Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man City v Liverpool, Champions League QF - both legs

• 03-04-2018 3:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

1st leg - Anfield, Wed 4th April 7.45pm
    2nd leg - Etihad, Tues 10th April 7.45pm

Easily the biggest games of the year so far, doesn't need any hyping really to be honest.

In the Blue corner we have the english league champions in waiting. In the red corner we have the team with renowned european pedigree. Both teams not exactly shy about attacking as their last two meetings will testify.

We have two star players in red hot form contesting for POTY, Salah v De Bruyne.

We have two of the best european managers around.

What more can you ask for?

Put the popcorn in the microwave, beer in the fridge, have the pizza delivery on speed dial, send the kids to their friends place for sleepovers, and get ready to rumble!!!!

It's gonna be epic.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Not often I get excited about football these days, especially games not involving my own team, but I can’t see how this won’t be a great spectacle.

Champions League QF is where it really begins and where fans start believing they have a genuine chance of winning it. And all the teams left it in now have a chance, although some will need more luck than others.

Have a feeling Liverpool will be a match for City here. I think VVD has made them more solid and confident at the back. I predict Liverpool to go through.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I hope Liverpool can take a lead of some kind into the second leg. City aren't unbeatable, but they are really, really good. Liverpool will need to be on their game for all of both legs to go through. I think it'll be a little cagier than most people expect, but there should still be a decent amount of goals.

If pushed for a realistic prediction, I'll go 2-2 first leg, 3-1 second leg, so city to go through. I'm hoping for something like 3-1 in the first leg though. I can't see city not scoring at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Should be a great two legs. I'd expect city to go through. Although i think the first leg being at anfield gives liverpool a chance. If they could take a lead to the etihad the away leg would play right into liverpools game plan. No doubt if salah scores or kdb assists or scores we will have to read endless posts saying that's why he should be POTY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I fancy Liverpool to go through here. Should be two cracking games though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Over 2 legs ,City are definitely the favs ,better squad and better bench which could be the fine margin that takes it.Likely a scored draw tomorrow night and City to take it at home .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

10 on 10 for the OP.

Let's just say I can't see a drab 0-0 tomorrow night that's for sure! Should be epic and hopefully close over the two legs, there is a niggle at the back of my mind that City could run away with it,they are so very good.

To keep the boxing analogies going from the OP I hope we see a toe to toe slugfest with haymakers being thrown and landed by both sides.

• As much as I hate City, I hate Liverpool more
    If one is to go out of the competition please make it Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    As much as I hate City, I hate Liverpool more

Then City to go out in the next round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

City should win. this will be won or lost in midfield and just how much pressure Liverpool can consistently put on City's midfield, and therefore backline.

Silva is playing this game. he wasn't in the 4-3 win for Liverpool. his inclusion is massive.

if City can get around Liverpool's press, this could be some hiding.

if Liverpool can disrupt them enough though, the end score could be anything you like. the front 3 of both teams is ridiculous right now.

it's going to be epic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

On paper, its probably the best match up of all the QFs so it should be a cracker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

Fernandinho a booking away from missing the second leg. If he does get carded then the second leg will be even more open with KDB or Gundogan filling in for him in defensive midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Can't see past City over two legs, Liverpool have a chance but they need to have a lead after the first leg which might make them more prone to a mistake.

As others have said, it'll be a cracker with some cracking goals and a dollop of Calamitous defending thrown in somewhere. 2-2 First leg, 4-2 Second Leg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

SlickRic wrote: »
    City should win. this will be won or lost in midfield and just how much pressure Liverpool can consistently put on City's midfield, and therefore backline.

Silva is playing this game. he wasn't in the 4-3 win for Liverpool. his inclusion is massive.

if City can get around Liverpool's press, this could be some hiding.

if Liverpool can disrupt them enough though, the end score could be anything you like. the front 3 of both teams is ridiculous right now.

it's going to be epic.
    Spot on. Kev has been getting all the plaudits this season, and rightly so; he has been brilliant for us. Ask any City fan though, and you'll find out just how important we feel Dave is to our team. The guy is a genius and has a magical ability to find a way through packed defences. His knack of finding the right pass at the right time is a joy to see. He has been brilliant for us. Amazing when you consider the anguish he has been going through in his private life. I'd have loved to see how that reversal at Anfield might have ended up had we had Dave in the team. Liverpool were wobbling badly at the end, after we'd got those two late goals. Mind you, a similar result (1 goal defeat with an away goal or two) wouldn't be the worst outcome for us. It has the potential to be a great tie.

*watch it turn into two dour games now!*

Didn't know that about Silva, poor bastard.

Obviously hoping for a City win overall. Hammering would be nice. Though it going to the 2nd leg all to play for then hammering them would be more satisfying. Sucks supporting a mid-table club this time of the season. :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    As much as I hate City, I hate Liverpool more

Pool win first match. That means City rest players against us so they are fully recovered for the second match, where they can make their comeback :P

As a neutral, in so far as I hate both teams, I'm looking forward to this. Should be a cracking game of football.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭MurDawg

United showed the way in neutralizing Salah. Predict city to win both legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Gomez, Can, Lallana and Matip all injured in the last week for Liverpool. I think three of those would have started against City and Lallana would have been on the bench. Bit of a blow that at exactly the wrong time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Didn't know that about Silva, poor bastard.

Obviously hoping for a City win overall. Hammering would be nice. Though it going to the 2nd leg all to play for then hammering them would be more satisfying. Sucks supporting a mid-table club this time of the season. :P

What's wrong with him ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Gomez, Can, Lallana and Matip all injured in the last week for Liverpool. I think three of those would have started against City and Lallana would have been on the bench. Bit of a blow that at exactly the wrong time.

Yeah this.

Really unfortunate timing. You can say what you like about Can but he's been very solid in Europe. Trent had a tough time against Zaha at the weekend and against Rashford a couple of weeks back. Leroy Sane v Trent Alexander Arnold doesn't sound like a contest....but I still don't think you can start Nathanial Clyne so there's no other option. Gomez would have started for sure. And Matip hasn't had a great season, but Lovren in a big game always makes you wary.

City are missing who, Stones and maybe Aguero? Gotta think even their replacements would be better than Liverpool's options.

On paper it's City easily. But it's not a lost cause. Liverpool need to stay within 2 goals tomorrow night to keep it alive I feel. Would take a win of any kind.

Going to head to the ground nice and early anyway to soak up the atmosphere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

8-10 wrote: »
    Yeah this.

Really unfortunate timing. You can say what you like about Can but he's been very solid in Europe. Trent had a tough time against Zaha at the weekend and against Rashford a couple of weeks back. Leroy Sane v Trent Alexander Arnold doesn't sound like a contest....but I still don't think you can start Nathanial Clyne so there's no other option. Gomez would have started for sure. And Matip hasn't had a great season, but Lovren in a big game always makes you wary.

City are missing who, Stones and maybe Aguero? Gotta think even their replacements would be better than Liverpool's options.

On paper it's City easily. But it's not a lost cause. Liverpool need to stay within 2 goals tomorrow night to keep it alive I feel. Would take a win of any kind.

Going to head to the ground nice and early anyway to soak up the atmosphere

Missing Mendy and Delphi also.

Missing Mendy and Delphi also.

I forgot Mendy, but Delph wouldn't be a starter usually for a game like tomorrow's right? Don't they play the same position?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

MurDawg wrote: »

No way this City team will allow their fullbacks to stay back and only get forward on occasion though, Salah and Mane will have acres of space out wide on the counter.. the overlapping fullbacks are fundamental to Pep’s system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

MurDawg wrote: »

City won't double up both their full-backs which is what Mourinho tends to do. Often works for him but City won't do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,628 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I’m going to do my part and go to the local to watch this .
    I have only watched 2 European games there and won them both ( urd and bvd )
    Really really looking forward to this:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

I forgot Mendy, but Delph wouldn't be a starter usually for a game like tomorrow's right? Don't they play the same position?

Delph would start if fit(assuming no mendy), delph has been first choice left back ever since Mendy got injured. I expext Danilo to play left back now. Not ideal.

Aguero out is a bit of a blow but i expect he will be on the bench.

Sterling as good as he has been has yet to play decent against liverpool since his move, i would start B silva ahead of him.

City need to get through the first 30 mins without conceding, that will make the job overall easier. Just quieten down the crowd.

POKERKING wrote: »
    Delph would start if fit(assuming no mendy), delph has been first choice left back ever since Mendy got injured. I expext Danilo to play left back now. Not ideal.

Would Zinchenko not play left back?

Doubt it in a game of this magnitude, reckon Danilo would be the “safer” bet that he would trust more to do what he needs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

astradave wrote: »

Doubt it in a game of this magnitude, reckon Danilo would be the “safer” bet that he would trust more to do what he needs

Yeah unlikely to be zinch hasnt played recently and generally plays against weaker teams or at home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I really hope nothing controversial or a dodgy sending off spoils these games.

As a lfc fan i think we have to take a lead to the Etihad to win the tie and progress. Hopefully theirs another special night tomorrow and some of the more inexperianced City players freeze in such a hostile atmosphere.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

don't necessarily think this is going to be hugely entertaining first leg. An early goal changes that of course.

It's in both teams interest to wait it out until the second leg, even a tight defeat either way and it's still very close. 1-2 City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Laporte will play left back, and manmark Salah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Gonna be some crack when both legs are dour nil all draws and the final score is 1-0 after peno's.

City team more or less picks itself tonight I think.
    Ederson, Walker, otamendi, kompany, danilo, d silva, fernandinho, KDB, B Silva, Jesus, Sane.

Can't wait...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

City team more or less picks itself tonight I think.
    Ederson, Walker, otamendi, kompany, danilo, d silva, fernandinho, KDB, B Silva, Jesus, Sane.

Can't wait...

Is Sterling out? Madness if Bernardo Silva starts ahead of him

• Advertisement

callaway92 wrote: »
    Is Sterling out? Madness if Bernardo Silva starts ahead of him

No he is not but sterling doesnt play well at anfield. No need ton expose him to the abuse that he would propbably get.I say he will be kept in reserve for the 2nd leg. B Silva would have a calmer head which is important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

BT doing a build up from 18:30, watch that or the Milan derby before hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Can't see past City going through over the 2 legs

If Liverpool are to have any chance they have to win tonight by 2 goals at least because the return fixture will be a much tougher prospect.

2-0 is the perfect scoreline, 3-1 keeps the tie alive also but anything closer would probably be the tie over as I can't see City losing at home

Laporte will play left back, and manmark Salah

I don’t agree, I think he might prefer a rightfooter on Salah as he will cut in on his left and a natural right footer could deal with that better. Will be interesting to see who is on the Left for City actually

No he is not but sterling doesnt play well at anfield. No need ton expose him to the abuse that he would propbably get.I say he will be kept in reserve for the 2nd leg. B Silva would have a calmer head which is important.
    Probably? There's nothing more certain.

• Advertisement

blueser wrote: »
    Probably? There's nothing more certain.

If teams were going to bench players for abuse they get from fans, there would be no one left to play the game.. a pro footballer knows that he is going to get abuse and should have the mentality to deal with that, otherwise he should be no where near a pitch in general. I’m sure Sterling won’t lose any sleep over what gets directed at him. Ye should play your best team In a CL QF and that team includes Sterling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I'd go as far as saying there is NOT A HOPE B.Silva will start ahead of Sterling.

If teams were going to bench players for abuse they get from fans, there would be no one left to play the game.. a pro footballer knows that he is going to get abuse and should have the mentality to deal with that, otherwise he should be no where near a pitch in general. I’m sure Sterling won’t lose any sleep over what gets directed at him. Ye should play your best team In a CL QF and that team includes Sterling.

Pep will be the judge of that. B Silva offers different attributes that Pep may want to use. He's a great player also.

I never questioned whether Pep should play Raz, of course he should play him (Sterling and Sane on the flanks with Gabby in the middle). I was merely commenting on the likelihood of him getting abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Id play 4 at the back
    Ederson
    Walker Kompany Otemendi Delph
    Fernindinho
    KDB Silva
    Sterling Jesus Sane

That's just me tho, I think Sane will do damage tonight there's weak links there ,Palace showed that with Trent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Considering Liverpool's biggest strength is the high pressing game. It'll be very interesting to see if City still insist on trying to play their way out through it. Against Klopps Dortmund, Pep was not afraid to have his team play over the press. City don't really a target man upfront, but he has used Pique, Martinez, in similar roles in the past.

One thing Liverpool have done almost all season almost is failed to remain compact between their defensive lines when pressing. There is very often a significant area of space between the back line and the defensive midfielders. It lends it self to long ball weakness. Something, I'd be surprised to see if Pep didn't try and target. Man United got great reward from it.

Worth also noting. Pep's away record in UCL knock out is not that great. He tends to be rather conservative. League game is a once off, lose it and you can still win the next. Knock out, lose it and that could be it. I think this might be a more cagey affair than the league fixture with City restricting the advancements of their full backs and Liverpool having to adapt appropriately.

Id play 4 at the back
    Ederson
    Walker Kompany Otemendi Delph
    Fernindinho
    KDB Silva
    Sterling Jesus Sane

That's just me tho, I think Sane will do damage tonight there's weak links there ,Palace showed that with Trent.
    Delph's not available, is he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Turtwig wrote: »
    Considering Liverpool's biggest strength is the high pressing game. It'll be very interesting to see if City still insist on trying to play their way out through it. Against Klopps Dortmund, Pep was not afraid to have his team play over the press. City don't really a target man upfront, but he has used Pique, Martinez, in similar roles in the past.

One thing Liverpool have done almost all season almost is failed to remain compact between their defensive lines when pressing. There is very often a significant area of space between the back line and the defensive midfielders. It lends it self to long ball weakness. Something, I'd be surprised to see if Pep didn't try and target. Man United got great reward from it.

Worth also noting. Pep's away record in UCL knock out is not that great. He tends to be rather conservative. League game is a once off, lose it and you can still win the next. Knock out, lose it and that could be it. I think this might be a more cagey affair than the league fixture with City restricting the advancements of their full backs and Liverpool having to adapt appropriately.

Long balls from Ederson to the left wing will be the main goal kicks i say he takes

blueser wrote: »
    Delph's not available, is he?

Delph is available. Pep said it is between Delph and Danilo for the left back spot - but he isn't telling us who.

I think it will be Delph.

rwbug wrote: »
    Delph is available. Pep said it is between Delph and Danilo for the left back spot - but he isn't telling us who.

I think it will be Delph.
    That's excellent news. Fabian has been a more than adequate stand in for Mendy. I'd go with the back 4 posted a few posts back in that case.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement