Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ideas for a Big Bday Trip (solo)

• 02-04-2018 6:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,027 ✭✭✭✭

But rich putting this up in youth travel but such is life.

Will have a big bday coming up over the next couple of years and am looking to plan a special trip.

Happy to do small group travel as a solo, between 2 and 3 weeks, but looking for ideas.

Was thinking of Galapagos islands(costs for cruises are not solo friendly)

New Zealand or Australia( was there is 2008) or Macchu Picchu.

Another one that I fancy is Patagonia.

Has anyone any feedback on these or any other ideas.?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,627 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If I could suggest something related to one of your listed choices....

How about visiting Antarctica? I did this a few years ago (with a pal, but would be absolutely fine as a solo trip) - we spent a week in Patagonia doing hiking/trekking (got patched into larger groups who were doing a different holiday) and visiting glaciers, and then flew down south and took a 9-day trip to Antarctica on a small ship. There were all sorts on the boat, only 100 passengers so you got to know everyone.

It was hands down the best holiday of my life.

It was all organised through Trailfinders who were really fantastic.

Can supply more details via PM if it's something you'd be interested in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,027 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Thank you very much for that suggestion. Sounds right up my street!

The only downside of going on ships though is that as a solo you end up paying a very large single supplement, some cases it’s double the single fare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,627 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

anewme wrote: »
    Thank you very much for that suggestion. Sounds right up my street!

The only downside of going on ships though is that as a solo you end up paying a very large single supplement, some cases it’s double the single fare.
    As far as I remember it was possible to get a same-sex shared cabin and I think there were cabins with 4 bunks where it was possible to book just one. It wasn't your usual cruise ship, it was a research ship that earns its keep 6 months of the year doing tourist trips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

What month is your birthday?

Antartica would be an amazing trip and is on my bucket list.

What about a safari in Africa - you could do a 'traditional' safari and combine it with a trek to see Gorillas in the wild and also have a bit of a beach break in Zanzibar.

Or maybe a trip to swim with whales / whale sharks - somewhere like Tonga you can swim with Humpbacks and Ningaloo reef in Australia (among other places) for whale sharks

I just went away for my birthday and went to northern Sweden and Norway for the Northern Lights. It was amazing and I also went dog sledding and snowmobiling, so that could be another option if the Northern Lights are on your bucket list - happy to give you more info about where I went.

My actual bday is November but I’m usually busy in work, so it would have to be September October time.

I am really liking the Patagonia and Antarctica option. I have never been on a cruise, it’s just not me, so the option of a research ship rather than a cruise ship is something that really does appeal.

I like the African option as well.

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Sept/Oct wouldn't work for Antarctica. The season is generally Nov to March.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Sin1981

I've been to Patagonia so would definitely recommend! Envious of any who's been to Antarctica!!

I was also on the Galapagos a few years ago. Don't be put off going on your own. I did. Now, granted I was backpacking in S America at the time. but if you're willing to fly over and jump on a boat you can get a cruise for a FRACTION of what you'd pay when booking from Ireland. I was there over the Christmas period, and I wasn't sure if there would be availability, but there was. I had a choice of cruises. the key thing, is book when you get there.
    I spent 7/8 days on the islands. I did a 4 day/night cruise, and saw loads. apart from that I explored a couple of islands. the cruise cost me approx $US 700. no supplement for being on my own.
    Not sure how much a return flight from Ireland would be to Ecuador, and from there to the islands, but I'd imagine not much more than 1K?

happy travelling :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I have been to part of Norway and it is amazing.
    A dream trip of mine is doing one of the Hurtigruten sailings along the Norwegian coast, they are available year-round. https://www.hurtigruten.com/destinations/norway/

All great suggestions, thanks all.

Have looked into a couple.

One thing putting me off cruises is I’m not prepared to pay a massive solo supplement.

I’m a bit concerned about Africa from a safety point of view, so am going to keep searching.

Patagonia favourite so far.

Advertisement