Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 223 | IAQUINTA VS KHABIB | SAT. APR. 7, 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

miocicmma wrote: »
    World class performance from Khabib. Finally The UFC have a Lightweight championship who is worthy of the belt. I feel the UFC commentary are  overly critically of Khabib, All this vulnerability crap? Khabib won every round, dominated in the ground and striking with the jab.
    can't tell if you're being a WUM

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

Deadst4r wrote: »
    World class performance from Khabib. Finally The UFC have a Lightweight championship who is worthy of the belt. I feel the UFC commentary are  overly critically of Khabib, All this vulnerability crap? Khabib won every round, dominated in the ground and striking with the jab.
    I guess an easy way of establishing this was whether you think Stipioc did a good job vs. Francois?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Rose - Submission
    Zero-Cool wrote: »

How does gsp make 155lb in the real world?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭miocicmma

Joanna - TKO/KO
    I think Khabib should fight on the Moscow card in September, a few opponents he could face, Alvarez, Holloway or Lee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Wow.. That was disappointing.. As much as I've grown to dislike McGregor, he KO's him inside 2.

Joanna - TKO/KO
    Zero-Cool wrote: »

I don't think you will see McGregor fight in the UFC for at least another year, if ever. It depends on the outcome of his trial in June, how long of a ban the UFC will impose.

Joanna - TKO/KO

Floyd might not be able to read. But even he's not stupid enough to fight in MMA.
    It's all self promotion, Mayweather is trying to keep his name in spotlight. nothing more.

Joanna - TKO/KO
    Deadst4r wrote: »

People are very easily influenced by the opinion of the commentators, unable to form their own opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Rose - Submission
    Dana said he talked to Conor yesterday and it was good. Said worse things happen in other sports, he'd take a dolly through a window any day.

Gotta love Dana :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Caught the last two fights after work. Womens fight was a great display of smooth striking. Iaquinta went up in the rankings in my book. Probably the only fighter to climb the ladder after a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

If people watched that Khabib performance and think he's the goat or anything close, you're blind. The dude trips over his feet when striking and for all of his dominance can't finish. He's good but he ain't that good. Cardio looked suspect too against a guy who has another job. The more i see the worse he looks and the more video he gives opponents because he has no finish.

Someone is going to stop that takedown and either sleep him (McGregor) or drown him (Max/Ferguson)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ChrisM

Joanna - Submission
    Fromvert wrote: »
    If people watched that Khabib performance and think he's the goat or anything close, you're blind. The dude trips over his feet when striking and for all of his dominance can't finish. He's good but he ain't that good. Cardio looked suspect too against a guy who has another job. The more i see the worse he looks and the more video he gives opponents because he has no finish.

Someone is going to stop that takedown and either sleep him (McGregor) or drown him (Max/Ferguson)

I think Nurmagedov looks beatable and invincible all at the same time. He has the sloppiest stand-up in the UFC, but he usually keeps it relatively tight until he has mauled his opponent first.
    Lee and Ferguson would take rounds and land at will but is that enough?
    I think Max would have folded after a few rounds. Al is a much bigger guy and more durable.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭creeper1

Khabib - Submission
    “Thatdagestanilookedlikedogs****e”

It seems posters here are repeating the infamous tweet but in more polite language.

Khabib claimed he could take on Tony and Conor in one night if only the ufc would’ve allowed it.

He’s overestimating his cardio based on that performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Rose - Decision
    People are very easily influenced by the opinion of the commentators, unable to form their own opinion.

Or maybe they just happen to agree.

I watched it with commentary in a language I didn’t understand. Sounded Eastern European.

Without any influence from commentators I thought Khabib looked very one dimensional and very beatable for someone like McGregor or even Holloway.

Rose - Submission
    The only thing disappointing about his performance was how he struggled to takedown his opponent that is what he should be worried about coming away from that fight.
    He was landing the jab for fun with his hands down against a very heavy handed fighter I found that impressive if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Lads seem to be getting carried away with a get the job done performance by Khabib. Its like ye have never seen how things can go when there is a late stand in, feck it then another even later stand in!

Wouldn't be wise to read too much into this imo, Khabib just went out there and did what he had to do. A fight v Holloway, Ferguson, McGregor, would more than likely be a totally different match, even if probably not a different decision.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,011 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Unimpressed with Khabib abandoning his gameplan from the third round on.

Have to assume he injured something.

If he decides to stand against Conor, he gets knocked out.

Rose definitely won the fight three rounds to two, but those judges scores were mental.

Khabib looked about as I expected. Very good on the ground, very poor on the feet. Overall an overrated guy with a largely padded record. Some good wins of course but not enough against top guys to explain the bizarre hype surrounding him.

Anybody who thinks he was having striking success against Al doesn't understand Al's gameplan.

I think Khabib can for sure take Conor down and dominate him on the ground, Conor would get finished in many of the positions which Al survived. But I think Conor can just as likely knock him out. Every round starts standing, I would give Conor the nod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Any indication as to why Khabib wanted a stand-up fight from round 3? Injured or did he just want to get a 5 rounder under his belt? It was very much a job done performance. Al appeared to like blocking jabs with his face. I can't imagine the UFC have a lot of love for Khabib being their LW champ, his fight style (for all it's effectiveness) isn't going to put bums on seats

Also a bit disappoint that DC wasn't commentating on "THUG ROSE" again. She won well, very professional, Joanna was 2nd guessing herself the whole fight.

theteal wrote: »
    AAl appeared to like blocking jabs with his face.
    Al wanted to keep the fight standing. While it's an oversimplification to say he was "letting" Khabib punch him in the face, he was inviting striking exchanges and he was quite willing to take the odd jab if they landed.

His gameplan didn't work (obviously) but you could see clearly what he was up to. Encourage as much standup exchanges as possible, even if that meant letting Khabib have a little success. He was looking for a good counter which never really came.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Khabib looked about as I expected. Very good on the ground, very poor on the feet. Overall an overrated guy with a largely padded record. Some good wins of course but not enough against top guys to explain the bizarre hype surrounding him.

Anybody who thinks he was having striking success against Al doesn't understand Al's gameplan.

I think Khabib can for sure take Conor down and dominate him on the ground, Conor would get finished in many of the positions which Al survived. But I think Conor can just as likely knock him out. Every round starts standing, I would give Conor the nod.

Thank christ im not the only who thinks this... his record is average at best.

For me conor wins 8 times out of 10

And nice again to see dana hand yet another fighter a belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Rose - Submission
    Is khabib a draw?

For all his dominance he never seems to finish anyone.

I can appreciate hes good at what he does but those first two rounds while he had iaquinta in some tricky positions i never felt iaqinta was in danger of being stopped. Just a case of whether he would be able to get up or stay there until the round ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Al could do with a few boxing lessons from Rose. Khabibs jab was nothing special but he walked into it all night. The few times he moved his head off the centre line he dodged them with ease.

World class performance from Khabib. Finally The UFC have a Lightweight championship who is worthy of the belt. I feel the UFC commentary are overly critically of Khabib, All this vulnerability crap? Khabib won every round, dominated in the ground and striking with the jab.

Came in to say similar about the commentary. You'd think it was about 3-1 in rounds with a draw thrown in if you weren't watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Rose - Submission
    Khabib would maul mcnuggets. Looked like he took rounds 3 and 4 off to catch a breather and still dominated on his feet.

Finally the ufc has a lightweight champion who fights with honour.

WAR KHABIB !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

ricero wrote: »
    Khabib would maul mcnuggets. Looked like he took rounds 3 and 4 off to catch a breather and still dominated on his feet.

Finally the ufc has a lightweight champion who fights with honour.

WAR KHABIB !

How does one fight with honour? By getting sponsored by Chechen warlords? By endorsing events that make kids fight in MMA? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Joanna - Submission
    Only way im staying up for a bore fest Khabib again is if its against Tony or Conor. Absolutely no questioning that Khabib is a beast when he takes his opponent down but thats it. Every other aspect to his fighting is very poor.

The commentators sounded embarrassed at one stage when Khabib was leaving his chin out. Not what they expect from champ.

Hard luck to Al. I feel he could have faired better if he strung a few combos together.

Regarding anyone VS Khabib......If they can weather the storm for the first 2 rounds they greatly increase their chances of beating him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

twinytwo wrote: »

And nice again to see dana hand yet another fighter a belt.

It was a title fight. Why wouldn't he had him a belt? It was a title fight.
    Khabib doesn't stop being a title challanger because Tony gets injured.

I watched it in a noisey pub. Rugby and golf both on. Didn't hear any commentary. So I can say that Rogan (or whoever you're referring to) had zero influence on me.
    Khabib won a dominant 5 round fight. I backed him to do so. But he didn't look impressive overall. Max, Tony or Conor would all connect with him hard.
    He would also those 3 down and suck the soul out if them. But everytime they get back up, Khabib is in danger on the feet.

Champions should finish guys outside the top 10 imo. Al is 11th or 12th.

Advertisement