Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inter-union talk | Equal Pay for Equal Work $$$See warning in OP$$$

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

It took the ASTI losing members for them to come to their senses. If they had persisted with that action any longer hey would have lost thousands more. Perhaps they should let the TUI keep the money as a thank you gift!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

doc_17 wrote: »
    It took the ASTI losing members for them to come to their senses. If they had persisted with that action any longer hey would have lost thousands more. Perhaps they should let the TUI keep the money as a thank you gift!!

I think that depends on the numbers who were leaving vs the numbers leaving and joining a different union. It was only by joining the TUI that those members escaped the penalties endured by ASTI members. It was and remains against ICTU rules to switch unions during a dispute, something that was willfully ignored by those individuals and, unbelievably, the TUI itself. If that rule was observed and defectors had been forced to go without a union at all, Id be surprised if the ASTI's losses wouldve been so dramatic.

If people had left the union because of a principle, I could forgive them but to jump ship AND run to the TUI when the going got tough and provide even more ammunition for the media to scupper the ASTI's campaign altogether shows utter disdain for the concept of trade unionism.

Id have more respect for those individuals that organised that special convention and that aint saying much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

doc_17 wrote: »

What an ignorant and arrogant comment!

It's a pity TUI and other unions didn't "come to their senses" years ago! If they had our working conditions mightn't be in the sorry state they are today!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

acequion wrote: »
    What an ignorant and arrogant comment!

It's a pity TUI and other unions didn't "come to their senses" years ago! If they had our working conditions mightn't be in the sorry state they are today!

The TUI 20 years ago introduced the Assistant Lecturer grade and impoverished a generation of lecturers. They are the cause of the sorry state of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Hey look at this tasty tasty precedent being set by the consultants.

Lads, we are entitled to this and the more we sit on our hands the less chance we have of getting it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Hey look at this tasty tasty precedent being set by the consultants.

Lads, we are entitled to this and the more we sit on our hands the less chance we have of getting it.

I keep hearing about that and think "Oh! that sounds fair that they'd at least they'd be guaranteed a bassline salary of €72,000".

Then I realise that that's the increase.
    That's an extra 2 new teachers for every consultant in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

I'm not against the consultants getting this money, but the cost of this, at €200m, is the same as the sum the government has been citing in defence of not allowing for pay equalisation for the 60,000+ public sector workers who joined since 2011.

Shooters shoot.

Fair play to them for getting it, I wish our unions would go and hire their lawyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Starkystark

Didn’t two members of the INTo bring the department to the European Court on the basis of pay discrimination? Any one any further information on the outcome of this? Gave me a second of hope. This sh**ty salary is getting to me. The more the years go on - the more concerned I’m getting.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/european-court-to-rule-on-teacher-pay-dispute-469106.html

And the INTO are the first to fall into line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

And the INTO are the first to fall into line.

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Saw this on VFT page, tells it's own story.
    42421102_2380099328697393_1999805398005055488_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&oh=2f549beb4f5fe0335634e101157c02d7&oe=5C165DA8

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Quel surprise!! Given the makeup of tui central executive, expect similar response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Quel surprise!! Given the makeup of tui central executive, expect similar response.

Out of interest what is it about TUI CEC that makes you doubt them? I'm certainly sceptical based on prior inaction, but interested to hear exactly what it is about the executive make up that you don't like?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Out of interest what is it about TUI CEC that makes you doubt them? I'm certainly sceptical based on prior inaction, but interested to hear exactly what it is about the executive make up that you don't like?
    Majority are 3rd level and they recently got a good deal so why risk it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Majority are 3rd level and they recently got a good deal so why risk it.

What good deal did they get? Also, despite all rumours to the contrary, the third level members of TUI are the most militant. I used to believe this "third level sold us out" stuff too once, but then I actually got involved and got to know those involved. Believe me it couldn't be further from the truth.

Yes I'd also like to know what good deal they got?

Haven't looked at this new deal thing yet. Trying to keep an open mind to give it impartial consideration,but you can't help feeling skeptical when you see the INTO all running into line.:rolleyes:

Yes I'd also like to know what good deal they got?

Haven't looked at this new deal thing yet. Trying to keep an open mind to give it impartial consideration,but you can't help feeling skeptical when you see the INTO all running into line.:rolleyes:

We're still down all allowances and teachers won't get equality.
    No back pay either.

• Advertisement

We're still down all allowances and teachers won't get equality.
    No back pay either.

In fairness if we can get the full equality,including allowances, going forwards,I'd let the back pay go.

But I will read it carefully and I think there will soon be an ASTI CEC meeting on this.

In fairness if we can get the full equality,including allowances, going forwards,I'd let the back pay go.

But I will read it carefully and I think there will soon be an ASTI CEC meeting on this.

I’m just saying that it isn’t there.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Excuse my ignorance but am I right in saying that all new entrants to the teaching career will still start on point 1 of scale?

Seannew1 wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but am I right in saying that all new entrants to the teaching career will still start on point 1 of scale?

Yeah

Hopefully an Irish Government finally have the balls to face down teachers, ludicrous demands as usual.
    :D The cheek of those pesky teachers expecting parity with their colleagues, honestly, what's the world coming to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

:D The cheek of those pesky teachers expecting parity with their colleagues, honestly, what's the world coming to?

I can see both sides of this argument, having spent 10 years in the private sector before starting teaching. I’ve always felt, like plenty of others, that teachers salaries are generous enough, with some of the allowances being far too large over 40+ years. However, what’s available for some teachers should be there for all, the inequality isn’t good enough really.

This is hopefully the first step to equality.

I can see both sides of this argument, having spent 10 years in the private sector before starting teaching. I’ve always felt, like plenty of others, that teachers salaries are generous enough, with some of the allowances being far too large over 40+ years. However, what’s available for some teachers should be there for all, the inequality isn’t good enough really.

This is hopefully the first step to equality.

First step my arse. We've been waiting nearly a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

First step my arse. We've been waiting nearly a decade.

Seriously, why the tone? The vast majority of teachers can accept that inequality was wrong, the fact that it was left for so long has been divisive. Can we not be happy, even a small bit, for the first time in nearly a decade? Life’s too short to not celebrate the small victories. Anyway, I’ll take my half full glass and head off on my merry way.

It's not a victory. You can't be a little bit equal. TUI have a mandate to strike if LPTs did not get equality so they should use it because equality was not on the table.

Also, not sure why it was pushed out for another 6 months?

• Advertisement

Seriously, why the tone? The vast majority of teachers can accept that inequality was wrong, the fact that it was left for so long has been divisive. Can we not be happy, even a small bit, for the first time in nearly a decade? Life’s too short to not celebrate the small victories. Anyway, I’ll take my half full glass and head off on my merry way.

The tone is because this is worth tens of thousands of euro to me and thousands of other teachers. There’s no little victories in a Fine Gael announcement that signals inequality until 2026, 18 years after our Fianna Fáil inflicted recession began.

Advertisement