Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 223 | IAQUINTA VS KHABIB | SAT. APR. 7, 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Axwell wrote: »
    Because they close automatically a number of days after the moment its setup. You cant set a particular time on it, adding another day would be post event so pointless.

No worries I just wanted to see how badly wrong I get it as usual

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Al's part in this is almost like a real life Rocky storyline. If he pulls it off it will obviously and rightly be parallelled to what his mentor did 11 years ago today, but it might actually be a bigger achievement given Sera had an entire fight camp to train and game plan for a fight with GSP where as Al just took this on a days notice. Whatever comes of it, I hope the UFC are paying him truckloads for taking the fight and bump his standard contract to reflect their gratitude.

When Pettis turned them down it left all the cards in Al's hands, I hope he got a fortune off them. The fact he didnt even have a sign with his name on it the day before and had to make is own is funny, I expect they wont let that happen ever again. Definitely deserves a hike in his standard contract. Whats great about it is he actually has the knockout power to pull off an upset, when Pettis and Felder were also in the mix I couldnt see either of them even getting close to doing any damage to Khabib and both would just get mauled for the entire fight - I had no interest in watching that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Khabib - Submission
    So why can you clearly see small crystals of glass on Chiesa's face in the embedded videos?

Stop trying to stand up for your team mate by trying to paint the victims of his idiocy as liars. It's utterly pathetic.

Team mate?? You're off your rocker buddy! Your hatred of all things McGregor related doesn't allow you a second of rational thought. Show me where you can "clearly see small crystals of glass on Michael Chiesa's face"? I have no doubt whatsoever he was showered in glass and cut by it, that goes without any argument.

I haven't stood up for McGregor once in this situation. I've made one simple claim that Ray Borg is potentially faking his injury. Last nights embedded only added fuel to that claim and there are many, many other people now claiming the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Whelo79 wrote: »
    've made one simple claim that Ray Borg is potentially faking his injury. Last nights embedded only added fuel to that claim and there are many, many other people now claiming the same.

Elaborate on that please. He was on screen for a matter of seconds. What, because he wasn't rolling around on the floor screaming in agony that "only adds fuel to the claim" that he's faking injury, despite the fact there's no actual evidence to suggest it other than people moaning on the internet?!

Khabib - Submission
    Exactly. Ever be at a beach, and the wind kicks up some sand, or someone throws a handful of sand at you? Even though you were wearing sunglasses, you can still get **** in your eyes. Or it get's into an eyelash, and it falls in afterwards.

Maybe it's being exaggerated, maybe it's being underplayed, we don't know. But just because his eye didn't go *pop* doesn't mean there isn't an injury.

I have zero problem with that. I have never said Borg is definitely pulling a fast one. All I have done is entertained the idea and put forward some reasons why I believe it to be a possibility. However some people who know everything are adamant that it is not a possibility at all.

• Advertisement

Khabib - Submission
    Elaborate on that please. He was on screen for a matter of seconds. What, because he wasn't rolling around on the floor screaming in agony that "only adds fuel to the claim" that he's faking injury, despite the fact there's no actual evidence to suggest it other than people moaning on the internet?!

Elaborate? He was seen on screen twice, once still on the bus and once in a holding room after the bus when Dana is talking to them. Both times he is standing around in a manner to me which says he has no physical problems. If I get a bit of dust, a hair or an eyelash in my eye I know about it instantly. My eye irritates, it waters, goes bloodshot. Fortunately I have never had the displeasure of having a shard/splinter/fragrant of glass stuck in my eye, but I can only imagine it is of at least similar discomfort to dust/hair.

Why can't you think there is any plausibility behind this? He tweeted directly after the attack, no mention of any injury. He is seen twice after the incident with no obvious sign of discomfort. 5 hours later it is reported that he has gone to hospital as he is unable to open his eyes. His earlier tweet has been deleted. He has a history of missing weight. This incident may have upset his planned routine and he fell behind target in his weight cut, or he may have already been struggling with his weight cut and seen a good way out. And finally his Manager is Ali who has the shadiest of histories and is also Khabib's manager.

Enough elaboration?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Rose - Submission
    Amazing to think that after all this weeks madness its still a sellout for tonights ppv.

Fair play to the UFC for pulling this off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Rose - TKO/KO
    So in the poll Rose and Joanna by TKO is pretty much neck and neck. From the weigh ins last night what do people think of both fighters attitude to the fight?

I thought Rose looked a bit shook and timid, I know shes not the loudest or most brash of fighters but I just thought she was a bit reserved, possibly over the other day. I can really see Joanna going out and getting a dominant victory over here. Hopefully not and Rose is just calm and in her zone and ignoring all the other nonsense as best she can.

Delighted Al gets a shot at the belt and with nothing to lose getting this shot out of nowhere can really see him going for it right from the start. Gonna have to turn the volume down a bit once that one starts with Serra screaming for 5 rounds from the corner.
    Rose looks to be feeling the pressure a bit and Joanna focused and determined.
    Think Joanna will win back the belt.

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Elaborate? He was seen on screen twice, once still on the bus and once in a holding room after the bus when Dana is talking to them. Both times he is standing around in a manner to me which says he has no physical problems. If I get a bit of dust, a hair or an eyelash in my eye I know about it instantly. My eye irritates, it waters, goes bloodshot. Fortunately I have never had the displeasure of having a shard/splinter/fragrant of glass stuck in my eye, but I can only imagine it is of at least similar discomfort to dust/hair.

Why can't you think there is any plausibility behind this? He tweeted directly after the attack, no mention of any injury. He is seen twice after the incident with no obvious sign of discomfort. 5 hours later it is reported that he has gone to hospital as he is unable to open his eyes. His earlier tweet has been deleted. He has a history of missing weight. This incident may have upset his planned routine and he fell behind target in his weight cut, or he may have already been struggling with his weight cut and seen a good way out. And finally his Manager is Ali who has the shadiest of histories and is also Khabib's manager.

Enough elaboration?

Gotcha. That's a load of rubbish, but gotcha. Ray Borg has missed weight so he's looking an easy excuse to get paid and not have to make weight or fight. His manager is Khabib's manager. What does that even mean ffs?! How does Ali Abdelaziz, dodgy ****er that he is, being Khabib's manager too, offer any EVIDENCE of Borg faking injury? I'll give you a clue. The answer is none whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Rose - Submission
    So in the poll Rose and Joanna by TKO is pretty much neck and neck. From the weigh ins last night what do people think of both fighters attitude to the fight?

I think Rose is her usual self, as said already, looks even calmer this time imo. Joanna definitely looks to have had a better weight cut than last time so I don't think it will be as easy for Rose this time. I picked Rose by KO but I think she'll get the sub this time, by the 3rd if I was a betting man.

Bringing the kid on stage and going on about fighting for all those without hope felt very forced, like she was trying to win back fans with what she said about Rose last time.

Let's go Rose!

As for Al, I don't have a ****ing clue what's going to happen in the fight and I can't wait to watch and find out. Will be absolutely beaming if he wins but could easily turn into another 25 minutes of leg humping and pillow fisting :)

• Advertisement

Khabib - Submission
    Gotcha. That's a load of rubbish, but gotcha. Ray Borg has missed weight so he's looking an easy excuse to get paid and not have to make weight or fight. His manager is Khabib's manager. What does that even mean ffs?! How does Ali Abdelaziz, dodgy ****er that he is, being Khabib's manager too, offer any EVIDENCE of Borg faking injury? I'll give you a clue. The answer is none whatsoever.

What's your issue with the possibility? There is every possibility this could be what happened. I've never stated I was providing 'EVIDENCE'. Like I said yesterday, it's some facts, speculation and conjecture thrown together.

Is McGregors actions the reason why Borg has pulled out of the fight? Yes.

Is glass in the eye the reason why Borg has pulled out? Unknown.

I'll be finished discussing this issue any further anyway, time to talk about the actual fights that are going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

When you make a big claim the onus is on you to prove it.

Maybe he didn't fancy fighting this weekend, and used it as a convenient way to get out of it and get paid, but you have to accept the decision to pull him was a legitimate one unless you prove otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

Rose - Decision
    Going for Al by ko and Rose by sub within the first 2 rounds

There are possibilities of many, many things. Not too many appear to feel the need to postulate about them and connect them connect them to the events of Thursday. For example, I could suggest that it's possible that Artem went to his room after the run in with Khabib, found his manhood so badly shaken they he couldn't face his fight with Cáceres, phoned up McGregor in the middle of the night and begged him to come to New York and save him by attacking Khabib and getting him pulled from the card. WHY ISN'T ANYONE ACCEPTING THIS AS A POSSIBILITY?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

There are possibilities of many, many things. Not too many appear to feel the need to postulate about them and connect them connect them to the events of Thursday. For example, I could suggest that it's possible that Artem went to his room after the run in with Khabib, found his manhood so badly shaken they he couldn't face his fight with Cáceres, phoned up McGregor in the middle of the night and begged him to come to New York and save him by attacking Khabib and getting him pulled from the card. WHY ISN'T ANYONE ACCEPTING THIS AS A POSSIBILITY?!

I've seen that argument broached more or less:P

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

First fight isn't until 1am Ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

For god sake lads give over. We've heard this being repeated ad nauseam for the last 24 hours and nothing is being added to it. It's hardly a career ending injury either way.

Back to the actual fights...I really hope Rose and Al can pull off a serious win. That would make all the BS surrounding this week easier to swallow. Also looking forward to Lauzon and Zabit fighting. They always give a good scrap regardless of their opponents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 danielktdoran

Sure this has been asked but I don’t want to read through 48 pages of comments to find an answer...

How does one watch UFC 223 live?

Sure this has been asked but I don’t want to read through 48 pages of comments to find an answer...

How does one watch UFC 223 live?

Turn on BT Sport in the middle of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Does anyone want to hazard a guess where along the card the night will be at about 3am?

• Advertisement

Does anyone want to hazard a guess where along the card the night will be at about 3am?

Beginning of the ppv.

Beginning of the ppv.

Ta, have a birthday to attend, need to plan for the late one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,863 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Rose - Submission

Delighted Al gets a shot at the belt and with nothing to lose getting this shot out of nowhere can really see him going for it right from the start. Gonna have to turn the volume down a bit once that one starts with Serra screaming for 5 rounds from the corner.
    Would be some craic if he won it also given like serra he's skipped the queue albeit a bit differently to how serra got his shot

I'm keeping the faith with Rose, think she might have a psychological edge given how easy she got it done first time
    I think if jj gets clipped her confidence will fade quickly

mailburner wrote: »
    Would be some craic if he won it also given like serra he's skipped the queue albeit a bit differently to how serra got his shot

I'm keeping the faith with Rose, think she might have a psychological edge given how easy she got it done first time
    I think if jj gets clipped her confidence will fade quickly

Yeah, I think JJ knows now she's not invincible. There's bound to be a bit of fear there.

Will she be able to control it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Khabib - Submission

Jesus would you look at that. Foreign body removed form eye. Corneal abrasion. I guess the doctors from Brooklyn Methodist Hospital are in on the scam too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Rose - Submission

“Foreign body removed from eye” - that must be the glass Ali told him to pop into his eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,863 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Rose - Submission
    Yeah, I think JJ knows now she's not invincible. There's bound to be a bit of fear there.

Will she be able to control it?

I'm guessing that same rose will take jj so no for me

mailburner wrote: »
    I'm guessing that same rose will take jj so no for me

Especially as JJ seems to have went on a bit of a blame frenzy after the last fight. If she hasn't worked on where she got caught, she could get caught again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Rose - Submission
    Imagine Al does it lads ? Been thinking of it all day.

Advertisement