Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 223 | IAQUINTA VS KHABIB | SAT. APR. 7, 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Axwell wrote: »
    They wouldnt let him weigh in a second time, i assume as i said he wouldnt have made it but he was looking to weigh in again as far as i know and was refused. They also as Dana pointed out wont see him as champion or it seems sanction it as a title fight. It seems to be Dana and the UFC ignoring them and saying if he wins he is champ. Given the circumstances and the fact he weighed in clothed they could have at the time just weighed his jocks if it came to it and said grand hes eligible at 155 as he would have made 155 had he needed to when he did weigh in.

This is the NYAC, they go out of their way to be awkward considering it took them till recently to allow events at all. The whole Paul Felder thing was daft also, its not like hes some randomer with 1 fight under his belt. Unlikely he had a chance to win but he was willing to step in and they wouldnt let him for what really is a daft reason all things considered.

I disagree. The commission, while tits, have a set of rules, processes and procedures that they have to abide by. It's not their job to flex and bend to help the promotion cover/clean up their cluster ****. Do we know if there had been any request from Iaquinta or the UFC to weigh in again in close proximity to the original one?

Agree on Felder - the reasoning I understand, again down to safety (Las Vegas would have had no problem making it) but Felder is much better and experienced than his (lack of) ranking suggests.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Jesus. Crazy footage. Also Borg is some shnake, nothing wrong with his eye.

Is that secuirty or police just standing round looking at his phone @ 1:42 of the video

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Khabib - Submission
    Jesus. Crazy footage. Also Borg is some shnake, nothing wrong with his eye.

Yup. Plenty of footage there of Borg walking around with these being clearly not a thing wrong with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Khabib - Submission
    Are people really that stupid that they don't know how fine glass particles from a smashed window can be or how long it can take for symptoms of abrasion from particles in your eye to start bothering you?

Plebs: Oh look his eye looks fine and he was wearing glasses, clearly him, the UFC's doctors, the doctors at the hospital and everyone else is lying.

Grow up. Glasses aren't magic shields.

Agreed. Calling Borg a snake of similar on approximately four seconds of footage is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Khabib - Submission
    Are people really that stupid that they don't know how fine glass particles from a smashed window can be or how long it can take for symptoms of abrasion from particles in your eye to start bothering you?

Plebs: Oh look his eye looks fine and he was wearing glasses, clearly him, the UFC's doctors, the doctors at the hospital and everyone else is lying.

Glass like that has been made specifically to shatter rather than smash, to avoid just that type of thing you are implying. You don't get fine fragments of glass from a shattered bus window. It instantly shatters into little square cube like shapes.

Khabib - Submission
    Whelo79 wrote: »
    Glass like that has been made specifically to shatter rather than smash, to avoid just that type of thing you are implying. You don't get fine fragments of glass from a shattered bus window. It instantly shatters into little square cube like shapes.

So why can you clearly see small crystals of glass on Chiesa's face in the embedded videos?

Stop trying to stand up for your team mate by trying to paint the victims of his idiocy as liars. It's utterly pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

That must why noone ever recommends gloves and eye protection when working with, and fitting, glass.

/s

I'd say there's a fair chance Borg is playing it up. Just from what we know about the incident, the lawsuit culture in the US, and particularly the character of his manager.

That doesn't mean he definitely was not injured, none of us know for sure. Anyone who doesn't at least entertain the possibility that he's pulling a fast one is very naive in the ways of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

In a weird way I'm looking forward to the Iaquinta fight more than either of the two main events slated before this one....Al has something that neither Ferguson or Holloway have and thats real ****-off power in his hands....I dont think either ferguson or holloway would have had enough pop on their punches to deter khabib from wading straight into clinch range, but if Khabib tries to close the distance with reckless abandon against Iaquinta I could see Al hurting him.

Now its obviously still a long shot, but I see a more clear path to victory for him than either of the other lads had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Rose - Decision

In general this is correct but there will always be tiny fine shards. I have a family member who works with windscreens and he’s forever getting little glass splinters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Axwell you are a saint for the last few days :) Any chance you could crack down on the conspiracy theories in here?

We can't suggest that a fighter is on steroids but we can say they pulled out of a fight with nothing wrong with them? That's a weird line to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Rose - Decision
    Axwell you are a saint for the last few days :) Any chance you could crack down on the conspiracy theories in here?

Hear, hear.

Some of the flights of fancy guys are going off on are just ridiculous.

John_D80 wrote: »
    Hear, hear.

Some of the flights of fancy guys are going off on are just ridiculous.

Anything to justify/explain away/mitigate/sweep under the rug/lessen the significance of McGregor's actions. A sad state of affairs. Utterly sycophantic nonsense.

Anything to justify/explain away/mitigate/sweep under the rug/lessen the significance of McGregor's actions. A sad state of affairs. Utterly sycophantic nonsense.

I'm open to the possibility that it was a stunt that got out of hand, and that will be capitalised upon, but honest Occams Razor comes into effect here.

If it turns out to be a massive hoax, and we're all being trolled, I'm not believing a thing, ever again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm open to the possibility that it was a stunt that got out of hand, and that will be capitalised upon, but honest Occams Razor comes into effect here.

If it turns out to be a massive hoax, and we're all being trolled, I'm not believing a thing, ever again.

I honestly do think it has got to be a stunt (on his part - not the UFC) that got way out of hand.

It's not like he hopped in a taxi to the venue while worked up.

He literally flew himself and an entire crew across the Atlantic.

Also his conditioning looks excellent at the moment. I do just feel this was quite likely a hype-raising stunt for his next fight that he went too far with.

Exactly. Ever be at a beach, and the wind kicks up some sand, or someone throws a handful of sand at you? Even though you were wearing sunglasses, you can still get **** in your eyes. Or it get's into an eyelash, and it falls in afterwards.

Maybe it's being exaggerated, maybe it's being underplayed, we don't know. But just because his eye didn't go *pop* doesn't mean there isn't an injury.

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    In a weird way I'm looking forward to the Iaquinta fight more than either of the two main events slated before this one....Al has something that neither Ferguson or Holloway have and thats real ****-off power in his hands....I dont think either ferguson or holloway would have had enough pop on their punches to deter khabib from wading straight into clinch range, but if Khabib tries to close the distance with reckless abandon against Iaquinta I could see Al hurting him.

Now its obviously still a long shot, but I see a more clear path to victory for him than either of the other lads had.

Just caught up on Al's Ring of Combat highlights. He does seem to just knock people off the feet. I genuinely hope he puts on a fight.

And he has literally nothing to lose*. Gets paid, gets paid better than he was going to be, could pull off an upset, things could mad for him.

*Not withstanding the injuries from Khabib smash.

We can't suggest that a fighter is on steroids but we can say they pulled out of a fight with nothing wrong with them? That's a weird line to me.
    Nobody pulled out of this fight. They reported injuries and they were pulled as a result. The NSAC don't play around, they pulled Max from the fight because they didn't like the look of it.

I think it's very possible Ali - who can be clearly heard on video saying "im gonna kill that mother****er" sat his guys down and said 'hey when the cops show up lets make a big deal about this, say your eye hurts and ****. We'll teach that mother****er a lesson and sue his ass off'.

Once they did that there was no going back, NSAC pulled them as a precaution, no questions asked. They might not have anticipated that.

I'm not saying that definitely happened. I don't know. But I don't understand why someone would reject the possibility entirely and cry 'conspiracy theories'.

Do you know anything about Ali's character? If you don't, I suggest you do a little research before replying. He's got an incredible shady past - links to extremist groups, convictions for fraud, counterfeiting. He turned informant to avoid some charges. The Americans have tried to deport him multiple times, he's been detained by the Egyptians. I cannot overstate how shady this guy is. He got Frankie and go involved with Kadyrov - he used them as sort of playthings and PR tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Nobody pulled out of this fight. They reported injuries and they were pulled as a result. The NSAC don't play around, they pulled Max from the fight because they didn't like the look of it.

I think it's very possible Ali - who can be clearly heard on video saying "im gonna kill that mother****er" sat his guys down and said 'hey when the cops show up lets make a big deal about this, say your eye hurts and ****. We'll teach that mother****er a lesson and sue his ass off'.

Once they did that there was no going back, NSAC pulled them as a precaution, no questions asked. They might not have anticipated that.

I'm not saying that definitely happened. I don't know. But I don't understand why someone would reject the possibility entirely and cry 'conspiracy theories'.

Do you know anything about Ali's character? If you don't, I suggest you do a little research before replying. He's got an incredible shady past - links to extremist groups, convictions for fraud, counterfeiting. He turned informant to avoid some charges. The Americans have tried to deport him multiple times, he's been detained by the Egyptians. I cannot overstate how shady this guy is. He got Frankie and go involved with Kadyrov - he used them as sort of playthings and PR tools.

I’m lost, Ali??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

akelly02 wrote: »
    I’m lost, Ali??

Khabib's manager.

akelly02 wrote: »
    I’m lost, Ali??
    Ali Abdelaziz – manager of Khabib and Ray Borg. Look for the articles or interviews by Mike Russell.

To be fair, I didn't know about Ali, so that does change things.

To be fair, I didn't know about Ali, so that does change things.
    There have been some good series of articles about the seedier side of combat sports. To be fair many guys over here are no angels and often feature in these articles - particularly in boxing with the Kinahans, MTK etc. Some of the people in Conor's extended entourage are 'alleged' to be young relatives of figures in various crime gangs. (I think that's why he was pissed at Dana for alluding to his drug use)

But Ali takes the cake, he is incredibly shady. I don't have links right now but there have been some very interesting articles about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Why is the poll closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Rose - Submission
    Ali is the only reason I doubt Borg, article seems to be down but he is I've shady scumbag

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/3v97kq/rat_in_a_cage_the_real_story_of_ali_abdel_aziz/

Anyway, if a doc did that test where they put dye in your eye to show up any scratches or abrasions and it shows it, then that is all the proof we need. If no sign of damage but taking the fighter at their word, then I would very much be leaning towards Ali telling him what to do in order to get a big payout. May never know the truth but it's foolish to say that is a conspiracy theory. Also, I don't think anyone (on here) doubting Borg is doing it to take away from what Conor did, it was a coked up knacker thing to do.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

how.gareth wrote: »
    Why is the poll closed?

Because they close automatically a number of days after the moment its setup. You cant set a particular time on it, adding another day would be post event so pointless.

Ali is the only reason I doubt Borg, article seems to be down but he is I've shady scumbag

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/3v97kq/rat_in_a_cage_the_real_story_of_ali_abdel_aziz/
    Yeah, that's one of the articles I recall. You'll find it on archive.org if the links are down. I think it was a 3 parter.

There's also some stuff about him here:
    http://www.fuqrafiles.com/knowledgebase/nypd-informant-ali-abdel-aziz/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

So in the poll Rose and Joanna by TKO is pretty much neck and neck. From the weigh ins last night what do people think of both fighters attitude to the fight?

I thought Rose looked a bit shook and timid, I know shes not the loudest or most brash of fighters but I just thought she was a bit reserved, possibly over the other day. I can really see Joanna going out and getting a dominant victory over here. Hopefully not and Rose is just calm and in her zone and ignoring all the other nonsense as best she can.

Delighted Al gets a shot at the belt and with nothing to lose getting this shot out of nowhere can really see him going for it right from the start. Gonna have to turn the volume down a bit once that one starts with Serra screaming for 5 rounds from the corner.

• Advertisement

Khabib - Submission
    So in the poll Rose and Joanna by TKO is pretty much neck and neck. From the weigh ins last night what do people think of both fighters attitude to the fight?

I thought Rose looked a bit shook and timid, I know shes not the loudest or most brash of fighters but I just thought she was a bit reserved, possibly over the other day. I can really see Joanna going out and getting a dominant victory over here. Hopefully not and Rose is just calm and in her zone and ignoring all the other nonsense as best she can.

I actually think Rose looks less nervous than she was last time around. I hope she wins again because I just find her more likable than Joanna, but I also think Joanna is or should be the favourite going on their records alone. Whatever the outcome I think it should be a good fight.

Delighted Al gets a shot at the belt and with nothing to lose getting this shot out of nowhere can really see him going for it right from the start. Gonna have to turn the volume down a bit once that one starts with Serra screaming for 5 rounds from the corner.

Al's part in this is almost like a real life Rocky storyline. If he pulls it off it will obviously and rightly be parallelled to what his mentor did 11 years ago today, but it might actually be a bigger achievement given Sera had an entire fight camp to train and game plan for a fight with GSP where as Al just took this on a days notice. Whatever comes of it, I hope the UFC are paying him truckloads for taking the fight and bump his standard contract to reflect their gratitude.

Advertisement