Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foundation advice

Options
  • 02-04-2018 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭

Hoping someone can help.
    I’m in my late 30s and some fine lines and acne scars and have an oily t zone. I’m using Mac studio fix Foundation and Mac mineralized skin finish powder. I finding they are highlighting my lines and scars by creasing a bit as the day goes on and the powder makes them worse by making it very cakey looking and highlighting ones that you can’t see when not wearing makeup. It makes me look a lot older and tired also.
    Just researching foundation for aging skin and they all seem to be a bit oily Can anyone give recommendations of foundation and powder for my skin type please. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

I don't wear foundation much so can't help with that unfortunately, but just wanted to ask what you put on your skin before foundation? Do you use primer, moisturiser, have much of a skin care routine etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,669 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I find MAC foundation utterly rubbish, I have to say. Slides off my face yet catches in fine lines, my eyebrows and hairline. My mum recently gave me a sample of their new one (Water Weight) and I gave it a go in the hopes of being won over, but same old story.

I've always been a fan of Teinte Idole Ultra but the last year or so I've been using Catrice HD something-or-other (sorry, name escapes me right now) and it's brilliant. It's in a glass bottle with a pipette dispenser.

The only thing is that the shade range is very limited. I buy two colours and mix them.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

I don't wear foundation much so can't help with that unfortunately, but just wanted to ask what you put on your skin before foundation? Do you use primer, moisturiser, have much of a skin care routine etc?

I’m using Kinvara Skincare at the minute. I use the oil cleanser, moisturizer and serum. I have a Mac primer too but find when I use that the foundation formula seems to separate. I’ve tried all combinations of using the above all, none, 1 item, 2 items etc

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I find MAC foundation utterly rubbish, I have to say. Slides off my face yet catches in fine lines, my eyebrows and hairline. My mum recently gave me a sample of their new one (Water Weight) and I gave it a go in the hopes of being won over, but same old story.

I've always been a fan of Teinte Idole Ultra but the last year or so I've been using Catrice HD something-or-other (sorry, name escapes me right now) and it's brilliant. It's in a glass bottle with a pipette dispenser.

The only thing is that the shade range is very limited. I buy two colours and mix them.
    I’ve seen the catrice one in Penney’s I’ll give it a go as it’s a cheap one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

The skin finish powder is quite high coverage by itself. I use it with a serum foundation (bourgeois healthy mix) rather than a high coverage one as I find it looks cery cakey with a heavier base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

What do you use to put your makeup on? I find that that's really important. I used to use a buffing brush but a beauty sponge (Real Techniques is what I use) gives a more flawless natural look compared to being cakey.

jeonahr wrote: »
    What do you use to put your makeup on? I find that that's really important. I used to use a buffing brush but a beauty sponge (Real Techniques is what I use) gives a more flawless natural look compared to being cakey.

I use my fingers or a brush. Whatever mood I’m in! The cakeyness happens from powdering the shine.
    My makeup looks ok- ish when I first put it on. It’s grand but look a bit tired and can see some of the deeper acne scars. As the day/night goes on the foundation gets a oily around tzone and starts creasing. I use powder only where needed.

was looking at the charlotte tibury magic foundation online. has anyone used that?
    what about banana setting powder? there was a bit of a buzz about that last year being good.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭jo2509

I am a similar age and i have found that i've had to just ditch foundation altogether... i used to use MAC ProLongwear. Switched to NARS tinted moisturiser and it's made a huge difference. Good coverage but doesnt settle into the 'grooves' :D
    If you want to try a cheaper option to see how you get on, the Boots Seventeen BB cream is also great.

jo2509 wrote: »
    I am a similar age and i have found that i've had to just ditch foundation altogether... i used to use MAC ProLongwear. Switched to NARS tinted moisturiser and it's made a huge difference. Good coverage but doesnt settle into the 'grooves' :D
    If you want to try a cheaper option to see how you get on, the Boots Seventeen BB cream is also great.

i dont wear makeup everyday but like to wear at weekends. I also have senstive skin to throw into the mix! Do you use a powder with the tinted moisturiser?
    I havent tried tinted moisturiser in years, hopefully its changed since then. I think I used olay then, was so bad was way too dark for me and a shiny messy within an hour.. a lovely look!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I switched to vichy dermablend, it's light and i dont think has those problems. I use bareminerals or bobbi brown powder for finishing. Might be worth a go

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Definitely try the Catrice HD foundation, I use it every day and gives great coverage without breaking me out (most heavy duty foundations do!)

Use a pore minimising primer, a beauty blender and a loose translucent powder to set everything.

I love Mac Mineralised Skin Finish Natural, but it's not really good for setting foundation, especially if you have issues with skin texture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

I follow 'the beautiful truth' blog, she uses a thing called 'drop shot' from urban decay with the mac foundation. It's like an oil you put literally one drop mixed in your foundation helps stop it going cakey.

Do a good exfoliation on the skin too, may help.

Personally I can't wear mac anymore, it emphasizes any flaw on my face.

The cartrice one mentioned is quite good. I love Double wear light too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I would recommend a primer (Smashbox makes a good one) and my favorite foundation now is Nars Sheer Glow Foundation. It's a light to medium cover and just sits so well on my skin. It doesn't matte it out too much or get cakey. And a beauty sponge is the way to go with application.
    If you're looking for something more full coverage, I would look into Makeup Forever foundations. They also sit well and do a better job of coverings up texture, if that's a concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I bought magic foundation a few years ago and literally rang brown thomas and begged for a refund, ive never returned a makeup product before or since. It was so bad, I had normal skin at the time with no lines and it highlighted every little mark on my face, clung to dry patches, separated, highlighted lines I didnt know were there. Worst foundation ive ever used. If youre thinking about trying it get a sample first.
    The Charlotte tilbury light wonder foundation is amazing, its not full coverage but can be built up. Catrice foundation is good too. Have you tried Double wear? its full coverage and I dont put it near my undereyes anymore as it creases like mad but its great for t zone areas and covering scars and pigmentation.
    As others have mentioned a primer might work for you, smashbox do a good one and benefit porefessional is supposed to be good too, I didnt think much of it but ive got dry skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

GingerLily wrote: »
    Definitely try the Catrice HD foundation, I use it every day and gives great coverage without breaking me out (most heavy duty foundations do!)

Use a pore minimising primer, a beauty blender and a loose translucent powder to set everything.

I love Mac Mineralised Skin Finish Natural, but it's not really good for setting foundation, especially if you have issues with skin texture.

How light does the Catrice HD go? I'm very pale, I usually use nw13 in studiofix & I find the shade spot on.

I bought magic foundation a few years ago and literally rang brown thomas and begged for a refund, ive never returned a makeup product before or since. It was so bad, I had normal skin at the time with no lines and it highlighted every little mark on my face, clung to dry patches, separated, highlighted lines I didnt know were there. Worst foundation ive ever used. If youre thinking about trying it get a sample first.
    The Charlotte tilbury light wonder foundation is amazing, its not full coverage but can be built up. Catrice foundation is good too. Have you tried Double wear? its full coverage and I dont put it near my undereyes anymore as it creases like mad but its great for t zone areas and covering scars and pigmentation.
    As others have mentioned a primer might work for you, smashbox do a good one and benefit porefessional is supposed to be good too, I didnt think much of it but ive got dry skin.

Oh god dont think I'll bother with the magic foundation. Ive tried double wear, i got 'colour matched' :rolleyes: at the counter, im fair and the girl sold me this really dark colour. im not even that dark with tan. Was too heavy for my liking. even though i have some redness from scars I like a light coverage. A good tinted moisturiser might be the way to go for me.

thanks everyone for your help.

How light does the Catrice HD go? I'm very pale, I usually use nw13 in studiofix & I find the shade spot on.

im that shade too

Mollyd90 wrote: »
    im that shade too

If you try it, let me know what shade you go for!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Shade 010 is definitely very pale for a pharmacy shade, I'm not sure if it's more a NW15 rather then NW13 but it could be light enough? Catrice sell a foundation lightener too if I remember correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I’ve been wearing the Bourjois Healthy mix foundation for a while now & find it good. I’m thinking of switching to their City radiance for something lighter in the summer. Has anyone used it? How did you find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I'm huge fan of The Ordinary serum foundation. I find it great with small lines, it doesn't nestle in them and make you look five years older. Plus it's a doddle to apply with your fingers. Their full coverage foundation is terrible so if you are shopping online make sure you get the right one. Another one I like is Armani Luminous Silk foundation. I just use NYX setting powder over it.

I bought and tried the catrice foundation this evening in shade 010. I also bought a beauty blender sponge from Penney’s. Pretty impressed with both I have to say. The colour is slightly darker than Mac nw13 but I just brought it further down my neck. I’ll use it again in the next few days I may have just being having a good skin evening! The finish is a lot better than the Mac studio fix. Good coverage that was buildable and lasted well. I used maybelline matte powder to set it. Instantly looked worse and aged me especially under my eyes. Looked tired. On the lookout for a new powder now.
    Never used a beauty blender before it had a way nicer finish than fingers or brush.

I bought L’Oréal colour match last week. It wasnt recommended here but looked good in the shop. Pure crap on my skin anyway! I normally just start shining in my t zone but this was shining everywhere and started to separate with the oils on my skin on t zone very quickly. I powered over it and made it look so bad. I used it a few times to give it a chance, it’s going to the bin I’m afraid.

Gingerlilly mentioned earlier that catrice do a foundation lightener, may be worth a try if the foundation is good.
    I find the True match is lovely on at first but by the time I'm going home from work it looks crap... I only use it of I know I'm only doing my face for a few hours.
    My order of The Ordinary products arrived, I bought the foundation - will report back!

Gingerlilly mentioned earlier that catrice do a foundation lightener, may be worth a try if the foundation is good.
    I find the True match is lovely on at first but by the time I'm going home from work it looks crap... I only use it of I know I'm only doing my face for a few hours.
    My order of The Ordinary products arrived, I bought the foundation - will report back!

Please do! Love to hear what they are like.
    Didn’t see the lightener in Penney’s there was highlighters to add to foundation but I think I’ll get a foundation I’m happy with before I start adding highlighters to it.

Sinister Kid how did you get on with the Ordinary Foundation?

Ive used the catrice foundation a few times now with banana powder I got in penneys. The powder is making a big difference to the 'not looking tired and cakey' finish. The foundation is the right colour but then oxidises after a while.

I got some samples of vichy activlift and dermablend. I used the activift over the weekend with the banana powder. Definetly looked fresher and more awake than the other foundations. there was a small bit a of creasing towards the end of the night not like mac though. Havent tried the dermablend yet but will do so this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭aidom

It sounds like what happens when my skin is dehydrated. I'd say using something like Vichy Aqualia or a hydrating primer should help.

I'd also find that spritzing a a hydrating spray on straight after primer helps to avoid a cakey look.

I've found the Ordinary serum foundation to be really good. I also like the IT cosmetics CC cream.

Advertisement