Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 223 | IAQUINTA VS KHABIB | SAT. APR. 7, 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Rose - Submission
    Reckon Ferguson will be put out of title contention now. See him vs Alverez as the next match up.

Huge night for Iaquinta and Felder. Has fight of the night written all over it for me. Really looking forward to that fight besides the two title fights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Rose - TKO/KO
    Meh one of the most anticipated fights in a long time and it gets cancelled yet again for the 4th time now.
    The only way I ever see this fight happening is when neither of them are no longer top contenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Whos next for title shot, will it be Tony?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Joanna - Submission
    dave1982 wrote: »
    Whos next for title shot, will it be Tony?

Not a chance. With McGregor consistently whispering in Dana's ear about how he's a serial bailer? He'll be lucky to get anything near a title shot for a long while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Khabib - Submission
    If Tony needs surgery he'll be out for the rest of the year I'd say.

If he's out that long I'd imagine he'll need a fight or two before they start talking bout him getting a title fight again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭xtal191

Rose - Decision

Rose - Decision
    #2HungryHungryFighters :rolleyes:

Really liked how Max Holloway handled Kabib and his Krew in the hotel gym on latest Embedded... preempted this type of melodrama, was classy, cool, professional and deflective... was that staged or was this s*^tshow?

EDIT
    Too funny - just saw Max quote this on an interview somewhere https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doqS35FfcUE
    So hands up who hasn't done this in a gym ever? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

This was exactly the reason why I said they wouldn't strip McGregor before now.

cliggg wrote: »
    George Lockhart on Max's weight cut "this is literally tied with the biggest cut I’ve ever done. It’s the exact same number as the biggest cut that I’ve ever done in my life."
    I find that hard to believe tbh. He's no doubt puts on a bit extra during his time off. But to be the biggest cut ever, he'd need to be somewhere north of 180. I don't think he's that much bigger walking around his week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭creeper1

Khabib - Submission
    You have to feel for Tony. Such a consistent string of results and injured promoting a fight that needed no promotion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Khabib - Submission
    creeper1 wrote: »
    You have to feel for Tony. Such a consistent string of results and injured promoting a fight that needed no promotion.

While the trip might have caused the injury it's not the reason the injury occurred in my opinion. I've no doubt his body was pushed to its limits in training camp and this injury was inevitable. History shows he is not the smartest trainer, wether it comes to horrendous deadlifting technique or kicking metal posts.

I doubt we are hearing the true story regarding Tony's injury. For an athlete to "tear his ligament off the bone" due to a trip at walking pace sounds very odd.

I suspect Max isn't coming into this fight on as short a notice as is being claimed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Iaquinta - TKO/KO
    Who was the last wrestler he fought ? was it Bermudez who beat him ?
    Am i forgetting about someone ?

Lamas has a base as a wrestler. He fought Bermudez right before he fought Conor 5 years ago. He's a whole different level now than then of course.

Khabib - Submission
    I doubt we are hearing the true story regarding Tony's injury. For an athlete to "tear his ligament off the bone" due to a trip at walking pace sounds very odd.

I suspect Max isn't coming into this fight on as short a notice as is being claimed.

I'd say how it actually happened is true, but it was probably like a loaded gun just waiting for something innocuous to set it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Joanna - Submission
    To tear a ligament in your knee you really need to bend it badly in the wrong direction. I over flexed mine in a bad tackle situation last year and had a slight tear only, managed to get back for a final a couple of weeks later. I find it hard to believe someone with the muscle mass and support that Tony has just fell on it and it tore completely. Something smells there.

Khabib - Submission
    .ak wrote: »
    To tear a ligament in your knee you really need to bend it badly in the wrong direction. I over flexed mine in a bad tackle situation last year and had a slight tear only, managed to get back for a final a couple of weeks later. I find it hard to believe someone with the muscle mass and support that Tony has just fell on it and it tore completely. Something smells there.

Not for a lateral ligament. It can happen from repeated strain/stress causing it to lose elasticity. If he has been doing lots of work on lateral movement (side to side) or sprint work with sharp stops and turns it can all have an effect. Also I'd presume he has been working hard on submissions off his back so if he has repeatedly been contorting his knee to get triangles etc this can all have a week and tear effect.

Rose - TKO/KO
    I cant change my vote ? I think Holloway will get the win via decision and fight McGregor later in the year.

That Ferguson injury just doesnt sit with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Rose - Submission
    Gamb!t wrote: »
    I cant change my vote ? I think Holloway will get the win via decision and fight McGregor later in the year.

You implying that it's scripted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Inviere

Joanna - Submission
    Gamb!t wrote: »

Will Max stay at LW though, should he somehow win this? I can't really see it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Rose - Submission

I'm with this, sort of, i don't think Max knew until the other day he was fighting, but i reckon he's been keeping himself in top shape, knowing full well that there was a high chance of a withdrawal and that he was probably only candidate as no way would Mcducker be allowed to take it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I know the benefit of hindsight and all but looking at this video I can't believe Tony doesn't get injured more, some mad stuff in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Also would cutting weight have anything to do with it? He weighs around 200 pounds and he's been cutting down to 155 regularly for the last 6-7 years, that can't be good for anybody can it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Here's that bear clip briefly shown in Embedded............

https://twitter.com/robinblackmma/status/981527206471045120

Scripted is a strong word but I think the UFC definitely try to engineer certain outcomes that are more profitable for them. That's only logical since they are a business.

For an ordinary fight they might they might call their preferred guy on 8 weeks notice and inform him of the intended opponent. They call the opponent on 6 weeks notice.

Or they might put their preferred guys training partners on the same card so everybody is in sync. They put the opponents training partners on a card a few weeks before so they're out of sync, on medical suspension etc.

Clearly these type of things are not always going to work, the fights can be turned down etc but I definitely think they use shenanigans to try to manipulate lucrative fighters into the best spots. They desire certain outcomes and are in a strong position to stack the deck towards those outcomes. Everything bar actual fight fixing.

Khabib - Submission

Lmfao. And they grow up together? So this S.O.B could literally wrestle an adult bear?

Khabib - Submission
    I watched an interview with Eddie Alvarez and what he is saying is basically Max Holloway has very little chance.

Apparently the difference between a fighter with a full camp behind him and one taking a fight on short notice is huge.

Still I have a feeling max with give a spirited performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Rose - Decision
    The UFC have cancelled Khabibs media for the day because they can't find him! Has to be one of the strangest fights weeks in a long time.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mymmanews/status/981550070800769025?s=21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Rose - Submission

The bears takedown defence is unbelievable. Does it have it's teeth and claws removed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Iaquinta - TKO/KO
    kwestfan08 wrote: »
    The UFC have cancelled Khabibs media for the day because they can't find him! Has to be one of the strangest fights weeks in a long time.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mymmanews/status/981550070800769025?s=21

ha! top comment: "The Lobovs send their regards"

• Advertisement

Rose - TKO/KO
    Wouldnt be surprised if it was.

Advertisement