Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 223 | IAQUINTA VS KHABIB | SAT. APR. 7, 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,895 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Rose - Submission
    dave1982 wrote: »
    So it is for title both can win belt? Rogan announced Al at 155

I can see them giving him the belt if he wins just to try and normalise events. Thought that missing .2 was strange alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I can see them giving him the belt if he wins just to try and normalise events. Thought that missing .2 was strange alright.

Yeah cause rogan said to him youre main eventing for the title and here watching ariels twitter and hes not mentioned it...strange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

This has been the most mental day. I'm exhausted from the checking twitter/reddit/boards constantly.

Raging Al kos Khabib in the first exchange tomorrow.

Yeah ufc accounts claiming it is for title and both can win it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Joanna - Submission
    Yeah cause rogan said to him youre main eventing for the title and here watching ariels twitter and hes not mentioned it...strange

Ariel Helwani

Verified account

@arielhelwani
    Following Following @arielhelwani
    More
    Rogan announced Iaquinta’s weight as 155. Not the time to round down. That .2 is a big part of this story.

Unless that's hinting at it?

• Advertisement

People are on bout an allowance for his jocks at weigh in

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭miocicmma

Joanna - TKO/KO
    It's only 0.2 lbs :b

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

He weighed in earlier today for his other fight and was 155.2, thats the issue. If he had weighed in at 155 he would have been sorted either way. Because he didnt have to be 155 on the nose for his fight he didnt need to ditch the .2 or do a naked weigh in. NYAC wouldnt let him do a second weigh in so he was stuck at the 155.2. Joe Rogan was making mistakes the whole broadcast so I would take that with a pinch of salt till its properly confirmed.

Dana confirms Al if he wins will be considered LW champion

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/982392194282807296?s=19

Bizarre, thats just a whole other can of worms now because of the .2. Wish it was just a straight forward 155 v 155.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Khabib - Submission
    Dana confirms Al if he wins will be considered LW champion

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/982392194282807296?s=19

Conor is stripped regardless so if Al wins the belt will still be vacant and the UFC can award it to whoever they want. Al would be the top ranked guy because he just beat the top ranked guy.

Conor is stripped regardless so if Al wins the belt will still be vacant and the UFC can award it to whoever they want. Al would be the top ranked guy because he just beat the top ranked guy.

Ufc have tony ranked abive khabib

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Axwell wrote: »
    Bizarre, thats just a whole other can of worms now because of the .2. Wish it was just a straight forward 155 v 155.

Yup, daft but presumably the ultimate arbiter of the titles is the promotion. The titles are ultimately a promotional gimmick.

Oh yeah I know, id just hate for Al to win it and the victory to be tainted by some nonsense about how he didnt make championship weight and all that. Rules are there for a reason and I get fighters have to make weight but in this case he was .2 over for his own fight which was allowed. Had he known he may be stepping in for Max he would have went naked or lost the .2 before weighing in. NYAC were being an ass about it so I am glad sense has prevailed and he gets a shot considering hes saving the event but just feel there will always be the mention of the .2 if he wins as he didnt officially make weight.

In fairness to the NY commission, Iaquinta weighing in again would have been how many hours after the cutoff? From a fighter safety perspective, I understand exactly why they didn't let him. Don't think it was over-officious bureaucratic nonsense or anything.

This might end up setting a bit of a precedent - lads in non title fights further down the card making sure they shave off that last little bit of weight or weighting in behind the towel on the small chance they might suddenly get a call up.

Rose - Submission
    Dana said they weighed his jocks and they were .2 so he is 155. I'd love if that was true.

The cut off wasnt the issue. They were giving Pettis 2 extra hours to go make weight when he weighed in before the cut off. To be fair to him there would be no way anyways that Al would have been 155 if they did try weigh him again, he would have surely started to rehydrate after his own weigh in went fine and would have put a few pounds back on. At the time his name was mentioned everyone on social media including him was saying about his jocks being the extra .2 as he didnt weigh in naked as he didnt need to.

Axwell wrote: »
    The cut off wasnt the issue. They were giving Pettis 2 extra hours to go make weight when he weighed in before the cut off. To be fair to him there would be no way anyways that Al would have been 155 if they did try weigh him again, he would have surely started to rehydrate after his own weigh in went fine and would have put a few pounds back on. At the time his name was mentioned everyone on social media including him was saying about his jocks being the extra .2 as he didnt weigh in naked as he didnt need to.

Pettis surely different though - he hadn't worked in before all the frantic efforts to get the card sorted. He weighed in for the first time at 155.2 and would have had the chance. Iaquinta was done and dusted earlier than that and didn't become a viable candidate for the fight for what, maybe six hours? No way he could weigh in again either from a safety perspective (even if he was still cutting) due to the proximity to the fight and, as you say, his rehydration would have started.

My point is that I don't think it's the commission being arsey about things at all. There's no way he could legitimately weigh in again and hit 155, which we agree on. They're also not to blame for writing him at 155.2 because of the boxers - it's just an unfortunate set of circumstances that to tie everything up nice, that .2 was only identified as being important hours after he weighed in.

Al Iaquinta was posting on social media and in the mix at the exact same time Pettis and Paul Felder were. That all happened before the cut off time. It was only finalised hours later after Pettis couldnt agree terms and the NYAC shot Felder down as being too low a rank, even though he was 155.

As i said above if Al wins id just hope the .2 isnt seen as some excuse to undermine his win and legitimacy to the title.

He may have been posting but everything was pointing at first Pettis and then Felder, no?

I'm not being pernickety, just genuinely interested in where you think the commission erred.

• Advertisement

They wouldnt let him weigh in a second time, i assume as i said he wouldnt have made it but he was looking to weigh in again as far as i know and was refused. They also as Dana pointed out wont see him as champion or it seems sanction it as a title fight. It seems to be Dana and the UFC ignoring them and saying if he wins he is champ. Given the circumstances and the fact he weighed in clothed they could have at the time just weighed his jocks if it came to it and said grand hes eligible at 155 as he would have made 155 had he needed to when he did weigh in.

This is the NYAC, they go out of their way to be awkward considering it took them till recently to allow events at all. The whole Paul Felder thing was daft also, its not like hes some randomer with 1 fight under his belt. Unlikely he had a chance to win but he was willing to step in and they wouldnt let him for what really is a daft reason all things considered.

Rose - Submission
    Jesus. Crazy footage. Also Borg is some shnake, nothing wrong with his eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Joanna - Submission
    Im just waiting for ...

Breaking : bruce buffer has been pulled from ufc 223

Been a mad week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Some interesting reactions to all the madness from Khabib here...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Yeah, gotta say Ray’s claims look a bit questionable after seeing that. Maybe his eyeball has PTS....

Rose - Submission
    theteal wrote: »
    Yeah, gotta say Ray’s claims look a bit questionable after seeing that. Maybe his eyeball has PTS....

He's getting an awful doing on twitter. So is Chiesa but at least he was cut open. I know with the report I was expecting his face to be wrecked with cuts but it was still damage. Ray....hhhmmmm

https://twitter.com/BigMarley3/status/982424917957279744?s=19

Chiesa was pulled by the doctor. A fresh cut would be opened up again instantly in a fight, especially so where his cut is around his nose

Rose - Submission
    theteal wrote: »
    Chiesa was pulled by the doctor. A fresh cut would be opened up again instantly in a fight, especially so where his cut is around his nose

Yupp and fully understandable, can't understand the backlash he's getting.

• Advertisement

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Yupp and fully understandable, can't understand the backlash he's getting.

A general rule we developed when I worked retail (thankfully long in the past) is this:

People are thick as sh!t

Advertisement