Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a landlord reluctantly

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

The wife is absolutely against taking a hit on our place but even she commented last night that anymore interfereance, especially the inability to evict for sale, we're getting out of the game.

Inherited rent control & inability to end a tenancy to sell a property vacant would be the end for me too. The property value will be eroded immediately & will never again match a non-tenanted property in value. The state becomes the dictator & the small LL gets the burden of providing housing.
    If the government thinks this bill is viable, I really despair about the brainpower in the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Graces7 wrote: »
    Sounds fairer to tenants than now. About time too. We are not there for the lls convenience...to be ousted so easily

All it will do is reduce the availability of housing for rental. One of my neighbours has moved closer to their work but it's keeping their house empty in Dublin in case they need to move back. Basically there are a huge number of accidental landlords who have had to move for work or other reasons. Its becoming increasingly unattractive to rent out property but to sell instead or keep empty.

Changes might be fair if they were balanced but there is no comeback on tenants who overhold and resist to pay rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

What's good for the goose...

If a tenant wants security of tenure then they need to agree a corasponding length of time they are willing to stay. It's all well and good saying renting is not for the LL's convienace but the tenants shouldn't have all the control. I'd be delighted with a fixed term tenancy of five or ten years to be available with NEITHER party allowed to break it.

I was always seeking just that and never got it. Tenants have no control. At the whim and mercy. For the reasons I stated. .in a council property now and much easier on that score.

All it will do is reduce the availability of housing for rental. One of my neighbours has moved closer to their work but it's keeping their house empty in Dublin in case they need to move back. Basically there are a huge number of accidental landlords who have had to move for work or other reasons. Its becoming increasingly unattractive to rent out property but to sell instead or keep empty.

Changes might be fair if they were balanced but there is no comeback on tenants who overhold and resist to pay rent.

That is grossly unfair to the majority of us tenants who never overhold or resist paying rent. Who take care of the property.

I was in rural France with practically no mobile signal and managed to get a Fridge/freezer there the next day. Delinquent landlords piss me off, it's not the tenants fault if the LL is struggling and keeping €500 in the client account is not that hard.

Not having a go at you - hearing of people waiting five weeks for a washing machine makes me genuinely angry.

One of mine took three months to replace the washing machine.. When the ancient freezer died,I sourced one locally and sent him round to get it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

NuMarvel wrote: »
    If you promise to get a broken washing machine fixed in less than 5 weeks, then let me know next time you have a vacancy :D

I promise and will be renting this summer :) no in all seriousness, I don’t have the option of not renting it so will give it a go. Would def consider cutting rent for right tenant etc and as a former renter for years and years would never leave a tenant stuck for washing machine etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭rossmores

polydactyl wrote: »
    NuMarvel wrote: »
    If you promise to get a broken washing machine fixed in less than 5 weeks, then let me know next time you have a vacancy :D

I promise and will be renting this summer :) no in all seriousness, I don’t have the option of not renting it so will give it a go. Would def consider cutting rent for right tenant etc and as a former renter for years and years would never leave a tenant stuck for washing machine etc.
    tenant rights supersede  owner rights u deserve what you get if you do

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

polydactyl wrote: »

Honestly, I hope it works out for you- and that you'll be back here in 2 years time- telling us all that the naysayers who were telling you to cut your losses were 100% wrong. I don't care if I was wrong- for your sake, I hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Honestly in two years regardless if I can afford it I will be hoping to say I sold it and maybe if luck is with me broke even! Thanks for all the advice everyone anyway. Am even more reluctant now. Fingers crossed I will th lotto and can sell it!

Advertisement