play the remake but there's not even a release date for it I'm aware of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just buy a PS3 controller and buy both of them in the PSN Online store. They're both €9.99 each and they're both the USA versions, so run at 60hz.

Or you could get a cheap second-hand PS Vita and play them on that if handhelds appeal to you.

• Advertisement

Just buy a PS3 controller and buy both of them in the PSN Online store. They're both €9.99 each and they're both the USA versions, so run at 60hz.

Or you could get a cheap second-hand PS Vita and play them on that if handhelds appeal to you.

Dunno if my ps3 will go online it's running cfw haven't really touched it in years. I wanna play It on the telly spend as little money as possible last thing I need is another console haha :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The best way is a PS3 at the moment and it helps that they are the US versions so run at the correct speed.

I'd much rather play the remake but there's not even a release date for it I'm aware of yet.

No sadly but I’m guessing it could be a January 2019 release based on history capcom seems to love this month

Resident evil 7 and revelations 1&2
    Monster hunter world
    Dmc 4 & 2013

Were all released in January so fingers crossed we get reveal at e3

biggebruv wrote: »
    No sadly but I’m guessing it could be a January 2019 release based on history capcom seems to love this month

Resident evil 7 and revelations 1&2
    Monster hunter world
    Dmc 4 & 2013

Were all released in January so fingers crossed we get reveal at e3

Ya I can't wait that long haha. I'm sure as hell gonna play it whenever it does come out but I wanna show my son all thr games so it's fresh in my mind now.

• Looking to replay these games and show my son as we have already played threw zero and 1 remastered on the ps4.

I have a ps3 here just missing a controller at the moment so can't turn it on. Was looking at possibly buying physical copys but can't find 3 anywhere at a decent price.

Theres also the game cube route which is expensive and the pc either as a download as a pc version or threw emulator.

Based on experience what is the easiest lowest costing way of playing both games right now!?

I have both of them on the Gamecube, they look great on RGB Scart cable, only problem is the PAL versions don't have 60hz
    You could also try them on a softmodded Wii and force 60hz

• Advertisement

• I'd much rather play the remake but there's not even a release date for it I'm aware of yet.

The originals are timeless classics
    I'd play both first in their original form, especially if it's your first experience

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    The originals are timeless classics
    I'd play both first in their original form, especially if it's your first experience

I've played them both meself when was kid. Its the setting up of the consoles and making sure I still have everything. Was basically looking for most straightforward way with same experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

PC seems the easiest then? Just have to map a controller.

Rob2D wrote: »
    PC seems the easiest then? Just have to map a controller.

Got the games downloaded gonna have look at controller later.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The PC versions have background tiling issues with modern gpu cards so they will probably take some tweaking and fan patches to get working.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The PC versions have background tiling issues with modern gpu cards so they will probably take some tweaking and fan patches to get working.

Crap more to look into so! Ha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Seems they run into issues with newer windows too:

https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Resident_Evil_2

Like everything else :pac:

• Here is a great video detailing all versions of RE2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭Inviere

Any difference between the PS3 PSN versions and the Gamecube versions?

Got them on the psn store for the ps3. Yet to get a chance to play so far though :pac:.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Couldn't you play them through PS1 emulator on the PC using the original disks either? Advantage of playing the original games with better visuals.

Couldn't you play them through PS1 emulator on the PC using the original disks either? Advantage of playing the original games with better visuals.

I dont have the disks anymore.

Inviere wrote: »
    Any difference between the PS3 PSN versions and the Gamecube versions?

Well I think the PAL Gamecube version is 50Hz garbage with not 60Hz mode and a blur filter applied. The PSN version, even in Europe is the 60Hz version.

The GameCube textures are supposed to be the best for consoles from what I remember reading
    Really sharp

Playing threw Re2 on the ps3 with the store versions looked very rough around the edges at first obviously coming from the ps4 and remastered versions.

I've gotten used to everything quickly enough including the controls. One thing that find more annoying thrn anything is because of the very dated textures colour s and lack of shadowing in the game its sometimes hard to make out whats in the rooms on desks corners etc.

• Playing threw Re2 on the ps3 with the store versions looked very rough around the edges at first obviously coming from the ps4 and remastered versions.

I've gotten used to everything quickly enough including the controls. One thing that find more annoying thrn anything is because of the very dated textures colour s and lack of shadowing in the game its sometimes hard to make out whats in the rooms on desks corners etc.

Depends on TV tbh
    Also are you running this with the PSX smoothing options on ect?

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Depends on TV tbh
    Also are you running this with the PSX smoothing options on ect?

Actually im not sure ill have to check when ps3 is on next!!

Advertisement