Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rear discharge deck Baffles - baffling !!

Options
  • 02-04-2018 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hi

I've a scag 36" walk behind mower. It has a rear discharge deck. This may have been a side discharge originally.

Anyway, from the picture you can see the divider baffle between the blades has a piece cut out of it. So it's not the same height across the deck .

Is it supposed to be like this, or is this wear and tear. ??

I was going to put a new baffle the same height all across but wondering now is there a reason for the step in height of this baffle.

Any advice what to do??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

It isn't rear discharge because the blades are both going in the same direction.

The baffle is probably there to get the best air flow under the deck so grass from the left hand blade (looking from top) can be passed to the right hand side before going out the chute (when its not been welded over that is).

On a rear discharge deck the blade on the left hand side goes clockwise and the right hand side goes counterclockwise (again looking from above) so the grass gets pushed to the back of the mower.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭abnormalnorman

my3cents wrote: »
    It isn't rear discharge because the blades are both going in the same direction.

The baffle is probably there to get the best air flow under the deck so grass from the left hand blade (looking from top) can be passed to the right hand side before going out the chute (when its not been welded over that is).

On a rear discharge deck the blade on the left hand side goes clockwise and the right hand side goes counterclockwise (again looking from above) so the grass gets pushed to the back of the mower.

thank you. so , what would be the best solution in modifying this deck so it works best? The way it is at the moment, it gets clogged up. Should I make this centre baffle the full height all the way across, and leave it rear discharge, or should i remove this baffle all together , and re-open the side discharge hole, and let it work side-discharge again? But , if i do try to make it side discharge again, am i not missing some baffles at the rear of the blades? It doesn't matter to me if its side or rear discharge, once it cuts good and easy.

Or, should i cut away all the baffles, and cut the side discharge hole also?

Look up the cost of replacing the discharge chute and any associated fittings first.

If its not too expensive then I would go back to side discharge.

Additonally the baffle may also allow that area of the cut to develop the maximum lift and as well as mentioned help the movement of the grass. Without it left and right blades may create air and grass movement that clogs up the deck more. I don't think it has to be a full baffle but just big enough to get the right sort of air and grass movement.

In a test environment in the factory I expect they have worked out the best size for the baffle so I doubt there is much to be gained by changing it.

Look up the cost of replacing the discharge chute and any associated fittings first.

Thanks. Who would have these for me?

Thanks. Who would have these for me?

Sorry over here (as in not UK where I cut a lot of grass) I don't know who the stockists are.

Google gives http://jbannonlawnmowers.ie/contact-us/ in Limerick as the only agents. Also one in NI.

The part number seems to be 36 46725 Discharge Chute (36 is just the deck size). Could be expensive? Plastic ones for other models off ebay are about €50 plus taxes and postage from the US so I doubt you'll get one for less than €100 but you never know. You may also need the two nuts, two bolts and a spring to attach the chute.

You don't actually need the genuine chute you could if you are handy fabricate a metal one.

A bit of googling (please don't take my word for this check yourself) indicates that part number 46725 has been replaced by part number 461291 plenty available in the US $50-60 plus delivery, VAT and admin charges.

What I would do is phone up the agents here and ask for the price of part 461291 and if it fits your SWZ 36A 15KA. Dealers often won't quote part numbers to stop you going off and googling the part number and getting it cheaper but if you ask about specific part numbers to start with you can often get the correct part number out of them if you have the wrong one.

Think I'm right about the part number however, check also this useful document https://bidopportunities.iowa.gov/Home/ShowContractDocument/26a1cc7f-ec25-e711-80f5-005056b4593f.

• Advertisement

Sorry over here (as in not UK where I cut a lot of grass) I don't know who the stockists are.

Google gives http://jbannonlawnmowers.ie/contact-us/ in Limerick as the only agents. Also one in NI.

The part number seems to be 36 46725 Discharge Chute (36 is just the deck size). Could be expensive? Plastic ones for other models off ebay are about €50 plus taxes and postage from the US so I doubt you'll get one for less than €100 but you never know. You may also need the two nuts, two bolts and a spring to attach the chute.

You don't actually need the genuine chute you could if you are handy fabricate a metal one.

A bit of googling (please don't take my word for this check yourself) indicates that part number 46725 has been replaced by part number 461291 plenty available in the US $50-60 plus delivery, VAT and admin charges.

What I would do is phone up the agents here and ask for the price of part 461291 and if it fits your SWZ 36A 15KA. Dealers often won't quote part numbers to stop you going off and googling the part number and getting it cheaper but if you ask about specific part numbers to start with you can often get the correct part number out of them if you have the wrong one.

Think I'm right about the part number however, check also this useful document https://bidopportunities.iowa.gov/Home/ShowContractDocument/26a1cc7f-ec25-e711-80f5-005056b4593f.

Thanks very much my3cents, for all your help.

Would i not also need additional baffles, as well as the chute?

OK so looking at your picture again that looks well messed up and it looks a little to modified to me?

I think someone may have really carved up that deck and changed the way it works.

You shouldn't have most of those baffles unless you fit the mulching kit this is how a deck for side discharge looks http://www.scag.com/swz.html middle graphic and then the mulch kit can be seen at https://www.sohars.com/brand/scag/accessories/mulch-kits/9263/

None of them are open anyway at the back like yours is.

I'd want to see the underside of a similar deck to yours unmodified to be confident of what needs changing. As it is I can make a guess but I think it would need a good bit of cutting and welding to get the deck back the way it should be.

OK so looking at your picture again that looks well messed up and it looks a little to modified to me?

I think someone may have really carved up that deck and changed the way it works.

You shouldn't have most of those baffles unless you fit the mulching kit this is how a deck for side discharge looks http://www.scag.com/swz.html middle graphic and then the mulch kit can be seen at https://www.sohars.com/brand/scag/accessories/mulch-kits/9263/

None of them are open anyway at the back like yours is.

I'd want to see the underside of a similar deck to yours unmodified to be confident of what needs changing. As it is I can make a guess but I think it would need a good bit of cutting and welding to get the deck back the way it should be.

Thanks again. See one here i came across which appears to be the same as mine.

Sorry. . .. with picture this time.

Sorry. . .. with picture this time.

Yeah I'd seen it when you posted it before but sorry I dismissed it because I didn't really think it looked like what I expected to see on scag deck.

I just wonder if someone was modifying them at some time?

But could be OEM.

About the only thing you can do is ask scag themselves send them an email. Include the model, serial number and pictures of the machine. Just ask is that how it left the factory and if not what it should look like.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'd seen it when you posted it before but sorry I dismissed it because I didn't really think it looked like what I expected to see on scag deck.

I just wonder if someone was modifying them at some time?

But could be OEM.

About the only thing you can do is ask scag themselves send them an email. Include the model, serial number and pictures of the machine. Just ask is that how it left the factory and if not what it should look like.

Will do. I spoke to them before but they said they didnt do scag 36" rear discharge, and that they were bein modified in the uk!

thanks a mill

just one thing - what does OEM stand for?

Will do. I spoke to them before but they said they didnt do scag 36" rear discharge, and that they were bein modified in the uk!

thanks a mill

just one thing - what does OEM stand for?

OEM Original Equipment Manufacturer.

OK makes sense if there was someone modifying them.

Just looking around the web to see who might have modified abnormalnormans Scag mower deck and came up with these this site ahttp://www.rtmachinery.co.uk/used.htm . From their used mower list you can see that they have for sale rear discharge Scag machines that they say they sold originally so perhaps if they didn't modify them themselves they have the info on who did.

Just looking around the web to see who might have modified abnormalnormans Scag mower deck and came up with these this site ahttp://www.rtmachinery.co.uk/used.htm . From their used mower list you can see that they have for sale rear discharge Scag machines that they say they sold originally so perhaps if they didn't modify them themselves they have the info on who did.

That's great work. Thanks so much. I'll follow that up. Will.let you know how I get on

my3cents, would you believe i contacted rtmachinery, and they gave me a contact name, and got in contact with the person who actually modifies them!
    Crowd called STM - http://www.st-mach.com/

Sent me on a picture of a newly done one, and said they should work fine. Iv to make mine look like his , which should not be too bad.

see new pic attached.
    thanks a million for all your help.

Advertisement